Going to Pro Chain - Tips??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlankBlankBlank

Minister of Fire
Oct 12, 2011
PA

Attachments

• Pro Chain From Baileys.jpg
    Pro Chain From Baileys.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 266
I have had very good luck with the Woodland Pro chain. You may wish to order some files at the same time for keeping it sharp. Good chain at a fair price, doesn't get much better than that.

stephiedoll said:
I have had very good luck with the Woodland Pro chain. You may wish to order some files at the same time for keeping it sharp. Good chain at a fair price, doesn't get much better than that.

Does it sharpen much different? What about cutting? Easier? Smoother?

Nothing pro about that chain other than the name. I have my FIL's CS400 here at the house. Trust me you want the least aggressive chain on the that saw. Very under powered saw and was expensive IMO for what you get. I bought him a 5100 to replace it couple yrs ago.
Good chain like the Stihl will be tougher to sharpen but for the most part if there is anything pro about a chain its the tooth type ie 3/8 full comp chisel square grind would be a pro style chain. Your saw won't pull that.

wkpoor said:
Nothing pro about that chain other than the name. I have my FIL's CS400 here at the house. Trust me you want the least aggressive chain on the that saw. Very under powered saw and was expensive IMO for what you get. I bought him a 5100 to replace it couple yrs ago.
Good chain like the Stihl will be tougher to sharpen but for the most part if there is anything pro about a chain its the tooth type ie 3/8 full comp chisel square grind would be a pro style chain. Your saw won't pull that.

Wkpoor, thanks for feedback. Looking to maximize what I've got until I can get a 65-70cc saw and keep Echo as my second.

Using the lp on my Makita DCS401 and it pulls it fine. Cuts very well, nice chips and no problem for me to sharpen. In fact, the only chains I am using anymore. You may not be able to lean on the saw as much but my Makita seems to love it. Not that expensive to get a couple loops and give it a try. Just my opinion.
Should add that my Makita is 39cc and 2.3HP 16"

stephiedoll said:
Using the lp on my Makita DCS401 and it pulls it fine. Cuts very well, nice chips and no problem for me to sharpen. In fact, the only chains I am using anymore. You may not be able to lean on the saw as much but my Makita seems to love it. Not that expensive to get a couple loops and give it a try. Just my opinion.
Should add that my Makita is 39cc and 2.3HP 16"

stephiedoll, thanks for sharing your experience with this chain. I'll put in my order and give them a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.