Going to order my Kozyheat tonight

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CountryBoy19

Minister of Fire
Jul 29, 2010
Southern IN
Finally got my first time home-buyer credit check in the mail. I'm going to put it to good use and buy something that will get me another credit check in the mail :)

Going to go order the Kozyheat Z42cd tonight. I'll be doing the install myself.

The only thing I'm not 100% confident in is the masonry (hearth and tile around the fireplace). I've laid brick before, but never tile, I'm not sure how different it is. I guess I'll get some tile and cement board and try some tile work for practice before I go to work on the hearth. I still have plenty of time before winter gets here. I don't plan on needing the stove until the coldest of winter because my seasoned wood supply is pretty low (just decided to get the fireplace a month or so ago, up until that point it was just an idea).

I want to get the stove there first and just see how things look and then plan it all out before I start the work so I have plenty of time to read up on all the good articles.

I think if you've laid brick before you'll do fine . . . just follow the directions . . . paying close attention to when you should clean off the grout and cement . . . wait too long and you'll end up with a mess.

Trust me on this . . . I've done no tiling before and it was one of those very easy to do projects that you'll wonder why anyone pays anyone to do this . . . well catching myself here . . . I should add that the tiling I did around the stove was just the hearth (horizontal surface only) and it was with irregular sized slate . . . so it was kind of hard to mess up.

If you do a search here you'll find lots of great hearth designs and at least one step-by-step guide to building and tiling the hearth.

firefighterjake said:
I think if you've laid brick before you'll do fine . . . just follow the directions . . . paying close attention to when you should clean off the grout and cement . . . wait too long and you'll end up with a mess.

Trust me on this . . . I've done no tiling before and it was one of those very easy to do projects that you'll wonder why anyone pays anyone to do this . . . well catching myself here . . . I should add that the tiling I did around the stove was just the hearth (horizontal surface only) and it was with irregular sized slate . . . so it was kind of hard to mess up.

If you do a search here you'll find lots of great hearth designs and at least one step-by-step guide to building and tiling the hearth.

Thanks for the confidence booster!!! That will help a lot....

BeGreen said:
Also visit the tiling forum at www.johnbridge.com. It's like hearth.com for tiling.

Thanks for pointing me to a good resource, I'll do my research.

Status
Not open for further replies.