Going to go crazy before I get this new stove done!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb51b

Feeling the Heat
Dec 24, 2007
Birmingham AL
Just bought my first EPA stove, a Buck model 21.. I have been burning a circa 1981 us stove wondercoal stove that was a real smoke dragon.. I have to patch a hole in the concrete wall and bust a new one for the class a to come inside higher before I can burn again.. I actually burned in the old one last night, quick hot fire, and tore the chimney out today.. I can't wait to see this "secondary burn" you guys keep talking about.. The dealer tells me that I am going to be very impressed with such a small stove, boy am I excited. I hope I get it all done soon so I can sleep!

Jason

Take your time and do the infrastructure right. The flue is half the stove system. Get that right and the stove will purr contentedly.

I'm taking the time to do it by the book this time around.. Its going to be spendy and time consuming but theres no way around it.. I hope to get the concrete work done this afternoon..

Jason

I feel your pain. I bought my stove in June. It sat in the garage all summer and fall. Just got it in on Sunday. Came home last night and the warden had the place close to 80. Sucked going out into the garage and seeing it sitting there all summer.

mainemxz said:
I feel your pain. I bought my stove in June. It sat in the garage all summer and fall. Just got it in on Sunday. Came home last night and the warden had the place close to 80. Sucked going out into the garage and seeing it sitting there all summer.

Put that new stove in, keep that warden happy and save on fuel costs!

A win - win solution.

New stove is IN.. Really seems to kick out a lot of heat, might even get the wife out of her sweatsuit soon.. I think it will take a little getting used to before I am ready to call it good but I can already tell a difference in heat output vs. wood usage.. I was a bit worried at first, my class A only cleared the soffit by 1.5" in the back, my local stove shop explained that the metal flashing coupled with the 1" of great stuff filler more than made up for the 1/2" clearance issue.. I may end up having to add another 3ft of pipe later on due to one of the sections being damaged beyond use and lowes being limited on stock but that will be an issue for another day.. Right now its drafting like mad and I don't see much of an issue thusfar.. Kinda nice being able to see the fire glowing from the stairs with all the light off..

Jason

I may not be understanding the soffit situation. But if there is great stuff foam within 2" of the class A pipe, that may be a problem. The pipe requires 2" clearance from all combustibles.

Even with a metal covering and an 1" air gap?

House/foam|1"gap| flashing (metal)| 1.5" AIR GAP| Chimney

Status
Not open for further replies.