Going rate for a cord?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
boostnut said:
Wait a minute. You guys are cutting, splitting, and putting it in a 100 degree barn for a few days then selling it as "kiln dried"? Sorry dude, thats got to be some kind of joke.
Well, this isn't your normal 100* barn. This one has spray paint on the door, "KILN" it says.

Q: What do you get if you put a bunch of wet wood in a 100* barn?
A: 100* wet wood.

Adios Pantalones said:
Kiln dried is a premium because it's a better bet to be dry than someone's claim of "seasoned", plus a quick heat treat kills bugs and rot lickedy split (there's a pun for ya).

"Kiln Dry" means dried in a kiln, not a barn.

As the old saying goes, if your cat has kittens in the oven, it doesn't make them biscuits.

Paul

There were a lot of ads around here for seasoned certified 128 cubic foot cords in August and September.At $350.00 / cord.
Ads, I can't vouch for sales.

Most of the ads are for $225 250 / cord now.
All hardwood.

I have a (6 feet off the ground 68 inches around, so about 2 feet + diameter) half blown down largish red oak I'm working on. Last two weekends ( 4 hours Sat, 4 hrs Sun ) was spent untangling the mess of oak pine and hemlock getting the oak on the ground to work on and all the widow makers down out of the surrounding trees. (this thing looks like it exploded).
I've got a almost half a cord of just branch cuts stacked up and the small branches with leaves hauled and tossed. Close to another cord, but the bottom ten feet is full of oak borer and carpenter ant tunnels and nest. I'll be saving the trunk to cut when it's cold enough that any carpenter ants can't move so I can get 'em slathered well with Sevin.

Danno77 said:
Q: What do you get if you put a bunch of wet wood in a 100* barn?
A: 100* wet wood.
hahah too funny :lol:
if you put firewood in a 100* barn for 3 days you wont even have dry wood, let alone anything that would resemble kiln dried wood.

to answer your question Yamaha_gurl.
i assume when you say cut and spit "by hand" you have a chainsaw. if you're actually "cutting" it by hand... good luck ;-) but to cut and split a cord by hand could take you anywhere from 4 to 12 hours. depends on how good you are with an ax, what type of wood you're splitting, how much you have to move it around, etc. to give you a point of reference it has taken me as much as 1 hour 45 mins to split a gnarly 3 foot diameter round and as little as 20 mins if its nice and clean. but it certainly isnt always easy processing your own wood. put it this way do you typically have more money or more time on your hands. if you have more time, it'll do you some good to get out there. take it slow it can even be fun sometimes..... sometimes :-/

ManiacPD said:
Adios Pantalones said:
Kiln dried is a premium because it's a better bet to be dry than someone's claim of "seasoned", plus a quick heat treat kills bugs and rot lickedy split (there's a pun for ya).

As the old saying goes, if your cat has kittens in the oven, it doesn't make them biscuits.

Paul

This barn is quite well insulated, but has enough controlled ventilation to keep the humidity very low. I'm not sure just what peak temperature he runs it at, but I know that it is seriously hot in there, and even doing work in the floor above is quite warm, despite the only heat coming up from the kiln, and having several windows that don't seal well. The wood going in is mostly stuff that was not terribly wet to begin with, or at least didn't look that way when I split it, and while I haven't hit it with a moisture meter, seems quite well seasoned when it comes out (sounds dry, relatively light, etc.) He also has a couple large fans blowing the hot air through the load.

All I can say is that his customers seem very happy with the wood and the service... I wouldn't buy from him, but it's because what I want is different from what he sells.

Gooserider

ManiacPD said:
Adios Pantalones said:

Paul

Right- kiln dried is dried in a kiln (often a conex container converted into a kiln). Frozen food goes in the freezer. Pork chops come from pigs.

I'm not sure what your point is.

edit- sorry, I now look up and see what some were saying is "kiln dried", however there are many passive solar kilns and odd buildings converted into drying aparati, so I suppose that a barn could be converted into a kiln. Why not. It doesn't have to reach flash point or anything.

thebeatlesrgood said:
i assume when you say cut and spit "by hand" you have a chainsaw.
I remember growing up on the farm, using a swede saw. We would sit around sharpening them with a file and setting the teeth. You need to be consitent or the damn thing won't cut straight.

An old logger goes to the saw shop to by one of those new fangled chainsaws. The salesman tells him he will cut five times as much as with the swede saw.

A week later the logger returned the saw demanding his money back. "you told me I would cut five times as much but it was harder work just to cut the same as the swede saw" he complained. The salesman appeared bewildered and thinking there might be something wrong with the saw, took the logger to the back where he had some logs stacked.

One pull on the cord and the saw roared to life. The startled logger jumped back, yelling over top of the engine "what dat noise?".

For the benefit of my fellow young people. A swede saw is a bow saw.

