Golden Embers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire Bug

Hearth Supporter
Nov 23, 2005
Clarks Summit,Pa.
Hey Everyone,
Can anyone tell me if there is "Golden Embers" for gas fireplaces and inserts?
I have the "Glowing Embers" but I just recently read in the Heat & Glow Owners manual that there are also "Golden Embers. Whats the difference?
John

The golden embers is part GE93 or GE-93 I think. If you have a bag of "Glowing Embers" aka mineral wool (green stuff), take a look at all the little black particles in it. That stuff makes the flame turn a little more orange. The GE93 is basically a bug chunk of that stuff you can sprinkle on the burner. It does not last very long and it is corrosive in large amounts and will rust up burner pans.

jtp10181 said:
The golden embers is part GE93 or GE-93 I think. If you have a bag of "Glowing Embers" aka mineral wool (green stuff), take a look at all the little black particles in it. That stuff makes the flame turn a little more orange. The GE93 is basically a bug chunk of that stuff you can sprinkle on the burner. It does not last very long and it is corrosive in large amounts and will rust up burner pans.

We don't want to rust up the burners anymore than what the "Glowing Embers",(#050-721), and the propane contribute to the rust progression.
I received a bag of "Glow Embers,(mineral wool), and a bag of some other coal like material,(Mystic Embers), that I placed on the firebox floor, even though the instructions said you can spread it on the burner.
When I bought the FB Grand Insert the DealerTechnician said he does not like to use to much glowing ember material because it warps the burner. I not sure if this is true but this material really gives the fire beauty and the natural look.
I have three Installers Guides, Two have the Glowing Embers,(#050-421) and Golden Ember Material,(#DE-93) listed and the third guide has only the Glowing Embers and the Mystice Embers listed. It seems like the Mystic Embers were meant to replace the Golden Embers.
I still am afraid the Mystic Ember Material might block the burner ports if sprinkled onto the burner itself as the installer guide recomends so I put them as a ash bed on the ceramic firebox bottom.
Do you think the Glowing Ember Material, (mineral wool), will rust out the burner and warp it? The burner is suppose to be covered under the lifetime warranty.
Thanks,
John

The glowing embers do not cause any damage if placed correctly. Dime size pieces next to the burner ports, do not block the burner ports. It will warp the burner if you place the entire bag on there in huge chunks blocking all the burner ports (I have seen it done). The mystic embers are not meant to be placed near the burner ports at all and we usually do not place any on the burner pan. They are decoration and should just be placed around the edges of the burner, it looks like ashes or busted up log pieces.

I think on the mystic embers bag it says to place it around the burner ports and it will glow... usually we have found it tends to block the ports and cause sooting over time so we keep it away.

jtp10181 said:
The glowing embers do not cause any damage if placed correctly. Dime size pieces next to the burner ports, do not block the burner ports. It will warp the burner if you place the entire bag on there in huge chunks blocking all the burner ports (I have seen it done). The mystic embers are not meant to be placed near the burner ports at all and we usually do not place any on the burner pan. They are decoration and should just be placed around the edges of the burner, it looks like ashes or busted up log pieces.

I think on the mystic embers bag it says to place it around the burner ports and it will glow... usually we have found it tends to block the ports and cause sooting over time so we keep it away.

Thanks for the helpful feedback, JTP!

Status
Not open for further replies.