Going to Be a Busy Fall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lukem

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2010
Indiana
As hot as it's been here this summer, it's hard to get in the mood to cut wood, but I need to get things in order because I have some extra work to do now. I wasn't really planning on cutting a lot this fall because I'm going to be extremely busy with other things and I already have about 18 cord c/s/s...but plans have changed.

A couple years ago I was talking with my (then) new neighbor. During the course of conversation I mentioned cutting wood and how I was driving about 45 minutes round-trip to my parent's property. He graciously offered to let me cut on his 100 acres just 1/4 mile up the road and I took him up on it. I offered to cut him a few loads in return. He declined saying he wanted to keep cutting as long as he was able.

His land is literally the promised land for firewood. Probably 10 years ago he went out and girdled hundreds of black locust and hedge trees...a lot of which are still standing, dry as a bone, and hard as a rock. There's more standing dead back there than 10 men could burn in a lifetime.

Fast forward two years to last week. I'm out working in the yard and he stops by to say hi and tell me a "big" hedge fell and is blocking a trail and asked if I would add it to the top of the list for this fall. A couple days later I went back and looked and this thing is MASSIVE. The tree has 3 main trunks, each are about 20" - 30" diameter and 80' tall...and about as straight and brush-free as can be for hedge. There's got to be 4+ cord in the one tree. I might try to salvage a couple straight sections and mill them into something if they aren't too heavy to move.

He also finally took me up on my offer to cut him a couple loads in return. He's getting on in years and apparently can't get out there and do it any longer. I'd rather spend a couple hours cutting wood than sitting in the truck so its a good deal for both of us.

Before I get out there and start cutting on this thing, I need to figure out where to put it back home. My wood stack locations aren't very well thought out and I need to come up with a better solution. I hate moving wood twice.

18 cords working on 36...........................................yea a plan would be good

Nah, not 36. 24 would be a good number for me.

This sounds like a good problem to have.

Good luck.

KC

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Can you buck it up, split and stack in the woods then just transfer enough out of the woods as needed for the up coming Winter? You could get years and years ahead and just store it out in the woods.

Can you buck it up, split and stack in the woods then just transfer enough out of the woods as needed for the up coming Winter? You could get years and years ahead and just store it out in the woods.
+ 1 on that plan if the property is private & watched. A C

36.24 cords of wood. Wow. You know precisely how much yo need :)
I'd look for a good place to store it, you'd be light years ahead.

Moving wood twice it good exercise. Gives you something to do when not Cutting & splitting :)

36.24 cords of wood. Wow. You know precisely how much yo need :)
I'd look for a good place to store it, you'd be light years ahead.

Moving wood twice it good exercise. Gives you something to do when not Cutting & splitting :)

Not 36, pause, 24 would be better :p

I have plenty of room (3 acres)...just it is all over the place and makes mowing a pain...no need to keep it in the woods. Need to figure out how to get some nice neat rows like some of yall on here.

Luke, take care of that man! You have found a winner.

And cant beat Hedge to boot... Sounds like a heck of deal you've got.

Crap man, I'm chasin' all over for half a cord! Sell a few of cord for a better truck or trailer and have at it. If that gentleman isn't around next year and the property is sold, you'll not get another chance.

How are your rows situated now?

A LOT of wood can be put in a small space. When put properly.

Sounds like a Great place to cut. Both of you make out on the deal :)

There is always plenty of other things to do but once you get the illness you just gotta take time to smell the firewood or was that roses.......na I had it right the first time.

That is great! But, unless we see some pictures...

I'll boogie back there on the quad tonight and take a pic of the tree...

Reactions: milleo
A couple days late with the pic...but here it is.

Attachments

• 2012-08-05_16-07-39_684.jpg
    2012-08-05_16-07-39_684.jpg
    400.6 KB · Views: 113
Reactions: zap
Looks like a jungle.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.