Glenwood Parlor Stove clearances and floor protection?????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rc-worth

Nov 12, 2008
Western MA
Hi!

first time posting . . .

I have read gooseriders article (https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Hearth_Design/) which was VERY helpful but I am still having some trouble. I am hoping you all can help!

Here's the story: we are restoring a modern glenwood parlor stove and would like to install it in the house. We are going back and forth about whether we should install it in the existing fireplace or build a new hearth and chimney. We are leaning toward the fireplace because it seems easier, cheaper and faster for right now. Its getting cold and we are on a budget! But the catch is that the stove is too tall (and too big overall) to sit on the existing hearth and be able to get the pipe into the fireplace opening. So we figure we need to build a lower hearth out from the existing hearth. I am getting VERY HUNG UP on how this hearth needs to be built i.e. R and K values, materials, thickness, etc. I obviously dont have a users manual for this stove and i am having a hard time interpreting all of the information I have read. Can you help? The stove guy is scheduled to come install it at the end of the week which i dont think can happen unless you have some kind of quick fix idea to get us up and running.

Here is what i know: from the floor to the firebox is 7 inches. the new hearth at its absolute maximum can only be 4 inches high in order to make the stove low enough. I dont know if this is enough thickness. To make it more complicated, the room is carpeted. Do we have to rip up the carpet under the stove?
Here is what the MA code says: "6007.14.1 Used Solid Fuel-burning Appliance
Clearances to Combustibles. In the absence of tested, listed clearances and floor protection requirements, used solid fuel-burning appliances shall be required to be installed in accordance with the clearances of 780 CMR 6007.11. Floor protection requirements shall be evaluated by engineering methods or otherwise
four inches (102 mm) of millboard having a thermal conductivity of:
k = 0.84 (Btu) (inch)/(foot squared) (hour) (degree F)
or an equivalent noncombustible floor protector of the same overall thermal conductivity shall be required (also see 780 CMR 6007.10.1)"

what does this mean in terms of r value?! can i use a material with a greater r value than "millboard" and be able to make it less than 4 inches thick?

The Good Time Stove Co (www.goodtimestove.com) sells antique stoves and recommends this:
"Stove has legs that provide over 6 inches of open space beneath the fire chamber or base. Protect combustible floors with 2 inches thick closely spaced brick, concrete or stone. The masonry must extend 18 inches on all sides of the appliance and be covered by 24-gauge sheet metal. Non-combustible materials commonly used to improve the appearance of the installation, such as stone, tile, brick or marble chips can be place over the basic NFPA recommended materials." This seems doable but i want another opinion . . .

Any recommendations??? Is it possible? Should we scrap the fireplace idea and go with a new hearth? I really like this stove. Its shaping up to be really pretty. We woould really love to use it but want to do it right and MAKE SURE IT IS SAFE. i dont want to worry about the house catching fire 24/7!

One more question . . . the fireplace is at the end of the house (1300 sq ft, 1 1/2 story). i know its best to locate the woodstove in the middle of the space but its a pretty small house with an open floorplan so we are hoping it will be ok. i have read that sometimes chimneys on the ends of houses dont draw well. Do you have experience with this? is this another reason not to use the fireplace?

I would greatly appreciate any advice!! I would love to move forward on this project soon! Thank you in advance!! :)

Hang in there, can be done. You should read up on ScottF's recent experience with his successful antique stove restoration and installation.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/25142/

Here's some info on conversion of k values to their reciprocal R values:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/k_values_what_does_it_all_mean

Exterior chimney's can draw poorer than interior chimney's because it takes a long time to warm up their mass and reverse draft. If the fireplace is balky to start and smoky now, the stove may draft poorly. However, if the chimney has enough height, often this can be nicely improved by adding an insulated liner for the stove.

hi,
thanks for the info . . .
still working on it (spending way too much time). inspector says 2" of closely spaced brick with 24 guage sheet metal, 18" in all directions meets code. seems like not a very high r value. would like to be a little safer. i tried to figure out the r value of "four inches (102 mm) of millboard having a thermal conductivity of: k = 0.84 (Btu) (inch)/(foot squared) (hour) (degree F)" I came to 4.76-R!!! That seems ridiculously high especially in comparison to the 2" of brick. i dont know . . . i guess i'll do the brick and try to add a little something else in there for safe measure. micore if i can find it. no luck so far . . .
thanks again!
rachel

Status
Not open for further replies.