Gnarly Old Sugar Maple

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I have three piles of gnarly old sugar maple that I'll get down and stacked before winter, should be some nice btu's.

zap

Attachments

• 100_0226.jpg
    100_0226.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 327
  • 100_0227.jpg
    100_0227.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 353
Ratman said:
zap..I think you meant the winter of 2020 by the time you get to burn those stacks.

Only Quads and Backwoods Savage have that much wood cut, weather here sucks the last two days but Friday and Saturday look like good days then the rain returns, guess it might be time to cover just the tops of some cherry and maple.

zap

Zap, might I suggest "Farmville", as a way to spend all of your free time? ;-P Allright already, I'll keep cutting if you do! (please tell me you've stopped! :-S )

Beetle-Kill said:
Zap, might I suggest "Farmville", as a way to spend all of your free time? ;-P Allright already, I'll keep cutting if you do! (please tell me you've stopped! :-S )

Done cutting until I get 8-10 face cord stacked, by then it will be only weekends when I'm not watching Div. 1 college hockey at Clarkson University.

Last year was a tough year for Clarkson so hopefully this year will be better.

zap

Well, I'll be rooting for Clarkson U., for no other reason than to keep you out of the woods and relaxed! :cheese:

zapny said:
I have three piles of gnarly old sugar maple that I'll get down and stacked before winter, should be some nice btu's.

zap

I picked up a gnarly, knotted section of sugar maple trunk that someone else didn't want to process. Now a couple years later when I find those splits in the stacks it feels like picking up a rock or petrified wood. Now I know where the term "rock" maple comes from... good stuff. Took a good 2 years to get it seasoned though...

It makes for some great BTU's on those colder nights.

zap

Two years, it must of been real GGGGGGGGNarly.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.