Gloves or No

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I use the welders gloves anytime the stove is hot.. more than once my dumb self has reached out and rested or pushed off the top/front of the stove when standing up or kneeling down...

Yep - having the gloves on by default makes all the difference when I have one of my occasional brain farts....

I must agree with Fireman... Wear your PPE (personal protective equipment). I'm a firefighter myself - 28 years. I keep the last pair of gloves that I retired from service next to the stove and use them everytime. Never know when an ember might pop out. I just pick it up and back in it goes. If I dont like the lay of the fire I reach in and rearrange!

we use the little coa shovel/scooper when an ember falls out and have never gotten burnt. I don't think I would try to pick it up even if I did have gloves.

but after getting black on a few otherwise perfectly good dress-work shirts
Had to read this 3 times....thought you were telling us you wear a dress

Have a pair of leather gloves right there just in case I load a split too big and have to run outside with it half burning......or something needs to be moved around...other than that I cannot get in the habit of putting gloves on...and yes have plenty of burns to show how dumb I am.

Reasons for my using gloves in order of importance: 1) Splinters They hurt almost as bad as burns and seem for some odd reason to be alcohol, the drinkin' kind, resistant, 2) Rodent and misc. small animal excrement / housing remnants on wood, (germophobe, yup) 3) Heat protection.

Every year I do end up with a new scar or two on my right forearm since my gloves stop at the wrist. The scars make good conversation around the lunch table at work in July though.

Often but not always - there are non-leather fire retardent gloves that dogs wont eat

You can tell the NO glove wood burners ,the ones with all the scars(and no hair) on their forearms.
Damm, I'm gonna start loading my stove with my legs

yup welders gloves, I too like to partake in after work drinks and can get a little sloppy when loading

I like to think that my gloves look more like super hero gauntlets . . . I have thought about adding the spikes on the side to look more like Batman . . . abeit a short, fat and balding Batman with no ninja-like moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.