God Bless this Day our Daily Scrounge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ArsenalDon

Minister of Fire
Dec 16, 2012
Meadow Valley, CA
Went hunting yesterday up in the back woods figuring the snow had finally melted...almost right, only got stuck once and had a blast flying through a few deep patches too in my 4X4.

The reward was a tree downed across the road and a snag just about 15 feet away. Not huge trees, but wood is wood....I do not hear much about these species on here, so can you guess the 2 trees?

Attachments

• Wood in truck.jpg
    Wood in truck.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 167
  • Wood in Woods.jpg
    Wood in Woods.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 151
I pass, picture is too far away for me and my tired eyes. But my inquiring mind wants to know.

I pass, picture is too far away for me and my tired eyes. But my inquiring mind wants to know.
When in doubt, go with 'some kind of Maple.' ==c

Reactions: Ralphie Boy
I could have done better on the pics. The red fuzzy bark is red cedar and the white bark is White pine.

Well, I wouldn't have guessed. If I don't know, I simply would not post rather than guess as a normal thing.

The Red Cedar is the real find. It burns so hot so fast that it makes the best kindling. Guess that is why they named the fire starter after cedar?

Well, I wouldn't have guessed. If I don't know, I simply would not post rather than guess as a normal thing.
Yeah but if we had looked closer at the second pic, we would have seen all the branches, and could have made an educated guess at Pine, not just a WAG. ==c

How high on the mountain are you? I was just doing some work in Colfax. Grabbed a few madrone branches off the side of the road.

Nice load
Woods look dry. How's the wild fire conditions?

How high on the mountain are you? I was just doing some work in Colfax. Grabbed a few madrone branches off the side of the road.
Quincy, CA is 3500 feet, Meadow Valley is about 3,800 and I drove up to about 4,000. Madone burns real well, as good as any hard wood I have burnt.....just a bit smaller than one would like

Nice load
Woods look dry. How's the wild fire conditions?
Would be hard to get a wild fire to take off now. Very wet still with regular little storms coming in periodically and humidity sitting around 40%

Woods look dry.
Actually very green on the Cedar, a storm took it down. The white pine is dry, it was a snag, that is the only way we can take a standing tree in this county

Status
Not open for further replies.