Going To Be Raining Oak In Dixieville ..Pics of 1st 2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dix

Minister of Fire
May 27, 2008
Long Island, NY
Coming down tomorrow or Thursday

Jun21_0006.jpg

If it goes down, it's probably taking out the back corner of the house, not to mention the deck. The part of the house directly behind that tree is part of my hard to heat room, for those in the know :)

front4.jpg

From the front, the leaner is to the right of the interior chimney (where the PE resides). Pic taken 6 years ago.

Jun21_0007.jpg

It's buddy, from the other side. He suffers from carpenter ant damage, as, I suspect, the leaner does. My gamble is for them to have "tunnels", and to season pretty quickly. They're going out together. Chair for size reference.

I've got 3 more, the same size coming down next. 2 stand alones and a split leaner. Whooa, whooa, is poor me :p

Dropped an oak like a railroad track
Poor poor pitiful me
Oak won't threaten my house no more
Poor poor pitiful me.

Poor, poor, poor me
Poor poor pitiful me

BrotherBart said:
Dropped an oak like a railroad track
Poor poor pitiful me
Oak won't threaten my house no more
Poor poor pitiful me.

Poor, poor, poor me
Poor poor pitiful me

Did you know that Warren Zevon wrote that song?

Well, don't keep us in suspense...what kind of Oak might this be?? :)

Eileen does not have to worry about where she is going to get the next wood from!

So, who is taking this tree down?

I believe it is white oak, but I could be mistaken. Will post pics when it's down :)

Our local, family run tree service is taking it down for us, as well as the other 4. Too close to the house &/or wires for our comfort level, so St. Jessie comes to the rescue. He'll climb & rope the 2 in the back, and use the bucket truck for the 3 to the left of the house. And he's giving us time in between to keep ahead of the mess that will follow as they come down.

I'm quite pleased with it so far, especially the thought of all of that lovely oak :)

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
I believe it is white oak
If it is, that would be SWEET! The Whites never die here, so that wood is hard to come by for me. I do have half a trunk from a blow-down next door, but haven't gone after it yet. I just found a 4" limb that got torn off in that last couple of weeks. I felt like I'd hit the jackpot! :lol:

Woody Stover said:
I believe it is white oak
If it is, that would be SWEET! The Whites never die here, so that wood is hard to come by for me. I do have half a trunk from a blow-down next door, but haven't gone after it yet. I just found a 4" limb that got torn off in that last couple of weeks. I felt like I'd hit the jackpot! :lol:

Even if it's red, I'll be happy. Actually some of the trees have differently lobed leaves, so I know that's a clue. One tree even has some lovely poison ivey on it, that'll be fun (will post pics before attempting cutting, etc.... it does have a fuzzy 2" or so line running up one side).

Just a little hint. Around here the poison ivy favors white oak. I'm not sure I've ever saw it growing up a red oak but do not know why. Just remember Eileen that pointed tips are in the red oak family and the rounded ones are whites. Both excellent wood.

Lets see some rain!

I checked the leaves as best as possible before when Murph was making a perimeter watch ;-) , and honestly, I say I can't be sure red or white, if that makes sense. To dark for pics, so maybe I should look in better light :)

My family moved onto this street in 1966, and had the house 2 doors down from here. In 1976, we (my parents) bought this place and moved us here. These trees were here, and were large to me at 8 years old in '66. They are still here and larger 45 years later.

After these 5, we've got 4 more on the list for next year, all just showing signs of carpenter ants. Neighbor across the street is having the same problem. When I told him I'd take anything he cut down, his eyes lit up, and then mine did
smilies-30222.png

Between cutting these trees down, the pines coming down, wood from the farm, that should cover wood for 2 - 3 + years, even if I add a 3rd stove (which, with all this wood, is looking like the most least expensive/more work involved option
action-smiley-073.gif
) 'Tis OK with us.

This wood, plus the extra $$$$'s from the museum tour guide job the Dixette & I share, will get us a splitter this year, plus we can buy a few cords to ensure enough wood for this winter.

But, eggs before the basket
4-thatsbad.gif

I can't be sure red or white, if that makes sense. To dark for pics, so maybe I should look in better light :)
It'll be light soon; Charge up your camera battery! :cheese:

Update.

They are not down yet. We had alot of rain, so I suspect that backed him up. All that rain caused the leaner to continue it's edumacation. Some leaves are grazing the second story extension. I hope to come home 1 day this week, and see alot more light in the back yard :)

Oh, and the leaner has pointy leaves, the others are mixed, pointy & rounded. I can't tell on the one with poison ivy, it almost looks like it's leaves have been eaten by gypsy moths.

Buying a "dualie" wheel barrow this weekend, too %-P

Hope they get them down soon for you. I'm also waiting on a tree service to cut a large oak. They keep putting it off due to storms and an abundance of dead ash to cut. He told me probably this week, but who Knows. I think he might be scared or just not excited to do it.

Up date..they are down. Will post pics from home a bit later :)

Came home to this last night after barn chores

Aug26_0001.jpg

I have more, having a hard time getting them off of my phone.

Eileen, it is a good thing you got them down before the hurricane. Good for you.

This wood, plus the extra $$$$'s from the museum tour guide job the Dixette & I share, will get us a splitter this year,

WHOOO HOOOO! You have reached the next level of your adventure.

Status
Not open for further replies.