Glow Boy Classic Insert having combustion fan problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Abg

Nov 2, 2014
Ct
Having trouble with the combustion fan not running all the time but it will run on high. New fan installed the last month of last season. I believe it may be some type of limit switch. Need assistance there is no technical support with this stove anymore. Thank you for your time

Hi Abg, and welcome to this forum. Sorry nobody else has jumped in yet with any suggestions, but this post will bump your post back up in the que. I'm not familiar with your Glow Boy stove, so hopefully someone with more specific knowledge of your model can chime in.

A Google search found this dansons.com site that shows the Glow Boy manual for their various model types, is your stove one of these, ie Figure 3 of page 9?
http://www.dansons.com/pdfs/manuals/manual-glowboy-fs.pdf .

Last edited by a moderator:
Appears Danson is only making pellet grills anymore...

Probably need to check each of the limit switches - since the fan is only running on high, my first check would be the fan limit switch F140. If it is no longer able to sense heat changes, it's default would always be to run the fan on high...

Appears Danson is only making pellet grills anymore...

Probably need to check each of the limit switches - since the fan is only running on high, my first check would be the fan limit switch F140. If it is no longer able to sense heat changes, it's default would always be to run the fan on high...
The pellet stove actually starts to shut down now with combustion and convection fan turning off then it will start back up about a minute or two later.

Hi Abg, and welcome to this forum. Sorry nobody else has jumped in yet with any suggestions, but this post will bump your post back up in the que. I'm not familiar with your Glow Boy stove, so hopefully someone with more specific knowledge of your model can chime in.

A Google search found this dansons.com site that shows the Glow Boy manual for their various model types, is your stove one of these, ie Figure 3 of page 9?
http://www.dansons.com/pdfs/manuals/manual-glowboy-fs.pdf .
Thank you for your input

Is the stove over-firing Abg - ie is the top too hot to touch? Or is it doing it at normal operating temperature, or is it doing it at start-up? It sounds like an electrical glitch somewhere in your limit switches or circuit board. Wish I could you help more. Hopefully someone with more knowledge of that stove will chime in. This post will bump you back up again to the top of the thread list.

Is the stove over-firing Abg - ie is the top too hot to touch? Or is it doing it at normal operating temperature, or is it doing it at start-up? It sounds like an electrical glitch somewhere in your limit switches or circuit board. Wish I could you help more. Hopefully someone with more knowledge of that stove will chime in. This post will bump you back up again to the top of the thread list.
I have just closed the circuit on every limit switch and vacuum switch and I still have the same problem. I believe it must be in the control board. The combustion fan is intermittent on all but the high setting. This stove is an older model 2002. It has three big modules for a control board. I hope this is more information for much needed help. Thank you

Sounds like the board to me. I would rule out the combustion blower but it really sounds like the speed control portion on the board for the combustion blower has gone wonky. Failing speed control components ie triacs are fairly common.

Last edited:
Should be able to repair it. The triacs are pretty easy to spot, they are usually a line of transistors on heat sinks. If the OP can solder then it should only be a few bucks for the triacs. If the OP can't solder, now would be the perfect time to learn:)

Thank you for the help. This control board actually has a 30minute, 3 second and ac phase controller as well as 2 manual knobs 1 for heat selection and the other for convection speed. I've been searching the web and it seems I may be able to upgrade to the new digital board with a new wiring harness. Anybody ever try this?

I did the upgrade years ago. It took about 20 minutes. I then sold my working control board on eBay to completely pay for the upgrade.

My stove has been running with the upgraded control board for 7 years. It burns less pellets as well. Spend the extra cash and get the thermostat.

I also did this conversion on some customers stoves, they were happy as well. PM me if you need help

Status
Not open for further replies.