Going to look at a Used Mt Vernon AE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmountvernon

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2011
SE Mass
2 yrs old guy wants 2000 what should i look out for ?

Cracked Baffle plate, upgraded burn pot (it has larger holes cut into the igniter area), Dirtiness of blowers will tell you alot about the care he took. Pull right side (as you are looking at stove) off. That will allow you to see both blowers. You will be able to see if the fan fans are dirty. Also remove the baffle. What lies under it will tell you if he cleaned it. If you let it go it is really hard to get all the dirty off those little prongs.

Good luck. It is a great stove regardless of somethings you read here.

Just remember it's a high tech stove, problems can get expensive.

smoke show said:
I'd def need to see it run before dumping 2k.

I was excited at first finding it, after reading and searching the forum today if i decide to go AE i am going brand new. I'm not buying someones headache. I ordered an exhaust motor for my Non AE also today so i will wait to see if that quiets down my Mt Vernon non AE to reasonable levels

oldmountvernon said:
smoke show said:
I'd def need to see it run before dumping 2k.

I was excited at first finding it, after reading and searching the forum today if i decide to go AE i am going brand new. I'm not buying someones headache. I ordered an exhaust motor forces my Non AE also today so i will wait to see if that quiets down my Mt Vernon non AE to reasonable levels

Good idea. Like member slls said above, expensive problems for an expensive stove. Stick it out a little bit with the unit you have now. Remember the motto KISS Keep It Simple $hit.

High tech=High dollar fix. My opinion.

As it goes with any stove. Most posts here are about the problems people have. That what this site is mainly used for. You have a problem and want it fixed. Many happy AE users here. Just not many threads that express that. Keep that in mind too. But you have a good unit now. Give it a chance before dismissing it.

Have you looked into other brands that have a cleaning function? Like the newer St. Crioxs, or something with an agitator? Like the Enviro M-55 (looks like a Mt. Vernon), Maxx-M, or Englander 10-CPM. They all have an agitator that helps clean the pot without shutting the stove down. And will save you some coin??

DexterDay said:
Many happy AE users here. Just not many threads that express that.

C'mon Dex, am I gonna have to start a happy AE owner thread so ya stop bustin our chops? :eek:hh:

smoke show said:
DexterDay said:

C'mon Dex, am I gonna have to start a happy AE owner thread so ya stop bustin our chops? :eek:hh:

lol smoke might not be a bad idea to be honest :)

Dexter the cleaning cycle isnt a selling point for me, so i havent looked into those models. Heat output is my most concern looks were 2nd and the mt vernon sure dont lack that

smoke show said:
DexterDay said:

No. I was just pointing out that most threads about any stove here, are full of problems. My Classic Bay is a great example. Love the stove. Never had a problem. But there have been almost a dozen threads with problems in the last few weeks.

Buy what you want. Its not my money. I personally think that the Non AE you have now should be given a fair shot. Nothing wrong with the AE.

Not tryin to bust chops. Sorry if anyone took any offense.

all good here Dex i appreciate your input and points made. like im trying to prove to my wife we arent giving this stove a chance lets put in the new blower and take it from there.
I read alot today about ignitor burn pot upgrade and cracking baffles and not sure about warranty coverage on not being the original owner so i decided against the 2 year old used stove if i decide to go with the AE ill pay the extra grand for new and warranty etc

DexterDay said:
smoke show said:
DexterDay said:

No. I was just pointing out that most threads about any stove here, are full of problems. My Classic Bay is a great example. Love the stove. Never had a problem. But there have been almost a dozen threads with problems in the last few weeks.

Buy what you want. Its not my money. I personally think that the Non AE you have now should be given a fair shot. Nothing wrong with the AE.

Not tryin to bust chops. Sorry if anyone took any offense.

I was just bustin yer chops. ;-)

you'd know if I took offense. :lol:

oh boy the guy had extras i dont want or need he will take 1500 for just the stove and 2 thermostats. I think im gonna bite

smoke show said:
2 stats? whats that all about?

dont know, are the original ones programmable? or do you need to add one ?

yes the original one is programmable.

you have to use the quad stat, as all the adjustments are made thru the stat.

there was some provisions made to the earlier stats.

heh so like you said their always only 2 or so seasons old. i will definitely have to find the Mfg sticker to verify date im assuming it is in the hopper ?

Thanks to smoke show i might have got burned if not for him. That 2 year old stove ended up being a 06 model... I walked .. told the guy i bet you had alot of trouble when you bought this , at least he was honest and said yes was a nightmare!

The general consensus is quad rushed the release of this stove, and it took a couple years to iron out the growing pains.

Status
Not open for further replies.