Go-time on the woodshed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stegman

Feeling the Heat
Jan 4, 2011
Sterling, MA
Hey folks.

Getting ready to start working on my woodshed this weekend. It'll probably be built in fits and spurts throughout the month and sandwiched around a vacation. And chances are I won't throw the roof on until September or so.

I've been doing a lot of homework on here and have a good sense of what I'm going to be building [a 10x12 lean-to off my barn]. But I have a couple of minor questions for you woodshed owners.

1. I'll be using 1x6s as my siding and was wondering how big of a gap to leave between boards. I thought that 2" would look the best, but wanted to get some feedback on that.

2. The pros and cons of partitioning the inside. I was planning on building a divider inside and making two storage areas, as I've read on here that it makes things a bit more convenient [and, most likely, stable]. I was thinking of using a sheet of plywood for that rather than 1x6s just to save some money. Good plan, or a waste of money on a shed so small?

I personally like the look of walls where the inside and outside are sided on an offset...here's my best ASCII art:

|x
x|
|x
x|
|x
x|
|x

| is the siding, x is the wall stud.

Let's you leave no gap, and a big gap, all at the same time.

I personally would not bother with a divider. Since it is a lean to it will offer little in structural support and has a good chance of just being in the way. You can always go back and add that in later if you decide you need one.

Looking forward to seeing the build.
Good plan! IMO
Your shed, your way, ;)
12' isn't that big of a span, but the partition will be useful, never a waste of money.
Can drill several 2" holes in the plywood if you go that way if needed/wanted.
If you will just be putting in seasoned wood, allot of air circulation isn't needed.

Thanks for the quick replies. More feedback is welcome if anyone else feels like chiming in.

Yes, the shed is for seasoned wood only. I've got two years worth sitting around the house - about 9-10 cords. I'm hoping the woodshed will hold about 4+. We burn 4-5 each year.

Have no fear: I'll be taking photos along the way to chronicle my mistakes progress.

I think 2-4" gap should work really nice.

I put a divider in mine, just some 2x4's with old used plywood. It is the best idea if you ask me, I only made the divider about 5 ft high. It allows you to remove wood from one side only but the big advantage is stability. Watch the structure of the sides, the wood can push them out easily if it's not real strong. I used steel siding up 5 ft and plywood on the inside. I'm not worried about circulation, my shed is only for dry seasoned wood and is open front and back (that way you can take wood from either side).
I have had a woodshed for over 25 years and just rebuilt mine last year. One thing I have found is that you don't always get to the wood in the back of the shed. The dividers and open front and back help with that

I went with a half inch gap between my boards -- kind of a board and batten look minus the batten. Opted to keep the gaps relatively narrow since the wood is pretty much seasoned already (just figured leaving some gaps open would just allow the wood to keep seasoning albeit at a more slower rate) . . . and I didn't want too big a gap to allow a lot of snow to come through during the winter. So far this has worked well . . . although in retrospect I suspect the gaps really don't make much of a difference in the continued seasoning of the wood (although they don't hurt things either.)

Attachments

• House4.JPG
    House4.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 190
  • smallershed.JPG
    smallershed.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 208
I went with a half inch gap between my boards -- kind of a board and batten look minus the batten. Opted to keep the gaps relatively narrow since the wood is pretty much seasoned already (just figured leaving some gaps open would just allow the wood to keep seasoning albeit at a more slower rate) . . . and I didn't want too big a gap to allow a lot of snow to come through during the winter. So far this has worked well . . . although in retrospect I suspect the gaps really don't make much of a difference in the continued seasoning of the wood (although they don't hurt things either.)

really nice shed jake.

I like small gaps in the siding, I dry my wood outdoors and put it in the shed after 2 years. I want to keep the rain out.

Mine is similar to Jake's. Approx. 1/2" gaps all around for a bit of airflow, although the wood has been drying for over 2 years.
I can feel a slight breeze coming through at any gap.
I was going to do the divider this year, but never got to it and just filled it up as usual. Maybe next year.:cool:
Do NOT forget the pics........we'll be waiting.

I have my shed "partitioned" with metal fence posts. I have 4 that line up with the middle 4x4's, and the 4 more down each far side of the shed. I use them to help stabilize the stacks. I also leave about 4 to 6" between rows for air flow.

Side view:
oak_spacing.jpg

Front view:
pine_mix_1.jpg

If you're putting seasoned wood there, I would go with no gaps or very small gaps. You can leave the area between the rafters open on the low wall (with just a trim board across the face) which will allow moist air to escape. I personally don't like rain and snow on my already dry wood.

I have a lean-to style off my garage and it has both ends open. I like having the access from both sides and I leave them open in nice weather. Heavy-duty tarps drop down to close the ends in the winter or heavy rains.

Status
Not open for further replies.