Going on third winter with my Mansfield and just want to give thanks to a few that helped me on my w

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flame

Jan 16, 2008
Putnam, CT
A big "Thanks" to Driftwood, Highbeam, Struggle, Rich L, and jpl1nh !! and many others down the road that helped me get going. This is my third winter with this baby now. A couple of days ago I was at the house with temperature coasting at 74*. Outside it was 9* and the windchill was about -12*. My wife and I were just as cozy as can be :- ) I am still a 24/7 burner and am still in love with my Mansfield. I had one issue at the end of last winter when a crack in one of the stones showed it's ugly face. I got with the dealer and in the summer they picked it up and sent it off to Hearthstone. The stone was replaced and it's back up and running like a champ. Honestly I could have left it alone because the weight of the stone just seem to keep it air tight. By the time it was being picked up it seemed like it healed itself (?). The crack looked closed up again (?) Anyway it has been an amazing stove. I love being able to sit as close as I like watching the fire show and never get cooked out of the room (unlike my past Cast Iron stove). I owe a lot to this forum and the highly knowledgeable people on it for helping me chose the stove that's suits me and helping me on the way. Salute!

Attachments

• Stove and Cat.jpg
    Stove and Cat.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 316
Just curious, how warm are the bedrooms? when I ran my Heritage I had a hard time getting heat back to the rooms. 10 ceilings & the 24' cathederal in the great room where the stove was didn't help at all. I am going for the basement placement in the new house.

House layouts, stove placements and home insulation seem to make a lot of difference from what I have read here. I have 8' ceilings and my bedrooms run around 5-8 degrees below my downstairs. That's fine with me because I enjoy a slightly cooler bedroom for sleeping. Unless your basement is fully insulated and that is where you spend a lot of your time, I would advise against putting your stove there. There is like 25% heat loss or more in un-insulated basements. I don't know the layout etc in your next home but if you want to heat your entire home like me. I would place the stove as center as possible in your house and in line or in route to a hallway that leads to upstairs. Because of the size (BTU output) of my Mansfield and having a halfway open floor plan on the first floor I have no problems with heating the entire house even though the stove is not centered in my home. The big advantage in these soap-stones is being able to sit right in front of it (at full throttle) and enjoy the fire without getting cooked out of your room. Another reason why I like it right where I spend most of my time. There are many things you can do with fans, even small computer fans placed low, blowing cold air out of a room or down a stair way toward your stove helps create air transfer quickly to areas if needed. I have a thermal gun and it is interesting to see how the cool air is racing down the stairs toward the stove and the warm air is rushing up. One last note is that my upstairs bedroom already had a section of drywall removed from the top space between the ceiling and the top of the door frame. I left this alone when I moved in because this helps the warm air flow in to the room up top so cold air can get pushed out at floor level (I guess one of the previous owners was a wood burner too) ;-P

Great to hear. I've been wanting to swap out my heritage for some new newfangled cat stove but then when we use it it is hard to find any fault with it. They are a fine stove and deliver on their promised specs.

Thanks. I am thinking 2 stoves, the H-1 in the basement & a smaller stove in the great room for those really cold times. The wife wants a fireplace, but I just can't do it.

RD

Congratz on having a great experience with a great stove and a great stove company. I have our Mansfield heating our showroom right now. Filled her with wood at 8 this morning and the showroom will still be 70+ when I leave tonight. That stove is a true pleasure to burn.

Flame said:
A big "Thanks" to Driftwood, Highbeam, Struggle, Rich L, and jpl1nh !! and many others down the road that helped me get going. This is my third winter with this baby now. A couple of days ago I was at the house with temperature coasting at 74*. Outside it was 9* and the windchill was about -12*. My wife and I were just as cozy as can be :- ) I am still a 24/7 burner and am still in love with my Mansfield. I had one issue at the end of last winter when a crack in one of the stones showed it's ugly face. I got with the dealer and in the summer they picked it up and sent it off to Hearthstone. The stone was replaced and it's back up and running like a champ. Honestly I could have left it alone because the weight of the stone just seem to keep it air tight. By the time it was being picked up it seemed like it healed itself (?). The crack looked closed up again (?) Anyway it has been an amazing stove. I love being able to sit as close as I like watching the fire show and never get cooked out of the room (unlike my past Cast Iron stove). I owe a lot to this forum and the highly knowledgeable people on it for helping me chose the stove that's suits me and helping me on the way. Salute!
Hey Flame it was refreshing to hear of your Mansfield experience.I 'm glad I could be of assistance.I too am loving my Mansfield and haven't had any problems with it or the stones.Stay warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.