Going to have to break down and buy some wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grannyknot

Dec 5, 2011
East Tennessee
Well, I'm going against everything I've ever preached and I'm going to buy some firewood.
Long story short, I had a cord of seasoned wood that I gave away to a less fortunate family just before christmas.
People in my area are charging $50-$60 for a "rick", more accurately a face cord, or 1/3 of a cord.

I've looked at craigslist and several sellers have pictures posted of the wood for sale.
None of it looks to be seasoned, but then again, I don't know when the photos were taken.
I plan on taking a moisture meter and checking a fresh split and will not buy anything that isn't properly seasoned.

Any advice on how to explain what I'm looking for and turn down offers on wood that isn't suitable for burning?
I'm not looking to spend my saturday debating with some redneck about seasoned wood, and don't want to offend anyone who might take things a little too personal.

Tell them you have a stove that is very peticular regarding the fuel you burn. Ask if you can test the wood they will provide you with a moisture meter? First ask how long it has been split and seasoning. Anything under 12 mos will probably be a waste of time to test. Unless its cherry, ash or locust.

Ask them if they have any White Ash that's split. In our part of the world even a few weeks helps with Ash and if it was standing dead it will be even better.

ETA: Since you know you're going to have to buy some, don't delay buying it. This way you still have some of your own seasoned wood to mix in if needed although it won't be if you can find some Ash. Your stove ought to love Ash that's only been cut a few weeks or even fresh cut if need be.

gzecc said:
Anything under 12 mos will probably be a waste of time to test. Unless its cherry, ash or locust.
I might add to that list, Silver Maple or soft maple, or have you had a different expeirence with it?

I'm going to add that if you can't find anything worth while, look into ecobricks/biobricks or something similar if you need it (we heat exclusively with wood, so nothing to burn=pretty darn cold). Most wood sellers here are selling freshly split stuff, except one I see posting on CL pretty regularly that claims 1 year seasoned (but I've never called on it because it's pretty far from us). Even supposedly seasoned stuff isn't-the wood has been down, sure-but not c/s/s, it's either been whole logs or rounds (we've called FOUR people like this).

Grannyknot said:
Well, I'm going against everything I've ever preached and I'm going to buy some firewood.!
Long story short, I had a cord of seasoned wood that I gave away to a less fortunate family just before christmas.

That makes for good karma. Kudos.

Can't add anything else. Ash ought to be ok in your Fisher-like stove. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.