Yamaha Girl - I clicked on the Kijiji link - it does say they are selling face cords for between $65-$75 and it's U=pickup!! So, times that by three for a full cord, and factor in your truck / gas /labour for picking it up, and you are in the same range as others - like nearby Midland!!

Here in Nova Scotia, cut and slpit cords are going for $225 - 275 (depending on quality of wood). Right now none of it is well seasoned as they can't keep up with demand, and are splitting / delivering as needed.

Northeaster1 said:
Yamaha Girl - I clicked on the Kijiji link - it does say they are selling face cords for between $65-$75 and it's U=pickup!! So, times that by three for a full cord, and factor in your truck / gas /labour for picking it up, and you are in the same range as others - like nearby Midland!!

Incorrect! You read the first ad, and possibly only that ad...read the 6 or 7 below that, they are for FULL cords.

on average in SE Mass between $225 -$275 just dumped not stacked they typically want $50-$80/cord to stack it.

Yamaha_gurl said:
Those are crazy prices! So can anyone tell me how long it takes on average to cut down and split a cord of wood? By hand?

You're asking the wrong question the wrong way.
No firewood producer cuts or splits by hand...is not done. "Crazy prices" for bottled Pepto Bismol @ $45. /gallon ? Milk ? Bottled water ? Equivalent BTU to BTU cost = CSD wood @ $600/ cord is ~~the same as oil, propane, electricity.

Here's the answer: ask those who do it professionally or for themselves. Better, go out in a woodlot and do it. ?

Stump to stove process:
1. Get to tree-with all the gear to properly work: saw, wedges, vehicle, PPE, extra saw, training, insurance,.......
2. Plan and fell tree
3. Limb and brush
4. Skid said log to yard for splitting, or buck felled tree into firewood lengths and hump bucks/butts to splitting area.
5 Split
6. Load or stack splits.

Want more ?

Here in south Pennsylvania, near Gettysburg, you can buy a cord delivered for $130 to $160 bucks. Some guys/gals charge up to $200, but that's for peeps that don't know no better.

I bought log length, cut and split myself, it came out to 4.7 cords, the load of logs, all oak, cost me $320 bucks.

here in upper michigan, $90 per cord,{4x4x8} if you buy it. if you get it yourself, than whatever the gas costs for your saw and vehicle, plus a little extra work!!!

Northeaster1 - 14 November 2008 06:35 PM
Yamaha Girl - I clicked on the Kijiji link - it does say they are selling face cords for between $65-$75 and it’s U=pickup!! So, times that by three for a full cord, and factor in your truck / gas /labour for picking it up, and you are in the same range as others - like nearby Midland!!

Incorrect! You read the first ad, and possibly only that ad...read the 6 or 7 below that, they are for FULL cords.

Yamaha gurl - Actually I did read them!!!! You can check below if you like. About 7 out of 8 of them say FACECORD!!! And I would bet that the one that doesn't, is not selling a full cord (ie 3 times as much) for the same price. I ignored the ones that just said scraps, etc.

FIREWOOD FOR SALE $65 A FACE CORD MIXED HARD AND SOFT SPLIT AND SEASONED DELIVERY AVALIABLE FOR A COST LARGE QUANTITY AVALIABLE CALL 905 941 4397 OR 905 980 4110 $65.00 < 3 hours ago
FIREWOOD

STAIRS AND RAILING AND 2 x 4 's TO BURN IN YOUR STOVE COME AND GET IT--BRING TRUCK AND HELP TO LOAD. PINE AND FIR STAIRS AND PINE RAILING ALL CAN BE CUT AND BURNED FOR FIREWOOD. FREE TO THE ... free < 23 hours ago
FIREWOOD

FIREWOOD FOR SALE $65 A FACE CORD MIXED HARD AND SOFT WOODS DRIED ONE TO TWO YEARS READY TO BURN! U PICK UP CALL 905 941 4397 or 905 980 4110 $65.00 15-Nov-08
FIREWOOD FOR SALE

FIREWOOD FOR SALE $65 FACECORD MIXED HARD AND SOFT WOODS U PICK UP CALL 905 941 4397 OR 905 980 4110 $65.00 15-Nov-08
FIREWOOD 50$ PER TRUCKLOAD!!!!!

