Going camping in New York need campground suggestions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mhrischuk

We like to hike. Got a 26 foot travel trailer and would like hookups but we can go without.
Suggestions?

Thanks all.

NY is a big place. Lake George is a fun spot. The NYS campgrounds along the Seaway trail are beautiful this time of year. No flooding yet in either regions. Catskills and Mohawk Valley are beautiful but iffy regarding flooding this week. Many of the Adirondack areas are in tough shape. Local paper today said that SOME hiking trails in the ADKs are opening. Call ahead.

I love Cranberry Lake. It may be a bit of a haul but it is worth it. Hiking right out of the campground. Boating and fishing on the lake. Dozens of other hikinh trails in high peaks close by...

Just a beautiful place...

What is your idea of hiking? Loop trail on a boardwalk or up a mountain? 2miles or 14 miles?

These guys have books on all of the trails: http://www.adk.org/home-flash.aspx

Matt

There are a bunch of nice spots in the Finger Lakes that are probably a lot closer/easier. Treman and Buttermilk in Ithaca and Watkins Glen are both nice. Letchworth is a little further west but is stunning especially as the leaves turn. These parks are full of gorges and waterfalls, Letchworth has much more trail than the others. If you want vertical, you need to go north.

If you have the time, nothing beats the Great Range around Lake Placid. Plenty of big bang day hikes in the area.

Peak leaves up there are end of September/early October. Peak down here is middle to end of October.

If you haven't been to the thousand Islands, thats a great place!

Just don't bring your own firewood. Be safe.
Ed

Check out Allegany State Park,

Lots of fun things to do, bring your bikes, canoes, and fish poles.

PM me if you need any more details, i know the park very well

Wellesley Island State Park.

Status
Not open for further replies.