Gluing Foam Pipe Insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
What is a good way to glue foam pipe insulation?
I've been using cable ties to keep it together in some way, but I'd like to glue it together for a better vapor seal.
I've tested a hot melt glue gun. It works okay, but sticks only adequately, has the potential to burn you and melt the insulation, and does have to be pushed together for a little while.
I wonder if there is some nifty contact glue that people have used that compatible with foam that could be used to quickly seal up the foam insulation?
Thanks.

Not glue, but I wrap duct tape around them. Use a bit more than you think that you'll need and it will should work well.

Some of them come with adhesive already on the seams, but they can be awkward to put on from the sides prematurely sticking together.
I prefer wire ties myself.

Thanks.
This afternoon I tried some of pvc glue but of course that wasn't any good.
I also tried some Weldwood Contact Cement and that seemed to work pretty well. It too has a dauber but seemed to take a little less force to pull it apart compared to the hot melt.
The contact cement, which I imagine could be similar to the rubatex, could be a little hard to apply because it has to stay apart for a while, although maybe that's not a must?
I'll checkout that Rubatex stuff.

With my business I deal with this stuff almost daily. The type that has adhesive already on it is OK until you walk away, it still needs taped, cold and hot weather ( if it is exposed) will release the adhesive. I don't see how anything could be easier than Duct Tape or electrical tape.

The stuff from Rubatex is nothing more than expensive contact cement. We used to put the insulation on refrigerant lines with the gap at the 3 or 9 o'clock position and slab the cement on both sides at the same time. The weight of the insulation would keep enough of a gap to allow the cement to dry and then just pinch it together.

I like the idea of hot melt, but contact cement always worked well on refrigerant lines. They really need a good vapor barrier to keep the condensation down.

Chris

Thanks. I think I'll probably go with the contact cement.
It's not like there will be a lot of force on the stuff, pulling it apart.
This foam stuff is lighter than refrigerant stuff, so I might have to have some strategy to keep them apart while it dries.

Status
Not open for further replies.