God I'm going to miss that saw!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Couderay80

Jan 14, 2008
South of the windy city
My old trusty 041AV stihl died. God I'm going to miss that saw!! Just bought a 280 last year for a smaller clean up saw but need to replace that 041. It has to be a stihl, want at least as much power, a little more is always nice, but now, a lot more wood cutting will be in the picture. This saw is going to be used for cutting 8 foot poles in my yard for fire wood. So if your at the dealer with a fist full of dead presidents and, there they sit, which one is it going to be??

P.S. going to use a 20" bar

For a replacement to the 041AV, assuming price is not a driving factor, I'd be looking at the MS362. Cheers!

MS 441 or 461 will run a 20" & more. 362 is a very nice saw too. A C

The 361/2 would be nice for sure, but I would go with the 441 route myself.

Whatcha gonna do with the old one's carcass?

Reactions: MasterMech
Hi
Some Helicoll thread repair inserts should cure that problem.A kit shouldn't cost more than 20 bucks.
Keep it running and buy a new saw,best of both worlds.
Thomas

Or sell it to some dude on hearth.com and let him have that hassle. Hint.hint.hint.

If your carb and head came loose, though, I'm guessing you toasted the piston and cylinder, too, right?

New or used saws?

If it was a plain 041, then the 038, 036, MS360, MS361, or MS362 will fit the bill nicely. 041 Super then a 70cc+ saw would be a better match. 038 Magnum, 044, 046, MS440, MS441, and MS460/461.

New saws only? Then the MS362, MS441, and MS461 are the only saws on my above list that are in production right now.

If your carb and head came loose, though, I'm guessing you toasted the piston and cylinder, too, right?

Well Danno77 it still ran when I put it up the last time. Yes I'm sure it runs rich, as stripping it down to tighten the hardware to use again was becoming A PITA. If you are interested in the saw let me know. Willing to get rid of the power head for a chain or two. Of course no warranaty or guarantee would be offered ;) P.S. two different stihl dealers would not touch it.

New or used saws?

If it was a plain 041, then the 038, 036, MS360, MS361, or MS362 will fit the bill nicely. 041 Super then a 70cc+ saw would be a better match. 038 Magnum, 044, 046, MS440, MS441, and MS460/461.

New saws only? Then the MS362, MS441, and MS461 are the only saws on my above list that are in production right now.

I'm thinking the MS441 or MS461 since I always believed bigger is better and yes it was a super!

I'm thinking the MS441 or MS461 since I always believed bigger is better and yes it was a super!
Well then you only need to decide what you want:

A technological leap forward - MS441C-M (Mtronic fuel delivery, spring mounted AV system, stratocharged two-stroke engine.)

OR

Evolution of a legend - The MS461, which to me anyways, is just a MS460 with a new stratocharged engine and some spiffier lookin' plastics.

I bought a 041AV ($300, two years ago) and ran it for two weeks. It ran AWESOME for 5-10 minutes everytime, then would bog-out and barely hold idle once warmed up. Took it back to the shop, and the mech said scored cyclinder wall. The gave me full price return in shop credit and I rolled it into a MS361 Pro. The 361 saw is a gas powered light-saber. I am running a 20in bar, and it flys through all the wood I've cut out here, even the old, black dead standing hedge.
I highly recommend the MS 361 Pro.

041's are gorgeous saws, sorry for your loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.