GoldenRod 18"... summer protection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
So, I never noticed it looking at them in person, but I noticed a while back in some photos that there's a bit of rust forming on my two stoves. No surprise, they sit in closed-up and somewhat damp old stone fireplaces all summer, doors closed with ground moisture no-doubt eminating from the rubble stone walls.

P4040038.JPG

So, taking note from my gun safes, I decided a heater type dehumidifier was a good way to drive out a little moisture (i.e. lower the RH) from these confined spaces, when the doors are closed. I got two of these:

goldenrod.jpg

Check back in the fall, to see how they worked (or didn't!).

I'm wondering what others have done, for the same purpose.

I like to run a candle in my stove during the summer so there is some kind of fire running. I would assume you get the same effect but a nice nite light out of it.

I wonder, does the combustion of a candle actually add water to the stove? I know the burning of most fuels produces h2o.

For the record, I did not place the heater rod in the stove, but under it on the floor. My enemy is moisture emanating from the stone fireplace, rusting the outside of the stove.

.I guess it depends on how much air will move through there for the heating rods to be effective or not.

Any chance you have a hygrometer or two so that one could be placed in there and the humidity could then be compared to the room?

In combination, I'd also suggest putting a damp rid bucket in there http://www.amazon.com/DampRid-FG50T-Hi-Capacity-Moisture-Absorber/dp/B0029EGUNG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1400939636&sr=8-3&keywords=damp rid

I actually use the closet type damp rid bags for inside a safe.

pen

Last edited:
I usually put a container of damprid inside the stove during non-burning months as a precaution. I don't know if it does anything or not, but we do not have air conditioning and it gets very humid for much of the summer.

Joful, that's a good idea. I would think that dehumidifier in a confined area like that would probably make a huge difference.

These things work by simply heating the confined space (i.e. my fireplace with the doors closed), thus lowering the local RH%. Not truly a dehumidifier, but provides the same end result!

how much power do these rods use? how big of a area can a rod do? and how often are they running 24/7?
and cost? can you put up a link to these units?

thanks
frank

When they rust away, I just buy a new stove.

Reactions: bluedogz and Ashful
how much power do these rods use? how big of a area can a rod do? and how often are they running 24/7?
and cost? can you put up a link to these units?

thanks
frank
There are several different wattage models, made to heat various spaces, but I think it works out to roughly 7 watts for 100 cu.ft. They just run 24/7, like the old lightbulb trick. Google GoldenRod dehumidifier, or DriRod.

Status
Not open for further replies.