HARDWOOD FOR SALE. ALL SHAPES AND SIZES, PERFECT FOR FIREPLACE. THE WOOD IS HARDWOOD OFF CUTS. I PRODUCE A LARGE SUPPLY OF HARDWOOD OFFCUTS & IT BURNS WELL, WE USE IT TO HEAT ... $50.00 15-Nov-08
FIREWOOD FOR SALE

FIREWOOD FOR SALE $65 A FACE CORD MIXED HARD AND SOFT WOODS U PICK UP 905 941 4397 or 905 980 4110 $65.00 13-Nov-08
FIREWOOD fire wood all ash

all pristene ash wood cut two years ago , dryed inside , full face cord , yours for 90 delivered, 80 pick up $90.00 12-Nov-08
Walnut Firewood for sale

Walnut firewood. Tree cut down into small pieces. Great for fireplaces. $150.00 12-Nov-08
FIREWOOD FOR SALE

FIREWOOD FOR SALE DRIED MIXED $65 A FACECORD U PICK UP LARGE QUANTITIES AVALIABLE CALL 905 941 4397 OR 905 980 4110 $65.00 12-Nov-08
FIREWOOD MIXED

Mixed Firewood $75.00 a Cord extra with delivery. 905-935-1864 cell 905-650-3360

Hahah, you took the most current ones. I posted this on November 12, if you look at the ones PREVIOUS to that you will see. %-P

FIREWOOD MIXED

Mixed Firewood $75.00 a Cord extra with delivery. 905-935-1864 cell 905-650-3360 $75.00 12-Nov-08
firewood

100 % hardwood....$85 delivered in St. Catharines area...2 cord minimum $85.00 11-Nov-08

Firewood. $70.00/cord. Or better deal if left in 4foot logs. $70.00 10-Nov-08

Date Listed: 04-Nov-08
GET READY FOR A COLD WINTER....
EXCELLENT QUALITY WELL-DRIED HARDWOOD FIRE WOOD for sale. Dried approx. one year and split. A great assortment of various hardwoods.
$80.00 a cord for pick up or we will deliver to your door at a very reasonable rate. We live in Welland.

HARDWOOD FOR SALE. ALL SHAPES AND SIZES, PERFECT FOR FIREPLACE. THE WOOD IS HARDWOOD OFF CUTS. I PRODUCE A LARGE SUPPLY OF HARDWOOD OFFCUTS & IT BURNS WELL, WE USE IT TO HEAT ... $50.00 15-Nov-08
FIREWOOD FOR SALE

Mixed Firewood $75.00 a Cord extra with delivery. 905-935-1864 cell 905-650-3360 $75.00 12-Nov-08
firewood

100 % hardwood....$85 delivered in St. Catharines area...2 cord minimum $85.00 11-Nov-08
Firewood

Firewood. $70.00/cord. Or better deal if left in 4foot logs. $70.00 10-Nov-08
NEED ANY SCRAP WOOD OR FIREWOOD

GET READY FOR A COLD WINTER.... EXCELLENT QUALITY WELL-DRIED HARDWOOD FIRE WOOD for sale. Dried approx. one year and split. A great assortment of various hardwoods. ... $80.00 04-Nov-08
firewood

Firewood - most is hard wood - alot of white ash - all cut, not split, pick up only. We are in Wainfleet. 60$ a cord

Not sure it matters unless you're planning to buy from one of those guys, but it does have one of two possible explanations -

1. A fair number of people don't think about purchasing wood until it gets cold - then the price goes up due to increased demand...

2. The sellers were dealing in face cords all along, and someone called them on it and made them clean up their advertising practices.

Of the two, I'd be surprised by a 3x price increase in a few days, so I'd be more inclined to think the 2nd was the case.

Gooserider

Looked in the Advertiser and in Central Ohio only one advertised by the cord and it was $135. All other adds said truckload, and around 80 to 90 bucks.

Cory92 said:
Looked in the Advertiser and in Central Ohio only one advertised by the cord and it was $135. All other adds said truckload, and around 80 to 90 bucks.

Some times you have to wonder what the Weights and Measures people are doing - selling wood by the "truckload" is like selling soda by the "glass" - without more definition, there is no way to tell how much you are getting - is it a big truck, or a little one? How is it packed, etc... Most states, the ONLY legal unit of measure for selling OR ADVERTISING wood is supposed to be cords, or fractions of them. "Face cords", "Ricks" and other such terms are not supposed to be used as they don't adequately describe what is being sold - remember that the amount of wood in a "Face Cord" is defined by the log length.

Of course just because the seller is advertising a cord, that doesn't mean you'll get one - we have chronic complaints here about people stacking their wood and finding they got far less than the full cord they thought they were getting....

Gooserider

In NH it falls under the Dept. Of Agriculture who in turn run the bureau of weights and measures. They take it seriously. Wood can only be sold in a cord or fraction of one. You do see "truck loads" advertised, but usually its pick it up yourself not delivered.
But one problem is very few people know what a cord works out too. I know I don't cause I never buy wood.

I don't think anyone pays more than $45 for good pickup load around here. Probably $65-85 a cord based on quality and age. Hardwoods pretty easty to get here though. Maybe I should ship a couple rail cars full to the northeast?

The lowest I've seen here is $125 for a green mix of Locust, Oak, Maple that you have to pick up yourself. Not bad considering you wouldn't have to do any work, except loading and stacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.