Going to buy a new Maul - Recomendations....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

84td

Nov 5, 2010
Norfolk
I think I want the Fiskars but after doing some reading here there are mixed opinions about them and being so sharp.

If Fiskars,
I am only 150# should I go with the 2 1/2 pounder or the 4?

If not the Fiskars, whats a good one under $50, I like the fiberglass handle and it must sledge on the other side BTW

Speaking of that any wedge recommendation?

Thanks!

Well, I weigh just a few pounds more than 150, and I don't have any trouble swinging the 2.5 lb, 4 lb, or even an 8 lb maul. I wouldn't choose between the 4 lb Fiskar's and the 2.5 lb Fiskar's based on your weight or any concern about the difficulty of swinging either one. I would choose based on the use you want to make of the maul. If it will stay out by the splitting pile and only be used for splitting, then the 4 lb is the choice. If you might use if for chopping wood (I use my 2.5 lb Fiskar's splitting ax for chopping wood to length sometimes - I even carry it backpacking and use it to collect firewood) then maybe the lighter one is better. I don't have a 4 lb Fiskar's so I don't know how it would be for chopping. However, the 2.5 lb Fiskar's isn't much of a sledge - it is too light. I wouldn't worry about the sharpness of the Fiskar's. You need to be careful with any maul or ax, and a dull mul can mess up your foot just as well as a sharp one.

If it is only you using it, and if you are careful not to hit the handle to often on the logs you are splitting, and if you get a handle guard, any wood-handled 6 or 8 lb maul will last a long time. if you are going to have a bunch of people using it, a wood handle is likely to get broken so go with fiberglass.

Definitely get the 4lb super splitter. You will have no problem swinging it, it is very well balanced and splits like a champ.

also, there is a discussion right now in "The Gear" forum on this site about a new version of the 4lb Fiskars with a longer handle

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/69325/

you can pound all you want on the back of the super splitter, I have without any problems. Very strong tool especially considering its light weight.

I'm just over 5'7 & 170 lbs,have been using a variety of splitting tools for 30 yrs now.I've had no trouble swinging any of them.Though my endurance has slowed a bit now,I still have the strength that I did when younger.From a 15lb Sotz Monster Maul (original patent holder of the design) to various sledges & wedges 20lb to 8lb.Along with 5lb axes.It all depends what each log needs at the time.Some are obviously tougher than others & I choose my preferred weapon accordingly.

Get the Fiskars 4 lb.

Remember, swinging an axe/maul takes good technique for efficiency, not necessarily a large, strong person. A proper swing produces high momentum and transfers a lot of force from head to round. If you are unfamiliar with how to split, have an experienced person show you, or try some videos on the web (although I've seen some terrible videos on how to swing - so, perhaps you shouldn't!). I have a few buddies that come over and say 'hey, can I try to split a round'. Some of the swings I've seen are simply awkward and dangerous . Some folks have a natural good swing and some need a good amount of practice - be sure you know which one you are. Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
Remember, swinging an axe/maul takes good technique for efficiency, not necessarily a large, strong person. A proper swing produces high momentum and transfers a lot of force from head to round.

You are so right.My youngest nephew is 19,6'2 250 lbs & last summer set a couple State & National records in Strongman weightlifting competition.He literally dwarfs me in size,is a A & B student also.Asked me one day several months back if he could give it a go when I was splitting a few gnarly oak rounds.Grabbed the big maul & after 2 near misses with his foot I said "that's enough for today,you're scaring me." There's no substitute for experience & proper form.

Status
Not open for further replies.