Gloves for Sawing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ManiacPD

Jul 1, 2008
Maine
Does anyone know of a glove that has an elastic wrist cuff but also has a gauntlet? Seems like its one or the other. The elastic is nice to keep saw dust out and the gauntlet keeps from scraping my wrists up.

Thanks

ManiacPD said:
Does anyone know of a glove that has an elastic wrist cuff but also has a gauntlet? Seems like its one or the other. The elastic is nice to keep saw dust out and the gauntlet keeps from scraping my wrists up.

Thanks

Nope.

Hope this helps.

For what it's worth dept. the Lumberworks chainsaw gloves that I got a while back (if you use the search, you will see a writeup I did on them a few months ago) have an elastic wrist, but it is quite long, I would say that it comes up at least as far as most gauntlet style gloves.

That said, while I think the lumberworks gloves are great chainsaw gloves, I probably wouldn't want to use them as my main wood handling gloves - they are expensive and wood tears the heck out of most gloves. In addition you get a certain amount of extra stiffness from the chainsaw resistant padding.

My preferred gloves for most general wood handling, other than using a chainsaw or swinging a sledge / maul / axe are the Atlas FIT type gloves - a stretch knit fabric glove w/ a rubber coating on the palms and fingers - good protection, very durable, and fairly inexpensive. The Therma-plus version is also quite warm, surprisingly so. They look similar to the ones that Jamess67 mentioned, w/o the cut resistance (which doesn't hurt, but I don't think is that essential for wood handling, and I seriously doubt would meet the standards for use as a chainsaw glove. However they do look like nice gloves, I'm not putting them down!) Again, they have an elastic cuff, but it comes up fairly high, gives some decent wrist protection, but not as good as a gauntlet - however I like the way they fit, so for me it's a worthwhile tradeoff.

If you want serious wrist and arm protection, there is a guy over on Arboristsite that sells some leather sleeves that are designed to be worn sort of like chaps for your arms, and would definitely offer good protection against brush and other abrasion. Never tried them, but they look like they'd work well.

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
For what it's worth dept. the Lumberworks chainsaw gloves that I got a while back (if you use the search, you will see a writeup I did on them a few months ago) have an elastic wrist, but it is quite long, I would say that it comes up at least as far as most gauntlet style gloves.

That said, while I think the lumberworks gloves are great chainsaw gloves, I probably wouldn't want to use them as my main wood handling gloves - they are expensive and wood tears the heck out of most gloves. In addition you get a certain amount of extra stiffness from the chainsaw resistant padding.

My preferred gloves for most general wood handling, other than using a chainsaw or swinging a sledge / maul / axe are the Atlas FIT type gloves - a stretch knit fabric glove w/ a rubber coating on the palms and fingers - good protection, very durable, and fairly inexpensive. The Therma-plus version is also quite warm, surprisingly so. They look similar to the ones that Jamess67 mentioned, w/o the cut resistance (which doesn't hurt, but I don't think is that essential for wood handling, and I seriously doubt would meet the standards for use as a chainsaw glove. However they do look like nice gloves, I'm not putting them down!) Again, they have an elastic cuff, but it comes up fairly high, gives some decent wrist protection, but not as good as a gauntlet - however I like the way they fit, so for me it's a worthwhile tradeoff.

If you want serious wrist and arm protection, there is a guy over on Arboristsite that sells some leather sleeves that are designed to be worn sort of like chaps for your arms, and would definitely offer good protection against brush and other abrasion. Never tried them, but they look like they'd work well.

Gooserider

Thanks for the help. I'll check them out. Coincidentally the same day I posted I got the Bailey's master catalog in the mail. They have Youngstown Fusion XT gloves that look very nice. I will probably order a pair of these and try them. If they don't work I'll check into the Lumberworks.

I had a nice pair of Husky gloves last year that were a gift. I destroyed them in two days. Apparently they were made for holding a saw, not moving chunks of wood off the pile.

Thanks again!

Paul

How are you scraping up your wrists? In a lifetime of wood cutting I can think of only a handfull of times I've ever scraped the inside of my wrists.

Bigg_Redd said:
How are you scraping up your wrists? In a lifetime of wood cutting I can think of only a handfull of times I've ever scraped the inside of my wrists.

I was thinking the same thing.

The best glove that I've found for handling wood is http://extremechimneys.com/frosty-grip-premium-gloves.html. They are sold at every Speedway gas station I've ever been to, plus lots of others. I work in foodservice delivery, and they were what I always used in the winter. Cardboard boxes are amazingly abrasive, and these gloves held up pretty well. I went to the woods one day and forgot my usual gloves. Frosty Grips was all I had, so I put them on. I haven't used another glove since, and I'm still on the first pair. I've cut, split and stacked 6-7 cords, plus all the wood that I've burned this year, and the coating is just starting to peel off two fingertips.

$5.99 well spent.

I have a pair of those "Frosty Grips" as well - got mine at the local True Value Hardware store... I would say that it's likely any place that carries "BOSS" brand gloves is likely to have, or be able to get them.

I agree the Frosty Grips are nice and warm even under fairly severe conditions. I have even started wearing them when using the snowblower, and still stayed warm. If I let snow build up on them my hands would start to get cold, but as soon as I would brush the worst of the snow off they'd warm right back up again. I would certainly consider purchasing another pair.

They are just slightly heavier than the Atlas "Therma-FIT" gloves that I've mentioned in other threads - this is both good and bad - they are slightly warmer than the Therma-FITs but also slightly stiffer, the pre-curved fingers tend to want to push your fingers back to their molded positions, a subtle effect that can add significantly to hand fatigue over the course of several hours. I also found they had a slightly bigger impact on my "feel" and dexterity. Of course this is pretty much of a tradeoff with any gloves, the thicker they get the more they inhibit your feel... I've worn considerably worse, even as work gloves, let alone cold weather gloves.

I've also found there were times when the Frosty Grips were TOO warm, and made my hands get uncomfortably sweaty - the Therma-Fits seemed to do a better job of wicking the sweat away, and not overheating as much.

Overall while I'd reccomend the Frosty Grips, I find that unless I'm doing stuff in extremely cold / wet conditions, I tend to prefer the Therma-FITs as my "go-to" glove; it seems to me that they do a better job of getting that tricky balance between comfort, warmth, and flexibility just right - of course your mileage may vary...

Gooserider

Bigg_Redd said:

Handling brush is the main problem. I was looking to find a pair that will work for both felling/limbing and working up the wood pile.

Thanks for all the helpful comments

ManiacPD said:
Bigg_Redd said:

Handling brush is the main problem. I was looking to find a pair that will work for both felling/limbing and working up the wood pile.

Thanks for all the helpful comments

For brush handling, I'd say some sort of item like those "arm chaps" I mentioned earlier is probably the best choice. Otherwise I'd tend to say that the best gloves for working the wood pile are probably going to be different from the ones you want to use while handling the saw - A PITA to keep changing, I agree, but if you want to maximize the life of your expensive chainsaw gloves, it's best to switch to a less expensive and better suited pair of work gloves for the actual wood stacking and so forth.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.