Glowing red secondary burn tubes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zanp

Dec 4, 2007
Asheville NC
I have a Regency I3100 insert and noticed that a portion of the 2ndary burn tubes were glowing red. I cranked the air down once I saw this.

Is this common or is this considering over firing?

in my quadrafire the tubes will glow if the wood is too close. if you have a temp gauge on your stack and its under 700 degrees or so i wouldnt worry. but thats what i was told by my installer from quadra fire not sure about regency

I can't speak specifically for Regency, but my tubes often glow in my 13NC and I consider that normal operation and not cause for alarm. Over time, it may cause the tubes to wear out, but I imagine that would be a long term problem, as I'm sure your tubes aren't glowing all the time.

I've got the Hampton version of your stove, and I did that during the first few weeks of burning. Had some oak going pretty well, and it freaked me out a little, but I'm just learning that with this stove it's better to add a few splits every few hours as opposed to packing the firebox full and really getting it hot.

My second from the back tube glows daily. No poblems here. That tells me the stove is at a good temp. I haven't really observed the other tubes glow though.

On a side note, I rotate the tubes every now and then. I have myself believing they may wear longer.

Tubes in my 13NC Insert have been glowing at times since early 2006, and show absolutely no signs of needing replacement. I fire that puppy pretty hard too.

I often see mine glow on a hot burn... mostly with a high btu wood like oak. Seems that the middle two glow more than the outer two. When I had the stove apart this summer to replace the baffle, I inpected them carefully. Despite a bit of sag in one, they appeared to be structurally sound. I have about 4 seasons on them thus far.

Anyone know the typical replacement cost for the tubes?

bjorn773 said:
I often see mine glow on a hot burn... mostly with a high btu wood like oak. Seems that the middle two glow more than the outer two. When I had the stove apart this summer to replace the baffle, I inpected them carefully. Despite a bit of sag in one, they appeared to be structurally sound. I have about 4 seasons on them thus far.

Don`t get mine glowing, and only take the top of the insert temp to 650. Plenty, plenty hot enough. I think that glowing tubes =early replacement. :eek:hh:

Check your manual, but over-firing in my book is only when the top of the firebox or pipe glows red. Now that said, yellow is too hot. Otherwise I think you're fine. Call the customer service at Regency and see what they say, but I'd be surprised if they said it was anything but normal. It's important for combustion to have the secondary air really hot.

pulldownclaw said:
I've got the Hampton version of your stove, and I did that during the first few weeks of burning. Had some oak going pretty well, and it freaked me out a little, but I'm just learning that with this stove it's better to add a few splits every few hours as opposed to packing the firebox full and really getting it hot.

huh.... for most its the opposite pack it full set and forget it...that gets you long burn times

Ha, I see there's something going here I need to learn about, stack temp, i.e., fish said: "...temp gauge on your stack and its under 700 degrees" How does one measure the "stack" temperature on an insert? Then I see sonnyibc says: "...top of the insert ..." I can do that, and take that to me top of the firebox metal on the face near the top.

I had the heat pump on tonight, but haven't yet put the first fire in my new Quadrafire 4100I. I think I'll wait until my wife's out-of-town, so if I get some unpleasant smells I can work them out before she come home. I do understand to start with small fires, and I will carefully read the Quad instructions. I do intend to use one of the magnet attached temperature gauges.

My Jotul Oslo gets the tubes glowing on a regular basis, and the temp on top of the stove will only be 5-600 degrees. I think glowing tubes are a normal part of an efficient burn.

-Sheepdog

Sheepdog said:
My Jotul Oslo gets the tubes glowing on a regular basis, and the temp on top of the stove will only be 5-600 degrees. I think glowing tubes are a normal part of an efficient burn.

-Sheepdog

Mine don`t glow with those temps, but then of course, my stainless tubes are made of metric material :lol:

Timely topic, I had mine glow too for the first time last night in my Ultima. Yup had me kinda freaked too. Gonna have to invest in one of those I.R. thermometers so I can shoot my stack to measure it.

Now were getting somewhere (for dummies like me) - can/should I try to see the tubes on my Quad 4100I to see if they are red = secondary burn?

If our getting flames from the secondary holes, your getting secondary burn. Tubes may glow, but not necessarily. As long as you have the flames, you don't have to go out of your way to make the tubes glow.
But if they do glow, your fine.

Reactions: davidmsem
Status
Not open for further replies.