"Gong" sound from my insert--what is it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MetMan

Sep 1, 2010
Western New York
This is new this year. Sometimes after about an hour after starting the first fire of he morning I hear a pretty loud "gong" sound from the insert. I assume it's the liner and the cause is contraction after the initial high temps. Just heard it again today about three hours after starting a warm box.

Any ideas what this might be?

Hi, our Super 27 makes a "gong" sound often. I can tell you the flue temp. (range) when it starts. At 500* to 600* and back down. Our installer told us this is normal, then again, in our case its the wood burner itself. Are you positive that its not burner and is the liner?

The next time the stove is completely cooled down inspect the welds carefully to make sure nothing has broken loose.

I agree, it is being caused by expansion and contraction of the metal. My SS chimney cap does the same when it heats up. You need to try to figure out where it is coming from though.

My fireplace gongs too. I'm used to it. Does it about 10 minutes into morning restarts.

i used to watch the GONG show....does that count? (those are hours of my life i'll never get back). probably do to expansion and contraction.

cass

Status
Not open for further replies.