Go Bigger, or stay with originals?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Armaton

Aug 22, 2011
Hastings, Michigan
I have an 850 gallon 112" tall vertical air receiver tank that has 1" bungs. 1 on the very top dome I intend to use for air separation, 2 are at the top seam, (approximately 10" down from top of dome), 180 degrees from each other, I will use 1 for boiler loop and the other to feed the house. The one thats about 10 inches up from the bottom dome I plan to use for return from the house, and the 1 on the bottom dome for boiler loop return. Have been told that I can use 1 1/4" black pipe for the boiler loop and just neck it down at the tank, and would be just fine for flow and autosiphon. My question is, will this work properly, or should I grind the bungs off and install 1 1/4"s. Hate to monkey with the integrity of the tank if I don't have to! For comparison 1" black pipe is 1.049" ID, and 1 1/4" is 1.380" ID. Also have to make sure that necking the lines down won't hinder moving all the heat from my EKO 40. What do ya think?

Reducing to 1" right at that point will have little effect on flow. Of far more importance is the sizing/length of the lines going into both sides of the tank. Nail that and you will be fine.

1" may cause a little more mixing in the tank, but you should have no trouble putting the output of th the 40 threw 1".

I'm with HM. Reducing tight at the tank fitting with a reducing coupling is not a flow concern. I'l use the known good fittings in the tank get it all piped up and air pressure test it and leave it for at least a week to see if there is any pressure drop. If all is good foam it up.

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.