going down to low 40's in Michigan tonight

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanko

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2008
livingstion co, Michigan
Ok all you new guys heres your chance. Supposed to be cold here tonight.

Hanko said:
Ok all you new guys heres your chance. Supposed to be cold here tonight.

Yeah, low 40's I hear. I may shimmey up the ladder and dust out the chimbley and start a small one for the evening.

Where bouts you at in Howell Hanko?

It was 48 this morning not ready to fire it up just yet.
Don

Hey, the Michigan Brigades are here.

Not to put a damper on the fun (pun intended), i think later in the week it's supposed to warm back up.

Well, how about us not so new guys? I fired up the Isle Royal with a small warm up last night. First for the season. Got to 62 in the house, it was time. Woke up to 43 outside this morning. Hmmm...a little too early for my liking.

Jags said:
I fired up the Isle Royal with a small warm up last night. First for the season.

Heh, I have to say that this year...my last fire of last season was mid June.....so the old stove hasn't had much of a summer break.

woodconvert said:
Jags said:
I fired up the Isle Royal with a small warm up last night. First for the season.

Heh, I have to say that this year...my last fire of last season was mid June.....so the old stove hasn't had much of a summer break.

I will call and raise you 5, I still haven't cleaned out the ashes from shutting the stove down at the end of the season. Just got the birds nest out of the cap this weekend, and then wrapped the cap in hardware cloth. That should stop them little evil-do'ers.

Jags said:
woodconvert said:
Jags said:

I will call and raise you 5, I still haven't cleaned out the ashes from shutting the stove down at the end of the season.

There's your five and...I aint raisin'. It's a push. I......still have not cleaned my ashes either :long: . BUT...I plan on it and soon ;-P

woodconvert, lest you forget, we've already had low 40's this year....and we didn't have a fire then. Not sure about tonight or tomorrow morning though. Only in 50's at noon. Just looked. It's now 61. Might be chilly in the house by tonight so we'll see. I'm not too excited yet though. But when we start seeing frost....

I might get some kindling around tonight just in case.

-3C in Southern Alberta already.
50cm of snow above 3000m last week.

40f sounds tropical.

Backwoods Savage said:
woodconvert, lest you forget, we've already had low 40's this year....and we didn't have a fire then.

I don't think us trolls have seen 40's yet...or that I can recall. I remember a week or two hearing about a hard frost in the Western UP though.

fossil said:
I don't even live in Canada, but we seem to be tracking pretty much along our historical averages.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/trav...y/graph/USOR0031?from=36hr_bottomnav_business

Click on the box by "monthly averages" and it'll give you an opportunity to compare locations. Rick

holy crap Rick, I never realized your area has those kind of average lows. Even in July. Doing the comparison, it looks like my area has wilder temp swings. Our average lows for the winter months get colder than you, but our lows during the summer months are warmer than yours. Just the opposite for the highs.

Jags said:
...holy crap Rick, I never realized your area has those kind of average lows...

Yeah, you did, shipmate...you're the one who commented on how cool the "compare" feature is last time I posted this link in a past thread. You just forgot. %-P Rick

fossil said:
Jags said:
...holy crap Rick, I never realized your area has those kind of average lows...

Yeah, you did, shipmate...you're the one who commented on how cool the "compare" feature is last time I posted this link in a past thread. You just forgot. %-P Rick

Must be too much JP5 fumes. Ahh, in the name of our great country. :zip:

I remember the cool feature, just not the results. Hey, that makes it a "new" experience. I think I gotts sometimers disease.

I had 33 degrees this morning at 6am in central Wis.

Only 44 for a low where I'm at...not bad. I guess 30 miles north they had frost.

Well, had a tiny fire...more like a kindling fire. Just enough to warm the house 4 or 5 degrees and take the humidity out. I have to clean the chimney before I have much more of a fire.

got 2try out kaowool insulation that I draped over top and sides of insert. 5 2" pieces of cherry cruises along at 425 last night for 4 hours b4 bed. Still at 125 at 6 am this am. Should b a good improvement for the winter.

woodconvert said:
Backwoods Savage said:
woodconvert, lest you forget, we've already had low 40's this year....and we didn't have a fire then.

I don't think us trolls have seen 40's yet...or that I can recall. I remember a week or two hearing about a hard frost in the Western UP though.

Officially, 4 times in August, with the first time (49) being on August 6. So far, three times in September with the coldest being last night in the 30's. No frost yet though but I wouldn't doubt we'll get a good one in September.

d.n.f. said:
-3C in Southern Alberta already.
50cm of snow above 3000m last week.

40f sounds tropical.

We understand those Alberta temperatures! But we also still have garden produce and still lots of farming to do. Meanwhile, enjoy your cold temperatures and realize with the snow down to that elevation already, it won't be long before it finds you. lol

Backwoods Savage said:
woodconvert said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Officially, 4 times in August, with the first time (49) being on August 6. So far, three times in September with the coldest being last night in the 30's. No frost yet though but I wouldn't doubt we'll get a good one in September.

Dang, I don't doubt ya I just don't remember it. That's in south eastern Mi???. Maybe I don't remember it because it went up to 92 during the day.....

That's per Saginaw, according to Accuweather, which gives the same as NOAA on records.

Now for Flint.

Flint hit 43 yesterday.

August 10: 49 Degrees
August 15: 48
August 20: 43
August 26: 44
August 27: 49

Hope this helps jog the memory! lol

we are calling for a freeze warning tonight. mid-upper 30's and will have frost on the windshield in the am!

OK wood burners, be careful what you wish for. Yeah, I too cannot wait for all that hard work!

I don't want any of this cold weather to come my way.
I'm trying some extra late sqaush this year in the garden. I'm hoping to harvest during October. One freeze will end it.
One 40 degree night might be ok, but anyy extended cold weather will end it. No snow until after Halloween, please.

(plus I haven't replaced my chimney yet) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.