Golden eagle 5520 brand new stove owner questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whosthat

Sep 27, 2011
maine
hey all im new to pellet stoves and recently I bought a summers heat from lowes and after some help from this forum I took it back as it was undersized. (even though the square footage rating said otherwise)

Anyways I have a golden eagle 5520 now and im stylin now this thing really puts out the heat and im not going to have any porblems in that department now, but I do have a few questions though.

#1 paint inside the firebox, is it for protection or looks? the reason I ask is because I think I've overfired it on the first run and caused some of the paint to peel (its still wet, stinks like hell) I'm not very worried about it.

#2 this thing has a damper on it, seems to run great anywhere I put it but I noticed the flame seems to get WAY to busy with it wide open, I've herd if it leave white in the firebox theres too much air as its running lean, is this true? and can it cause any problems?

(#3 and the most important) This thing says in the manual it has 4 heat range settings 1-4. But it has 5, and its not mentioned anywhere in the manual. I tested it on 5, and it feeds MUCH faster then 4, 4 feeds once every 5 seconds, setting 5 feeds every 2. Needless to say I have not run it on 5 very long.

The odd thing about this is theres a red LED under clear plastic for heat ranges 1-4. Heat range 5 is under the case like you not saposed to be able to see it at all, but I can still select it, see it, and use it.

Anyone out there with this stove?

p.s heres a link to it:
http://www.goldeneaglestoves.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=88&Itemid=104

Here is a little history JIC. US Stove bought Breckwell last spring. Breckwell spun off Golden Eagle stoves before the sale to US Stoves. What I see in the Golden Eagle lineup is some Breckwell units and some US Stove units mixed in. Breckwell had units with 4 heat ranges and units with 5 heat ranges.

I am pretty sure what your seeing with the 5520 is a hybred(US Stove model with a Breckwell control added) to standardize the lineup. The stove itself probably will overheat with the heat range 5 selected so they only recommend the 4th heat range for max setting. Why they didn't put a control that only had 4 heat ranges is probably due to economics. More inventory to control. So they might be using the 5 heat range controller and using a label that blacks out the 5th heat range.

I woundn't use the heat range 5 for very long as it will probably overheat the unit and open the high limit temp switch. The temp switch many shutdown everything including blowers. A chance to get smoke in the house. It also is a manual reset switch, So you will need to remove the stoves sheet metal to reset it.

ya Im pretty sure your right there, I won't be using setting 5 at all because I managed to overflow my burn pot on 4, I had the damper closed too far. The damper is a nice feature but I can see some problems with it.

I plan on running this on a thermostat, if my burn pot were to overflow and I wasn't home the stove would shut itself down right?

whosthat said:
ya Im pretty sure your right there, I won't be using setting 5 at all because I managed to overflow my burn pot on 4, I had the damper closed too far. The damper is a nice feature but I can see some problems with it.

I plan on running this on a thermostat, if my burn pot were to overflow and I wasn't home the stove would shut itself down right?

Not guaranteed that an overflow will shut down a stove.

It would have to trip either the thermal disc (high limit) or cause the vacuum switch to open, the high limit situation is the most likely safety to shut the stove down, however it is also likely that the stove will run out of pellets.

This is why the hooper should never be left open and the stove needs to be on a proper hearth pad and that you always check your burn pot for ash buildup.

Frequently the fire dies from lack of air but that can take some time and if you haven't dotted your i(s) and crossed your t(s) you can have other problems.

The situation is slightly different on the various stoves. Talk to the stove manufacturer about how their stove handles such a situation.

Most stoves can contain a fire very well provided you don't make an operational error or installation mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.