Gloves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mbcik

Dec 30, 2017
Oregon
Sorry if this has been asked before. Do you use gloves when moving or stacking wood for a couple of hours?

Thanks!

Yep...in cold weather the rubber coated frost gloves and leather gloves in warm weather...

I never wear gloves to handle firewood or while using an axe. I usually use my chainsaw gloves when using it.

Sorry if this has been asked before. Do you use gloves when moving or stacking wood for a couple of hours?

Thanks!
Usually, but not always. Unless it's super hot outside I grab whatever is handy, either cheapy leather gloves or the grippy cloth ones. I hate splinters but I'm actually more worried about spiders. :eek:

I wear gloves when using the splitter or when its cold out. When using the splitter I use mechanics gloves, when its cold out ive had like with leather insulated, the synthetic insulated always fall apart on me

Yes, I use gloves all the time. If not it seems my hands are splinter or scrape or cut magnets, no idea why. Right now I am seeping from a paper cut like slice I got from the foil seal thingie I pulled off a fresh can of coffee a couple hours ago. Shoulda put the gloves on for that too I guess.

Frankly, why would you not want to wear gloves when working like that? I've gotten pretty fond of those rubber coated ones. They not only protect your hands, but they are grippy (at least the better ones) and less likely to slip. I'd suggest good quality ones, though. They last a lot longer and work better.

My favorite ones are Atlas Therma Fit that I believe I got at my chain saw shop. They are showing virtually no wear and are thicker than most and grip well. Well, these: https://www.glovestock.com/showabest-atlas-thermafit-gloves-451.html

Reactions: mountain man 2
Yes. I always wear gloves when handling firewood.

When I'm cutting, I had a few pair of Kevlar lined gloves that were given to me. I now have a pair of those that were tossed by a pipeliner working a local job. For moving wood from the basement to the fireplace, I just use the gloves I use for the stove, which are a pair of Hobart welding gloves.

It seems like any time I decide to forgo the gloves, even to move a piece or two, I get a splinter.

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
Yes. I always wear gloves when handling firewood.

When I'm cutting, I had a few pair of Kevlar lined gloves that were given to me. I now have a pair of those that were tossed by a pipeliner working a local job. For moving wood from the basement to the fireplace, I just use the gloves I use for the stove, which are a pair of Hobart welding gloves.

It seems like any time I decide to forgo the gloves, even to move a piece or two, I get a splinter.

Gloves while processing and stacking wood, splinters and super callouses are not very attractive. I don't bother with them when grabbing a load for the night off the stack, unless I find a nasty rat nest with all the nasties that come with it all over my wood, then its gloves and sits outside the door until I throw it into the stove.

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
Great responses, thanks everyone. I don’t normally use gloves, but I’m also only moving wood a few times a year for a family member.

In a few weeks I will be getting my own wood stove and then I’ll have to work with wood much more often. I’ll probably use gloves at that time.

It’s just that I’m an office worker with like no callusous. I like the idea of toughening up my hands a little bit so my hands aren’t as pretty and soft as my wife’s!

Reactions: coutufr

Thanks!

I totally use gloves. Though I'm an old city guy. I used to go through them like nothing. Good leather work gloves would get holes in the fingers in a couple months. Then I bought a pair at Menards, which don't seem to be made any more. Rugged Wear is the brand. Black, with blue spider patterns on the palms. Liked them so much I got a second pair, but never seem them anymore, though Rugged Wear is still there. Even though they're not lined, they're also fine for splitting or stacking wood at twenty degrees. They're the only glove that does everything well.

I try to wear them to set an example for my boys, especially when it is warm enough for bitey stuff. I rarely do if they aren't around though. +1 on the rubberized ones, but the teenagers prefer the big gauntlet style hardware store cheapos.

Reactions: Mbcik
I use mechanics gloves that I get on sale once in a while at Menards. I use a little trick to make them last a long time. I take some shoe goo (or equivalent) and reinforce the finger ends and thumb bearing area. I can get maybe 100 or so hours out of them that way and can reinforce them again if necessary. A tube of shoe goo is about $4 and lasts for a long time in this type of application (works great on shoes too). I like the mechanics gloves because they are thin enough where you still have a good sense of feel for what you are doing, this is especially important when I am splitting with my Fiskars.

gloves of some sort or other
splinters, dirt, bird chit, etc.

just a head's up : Kinko warm grip #1790-L stink something awful
hopefully just a bad batch of rubber coating
they're not allowed in the house - they are that bad.