Going to make the jump to a Stove, need some final q's answered

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
well, now that's what i'm worried about - getting a smaller stove and then realizing i should've gotten the bigger stove. anyone with recommendations for a 45k + stove insert? i'm hoping to stay aroudn $4000.

Go with a Harman P35i or a P52i. You will never be sorry. I would decide not by BTU of the 2 units but the fan cfm. The P35i is 160 cfm at 35,000 BTU's and the 52i has dual 136cfm blowers and is 52,000 BTU's. If your floorplan is open enough my opinion is that you are better off with a P35i at a higher output than a 52i throttled down. But if you need the extra CFM's the 52i is the way to go.

Go with a Harman P35i or a P52i. You will never be sorry. I would decide not by BTU of the 2 units but the fan cfm. The P35i is 160 cfm at 35,000 BTU's and the 52i has dual 136cfm blowers and is 52,000 BTU's. If your floorplan is open enough my opinion is that you are better off with a P35i at a higher output than a 52i throttled down. But if you need the extra CFM's the 52i is the way to go.

thanks' you're getting a bit technical for me :) i'm concerned that when i get the 35i, i'll realize that i might indeed be able to get the heat upstairs more than i orginally thought and that perhaps i should've gotten a bigger btu stove so that it might reach more of the upstairs. are you saying that the 35i has a strong enough motor/blower to sufficiently get upstairs as needed?

I had my 52i installed in June completely by the dealer in the ceramic brown for $5,200 I'm sure if you went with the black it would be some what cheaper and not too much more than the 35i for the money and btu's

I had my 52i installed in June completely by the dealer in the ceramic brown for $5,200 I'm sure if you went with the black it would be some what cheaper and not too much more than the 35i for the money and btu's
Hey Mark - oh I didn't know you got the brown! The wife liked it... but when I said it costs more, she agreed the black lol. (she has a cheap side which comes in handy most of the time!!!)

I agree - it's better to run hotter than throttled down, but if you're in MA, I voting that you buy the 52i (I love spending someone else's money). And go with a minimum of 5 tons as well - you'll more than likely have a few left over bags at the end of the season!

Yes looks very nice but time will tell if it was the right choice

I believe the huge fans on the 52i will draw air as much as it's blowing so it will pull air from those other rooms replacing with heat

thanks' you're getting a bit technical for me :) i'm concerned that when i get the 35i, i'll realize that i might indeed be able to get the heat upstairs more than i orginally thought and that perhaps i should've gotten a bigger btu stove so that it might reach more of the upstairs. are you saying that the 35i has a strong enough motor/blower to sufficiently get upstairs as needed?
The heat will find its way up, the real question is do you need the blower capacity to get it to the area where it will rise. I don't think you will find the 52i will be a hotter airstream, there will just be a larger volume of air. My p35i delivers an airstream so hot you can't hold your hand under it (when using the proper pellets) for more than a second or two.

Lots to think about. The price difference $ 1000 the between the 35&52. I just don't want to spend on too big of a machine if I'm just asking them to heat one floor. The 52 I is making me think u could possibly heat both floors.

Even if the 52i doesn't completely heat both floors it's definitely going to heat more than the 35i and reduce the cost of heating those other areas something to think about

Yea you definitely can heat both floors - plus you have the extra BTUs when you need them! I know the initial cost is a lot between stove, delivery, install, liner and pellets, but once it is paid for... it's paid for and it will last you for years to come - then the $1,000 difference won't seem like anything you should have worried about.

What are you guys Harmon sales reps? Just kidding, you make a lot of sense. I'll really have to consider the 52i thanks again

I researched on here for a year the accentra always a better angle than any other stove I compared it to.from ease of cleaning to btu's to bigger hopper etc. got mine in June used it only a few times this year had a smile on my face each time.

Reactions: Boomer Sailor
What are you guys Harmon sales reps? Just kidding, you make a lot of sense. I'll really have to consider the 52i thanks again
I know how you feel! 2 years earlier I had a wonderful Jotul F-3 cast iron wood stove which I loved! I thought the pellet stoves were much too expensive - plus I was burning Envi-8 blocks. BUT my wife hated the stove - basically refused to touch it (she was afraid to burn the house down). She is a teacher and works days... I work evenings... I would load the stove when I left the house at 2:30... she would come home to a warm house... and I would come home at 1:30am to a house that was getting colder and basically no fire or embers left.

We were starting our 3rd season with it and I just threw in the towel - it was November and I was just basically saying that we should go back to simply using our electric baseboard heat for $400/month and stop fighting... !!!

Then I started looking at the pellet stoves again. Long story short, I traded in my Jotul plus 2 tons of blocks for a whopping $1,500 and have what I have now. I leave a topped off stove at 2:30pm - and walk back in at 1:30am to a 70 degree house just as I left it - I top off the hopper and go to bed - repeat lol...

So now the wife is happy - I'm happy - we are not spending $$$$$ for heat and if worse comes to worse... she will pour in a bag of pellets without too much of a fuss if she has to.

You are just picking a heck of a year to start looking for a stove and buying pellets due to last winter! Heck after February was done, the rest of this year has been fine - and now we're finishing the summer that almost felt like it never was summer! Just make yourself happy, don't rush and feel that you made a mistake in whatever you buy - then enjoy the 6 months of coming home to a 70 degree house and 24/7 fire :)

My only firm recommendations are to buy a Harman and buy good pellets - the rest will take care of itself :)

Reactions: Big papa
Oh and one last thing to consider when people on this site are making recommendations - we all have our preferences for certain things! Some what hands-off stoves, some WANT to fiddle with the stove, some don't care what pellets they buy, some only burn the best... for some, everything comes down to money and they won't spend 1 dime if they don't have to (because they simply don't have it) and for others, having a fire is a hobby and money is no object.

So when reading someone's recommendation for anything, try to decipher what their prejudices and motivations are - then once you figure that out and compare them to your own, everything will make perfect sense!

Oh... and good luck with that :) (and if you are not sure why someone is recommending X - just ask!)

Kinda simple really, Harman makes a hell of a pellet stove.

Indeed! I don't mind fiddling with a fire... so the Harman was aimed at making the wife happy! (and me too - I love coming home to a still 70 degree house just as when I left it!)

I have been burning pellets since 1997 and have owned 2 other stoves before my Harmans. For me, I will never own another brand. Quality, bottom feed technology, and ease of maintaining are my motivators.

smileys-cheerleading-755332.gif

Reactions: tjnamtiw and fmsm
Don't overlook St Croix. They make excellent stoves.

ok, the store can sell me an accentra for $3800 or the newer version the 52i for $4200. rep also said that the old accentra is slightly less efficient than a current quadrafire classic bay 1200i,(only $3000!) but the new 52i is better than both.

i personally like the look of the accentra vs. the black steel of the classic bay1200.

so.... is $400 more for the52i over the accentra worth it?

I would be wary of a stove that has been sitting around for over a year.

Even if the accentra is still brand new in the box?
My advice would be always go for the Current model.you never know parts or what ever may be discontinued.i have to say with my p35i.i never put it full blast .only one shy and it gets her done.the 52 looks more modern and that was my reason for me choosing 35i.price was not a huge factor.i like the old fashioned look.i myself before this one bought a used enviro that was a disaster.had a chimney fire after 2 months the damper never wrked and the guy that sold it said it didn't matter.i was getting a deal and did barter for his labor. Point being after the 2nd chimney fire I didresearch.mostly all of it in this site and found the harman to be the best stove for me.i like the fact that I can clean it myself instead of paying somebody $200.also all the safety features is has is extremely fascinating .what ever you choose good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.