Going To Try Cookies

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kenster said:
I'm surprised no one has challenged the OP's first statement that wood dries more quickly from the ends.
If you look at the end checking on firewood, it becomes apparent that it dries (and subsequently shrinks) faster on the ends. As for how deep, that is debatable.

There is a firewood processor called "Chomper" that shears the rounds rather than cut them. They (Rainier Hydraulics Inc.) posted results of a study that shows that end sheared wood dries faster.

http://www.chomper.net/Seasoning Study.html
The table above shows conventionally sawn and split firewood processed from nine species of wood took an average of 127 plus days to reach the same dryness (moisture content) that Chomper processed wood achieved in 60 days.

Bad link above. You didn't get the whole URL in the link

Kenster said:
Bad link above. You didn't get the whole URL in the link
It's a bug with this board that chokes on spaces in URLs. You need to copy/paste the whole line to your address line.

Here's a tinyurl of it if you're copy/paste challenged.

http://tinyurl.com/6vrs23j

Kenster said:
Seems like a major waste of time and gasoline to me. And I'm surprised no one has challenged the OP's first statement that wood dries more quickly from the ends. Why do we bother to split it, then? My understanding has always been that wood dries much more quickly from a split face than from the ends. Yes, I suppose shaving a cookie off of each end of a ROUND would get you some reasonably dry wood but cutting a log into chunks to speed up drying, rather than bucking and splitting seems counterproductive as you will never get long, hot burns from chunks and cookies like you would get from a big, dry split.

Perhaps as a one time thing to expedite the drying process when you might otherwise be stuck with no dry wood, but I can't see doing this as a general practice.

And if you want to have a wood processing party (GTG?-- we spell "to gether" as one word around here! ;-) ) why not do it right and have a BSS (bucking and splitting and stacking) party.?
I can tell you exactly why. No one would show up to a work party. But people love to run their saws and many like to race. You mentioned cookies burning up faster but I did say that most of the pieces would end up nearly the same size as a split only with end grain mostly exposed instead of side grain.

If your rounds are that big, where a cookie would be as big as a split, then I can see where you're coming from.

Kenster said:
If your rounds are that big, where a cookie would be as big as a split, then I can see where you're coming from.
Yep, I'm cutting cookies from big rounds 20"+. I've got a bunch of Oak rounds over 48" to process right now. However I hate waste alot of it in dust so I might use maple and cherry mostly.

Status
Not open for further replies.