Goldline TD-6 Temperature display

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webie

Minister of Fire
Feb 21, 2009
Wisconsin
Hey guys been busy rebuilding my system which after 12 years My epdm liner on my 1205 gallon SSTS tank started seeping and is now replaced with a new liner from Tom @ Solartechnics . And I hope I never have to do that again . In addition to the non pressurized storage I have now added in 370 gallons of pressurized storage with the hamilton tank find off of craigs lists .
Here in lies my problem . Do any of you know how to wire up a Goldline digital display TD-6 I originally wired it for just three sensors but bought 6 and now I wish to place the other three on the new tank but I have lost the wiring instructions for it and have been unable to google it either . Any help would be appreciated .
Thanks

What type of sensor is used, if you know? How is each one connected to the display, separate terminal, share a terminal, how many wires or connections for each sensor? What do the sensors look like? Some pictures might be helpful.

Thanks for th reply Jebatty . I wil try to post a couple of pictures tommorrow but here is some information . the sensors are 2 wire 10K thermistors with a power requirement of 24 vac . There are 9 terminal connections plus the 2 power connections . For the 3 sensors wired now it looks like the first and second sensor tie there leads and share teminal 2 and there seperate leads go to terminal one and three and then the third sensor is connected to terminals four and five . My thinking is that terminal lugs 2 , 5 and 8 are shared for the second leads comeing from 1 and 3 , 4 and 6 and then 7 and 9 . I think if I was to try to wire it like this worse case would be it doesnt work ?

Found the wiring instructions . Thanks guys

Wireing is all done ,But having a further issue . Can anyone explain why I would continually have one of the read outs from the 10k thermistors reading a consistant 8 degrees low no matter what the temperature actually is . Getting ready to close up the rest of the install but dont really want to bury a bad thermistor .

Wireing is all done ,But having a further issue . Can anyone explain why I would continually have one of the read outs from the 10k thermistors reading a consistant 8 degrees low no matter what the temperature actually is . Getting ready to close up the rest of the install but dont really want to bury a bad thermistor .

Any way to install the sensor in a well. For slabs I plug the end of a piece of pex, slide the sensor in with a fish, then bring the other end to an electrical junction box. You may need to replace that sensor some day. Maybe today :)

Check it with an ohm meter. stick it in ice water, read and compare to the chart, then in boiling water and check. That will tell if it is bad or out of tolerance.

Also use shielded wire if possible for additional piece of mind.

Unfortunataly there is really no way to install the sensors in a well . Right now they are attached by Hi temp silicon then cellotex then wrapped with 8 inches of fiberglass insulation . The wierd thing is they all seemed fine when I first put them on and test ran the system for two weeks with just some fiberglass insulation around the tank . I had to remove that insulation and get behind the tank and do some work getting ready for totally inclosing the tank and had to refire the system and now all of a sudden I seem to have a bad sensor . I am running the same wire for all the sensors and for the most part all the wire is running togeather till it gets to the tank . If this sensor did go bad over two weeks it would be the first one for me to go bad ever. I could remove it and test it , but if I am going that far I probably would rather try to source a new one and just replace it ,if I can figure out where to find one and what I am buying ? Just wondering how likely for these thermistor sensors to crap out ? The other problem is , is this is NOS . I am not even sure what to get for a replacement sensor ? ,or where to get one ? , as all the box and paper work says is 10K ohms thermistor at 25C/77F , SW sensor , range -50 to 250 F . I did call goldline for information and help and that proved useless as all I got was its been discontinued with no further help . Are there different 10k thermistors or are they all the same in there function resistance ? I am pretty stupid in this department . I do have a chart with this for temp vs.resistance and two points are as follows -50 f = 491,142 ohms and 250F =378 ohms if that would help anyone point me in a direction .
Any help would be appreciated .
Thanks

First follow up on Hot Rod's advice and check the resistance at known temperatures Sensor should read 10 kohm at 25 degC (77 degF), and it should read according to your table at 0 degC (32 degF) and so forth. If it doesn't read right, measure at various points closer to the sensor itself by piercing the wiring insulation with sharp probes and see if it's the sensor or the wiring.

As for a replacement there's a bajillion 10k thermistors on ebay. "Is 10k thermistor, is generique, all same, free shipping!"

If you want an exact replacement need to figure out what type of 10k it is according to its curve. Could be Fenwall 16, J curve, and so forth. There's tables out there that correspond to the various curves, so if your documentation doesn't tell you what curve your system uses at least you can look at a bunch of tables and find one that more or less matches your table and then you'll know what 10k thermistor curve to look for.

Status
Not open for further replies.