Gloves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 26, 2013
Minnesota
When I'm working with & handling firewood it seems like I go through gloves at a ridiculous pace. I've tried more expensive Kevlar gloves, leather gloves, everything I could find and it still seems like I wear through them like there's no tomorrow. I've finally resorted to using gardening gloves, they suck but they are cheap at least. Anyone have a better solution?

A lot of glove threads already out there. The nitrile coated gloves have been holding up for me pretty well. I have a pair of Ansell gloves that are holding up very well.

Wells Lamont leather gloves have held up well for me.

I second the Atlas gloves. I've tried more expensive leather gloves but it seems as though my right thumb and forefinger wear through. Tried the blue rubber coated #350 Atlas gloves and am very happy with their life span. Much cheaper and provides decent grip when handling the chainsaw as well.

Reactions: NW Walker
Wells Lamont leather gloves have held up well for me.

I used to wear them but sadly, we can no longer find them here. Wells Lamont won't sell direct either.

Cutting wood during the winter months means I was some warm gloves (don't need them in the summer). For me, that does not mean Thinsulate lined gloves but pile lined gloves and Wells Lamont makes the best that I am aware of. So a few years I found a company on line called Galeton and I order a dozen at a time. Sadly they cheapened their gloves (at least the ones I buy) so when I go through this dozen pair I'll be looking around again.

I have used all different types of gloves but by far the best i have found are the one below, and the best bit is they are $1 a pair. I have about 5 pairs of them around the house and outside and i still haven't worn a pair out yet.

• Breathable cotton that allows hand to stay dry
  • Great for gripping
  • Suitable for gardening
  • Comfort fitting elastic wrist bands
  • Non-slip palm grips allow easier picking up of objects
  • Size: Small/Medium

gloves.jpg

I have been buying Harbor Freight goat skin gloves. They run them quite often at 4.99...they are light gray and they seem to hold up better that cowhide. Deer skin really holds up well but they are expensive and I don't know whether the extra wear makes enough difference for the price.

Whatever you sue, is going to wear out. I tried many.
Now I buy the cheap leather palmed workhorse work gloves as HD or Lowes, but the pack load. Wear a pair out, toss em, and grab a new pair out of the pack.
No sense spending big bucks on gloves that will wear out anyways.

Find a style you feel comfortable in - it's an essential part of PPE
for me it's leather drivers gloves by the pack from Grainger, if a stitch lets loose on one hand save the other for another pair.
And pick out the few velvety pairs for light duty work.

A lot of glove threads already out there. The nitrile coated gloves have been holding up for me pretty well. I have a pair of Ansell gloves that are holding up very well.

Same with me. Like Ansell gloves.

I too use wells Lamont all leather 9.99 a pr. They're great for about 2 winter months of heavy stacking and splitting. So 3 or 4 pairs a year. I try to wear them in summer too, just to save my hands from splinters and smashed fingers. WL's seem to fit for me.

That's a much better strategy than what I've been doing -- trying to repair them with electrical tape (which, btw, doesn't work so well)
LOL, just toss the damn things. They are cheap enough.

Reactions: Trilifter7
I have trouble finding gloves that fit me...so most of the time I am limited to what I can find. I have large hands and found a set of
three at sams club that actually fit and lasted me quite a while. Wolverine was the brand...they don't carry them anymore...:(

I go through two pairs a year, depending on what chores I do. I got a pair of the Wells Lamont at Tractor Supply, and they're my favorite. I just decided to treat myself since I get a kick of out the right tactile feel, fit, weight and dexterity of a nice pair. And I try them on, too. Some pairs will be better than others hanging on the same rack. Who other than aliens have a pinky the same size as their middle finger, anyway?

I buy them when I see a neat pair, hopefully on sale. I've ended up keeping gloves at different "workstations" around the house. Son-in-law borrowed a pair while we moved something, and he handed them back to me asking where they went, and I thought for a minute...

"Those are my upstairs-indoors pair. Don't confuse them with my downstairs-indoors pair which are different from my strictly outdoors pair that must never be confused with my Emergency-I-Forgot-My-Gloves-Truck-Cab pair." >>

Reactions: PapaDave
I get leather gloves at work, that become somewhat oil-soaked and dirty after several days of use. We arent allowed to use them after they get that way, so rather than pitch them I reuse them for firewood handling at home. When the fingers.wear out of them, I pitch them......

As was already stated, firewood handling is very hard on gloves. Cheap is the best kind.....

That's a much better strategy than what I've been doing -- trying to repair them with electrical tape (which, btw, doesn't work so well)

That's silly, you have to use duct tape ;)

I've used a bunch, and just got a new pair at HD. I forget the brand, but they have an orange material on the back and leather palms and fingers. I go through gloves pretty quick when moving firewood (I guess we all do), and don't expect these will last very long. They were more than I usually pay, but didn't feel like looking around, and I've been getting a lot of splinters lately. Little ones that are just enough to bug the crap out of you, but difficult to get out. My wife usually has to dig 'em out, and she's not gentle about it. I'll take the gloves, thank you.
The cloth gloves turn into petrified statues when I process a lot of Spruce/Pine.>>
The cheap 50 cent/pair cotton gloves from Wally's work, but really get torn up.

I always wear gloves for my work where I handle a lot of cement and prone to getting my hands wet. I stopped using leather gloves long ago because I didn't have enough dexterity with them, and when they get wet they take too long to dry out, and if you leave them to dry out over night they shrink and get hard. So I tried a variety of other gloves and came to the conclusion that the cheap Nitrile Tough Gloves work the best for most applications. They offer good protection and they breath well, but best of all they are dirt cheap. If I buy them in packs I can get them for less than a buck a pair, and in the most rugged applications they last for at least a week, and sometimes a lot longer. I even use them when riding my motorcycle, in which case they could probably last for years, or at least until I have my first spill. !!!
mechanics-gloves-for-sale-ireland.jpg

Oh, and they are machine washable too, so if you don't wear them out right away you can always wash the sweat out of them.

I have trouble finding gloves that fit comfortably. Finally found some cheapies that hold up ok and are comfortable to wear. Found them for two bucks at a small local grocer, look like brown jersey gloves but with a red lining.

I've found that leather welding gloves work pretty well for splitting. They're fairly durable, usually have a little bit of padding or insulation, and are long enough that you don't get much dirt, etc, in the back of the glove. Obviously, the dexterity is pretty bad, so I usually go bare handed when running the chainsaw, at least for the throttle hand, but for everything else (running the splitter, swinging the maul, stacking) I don't find the lack of dexterity to be a big drawback. Also, if you have big hands, they usually come in big enough sizes that they can still go on and off easily.

Why is the right glove always more cheaply made than the left? ;) I have lots of left gloves in excellent shape.

Funny, I always find that lefty wears out quicker. I need to start making a point of wearing new ones only for running the saw, splitting tears them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.