Going all out today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedogz

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2011
NE Maryland
Testing these wood blocks as a sole fuel: http://www.usrecycledwoodproducts.com

(I'd like to run proper tests for the wiki, but doubt I have the correct tools.)

Right now 18 bricks out of the 20-pack, stacked against 2 walls of the 30 (stacked against rear and left walls), are holding 600 stovetop. And they basically lit with a match.

I just searched youtube and found this guy doing a review on them. I want to try these for next season, so the wife doesn't have to worry about loading the stove during the day. What about overfiring though?

I found that they swell significantly when fully engaged, and your neat stacks will tend to fall over. That seems to be the time for overfire risk. Right now my 18 bricks are still holding 550 stovetop and seem completely under control.

Good video- would be nice if the guy would edit out the 5:30 of nonsense before he starts taking about the bricks.

Also, he mentioned that the instructions say NOT to load the stove the way he did but he did anyway, and that he likes his house at 80. Perhaps that's why he 's going through 4 packs a day... I will report back on the duration and quality of the burn.

Last edited:
2 hours in... Still at 450, still visible flame, and two of the three rows of bricks have mostly burned away.

They look just like bio bricks. They are even packed 20 Ina pack. How much are they per pack?

They look just like bio bricks. They are even packed 20 Ina pack. How much are they per pack?

Local guy asks $6/pck, $325 for a 1-ton pallet delivered. I ate the price differential because he is the ONLY stocker around.

5 hours in now.... stovetop has dropped to 300, not much left by way of 'coals,' house still at 68 on tstat.

Just restacked with 18 more bricks.

That is a bit pricey ton of bio or Eco bricks are $265 plus $20 for delivery a cord of wood $200. They are nice i will get a ton of bio for next year, but just to mix with a cord wood

I would try a load setup the way BioBricks recommends. That is, create a teepee fire for starters ,then once that is going well, build a tight surrounding pack, layer by layer around the teepee, trying for no air gaps. That should provide the longest burn.

PS: Are you burning the oven bricks or the campfire bricks?

That is a bit pricey ton of bio or Eco bricks are $265 plus $20 for delivery a cord of wood $200. They are nice i will get a ton of bio for next year, but just to mix with a cord wood

You're correct... however, a ton of bio or Eco are not available here. That's the whole point of my test.

I would try a load setup the way BioBricks recommends. That is, create a teepee fire for starters ,then once that is going well, build a tight surrounding pack, layer by layer around the teepee, trying for no air gaps. That should provide the longest burn.

PS: Are you burning the oven bricks or the campfire bricks?

They SEEM to indicate on their website that there are separate fuel bricks, campfire bricks, and wood oven bricks. AFAIK these are the fuel bricks.

The way these started, the teepee fire would almost be a waste. I just stacked the 18 bricks with no gaps at all, put about a tablespoon of leftover pixie dust next to their edge, and boom.

EDIT: Just confirmed- I'm burning Wood Brick Fuel, not Brick Oven Fuel nor Campfire Fuel.

Last edited:
Stovetop 350, still a row of "coals" left, no visible flame, but if I stir the bricks, they flame on the newly-exposed surface.Added 3 big splits of BL.

Status
Not open for further replies.