Gonna break down and buy rods and brush

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skinnykid

May 6, 2008
Next to a lake in NH
Well my chimney is ready for another cleaning. Tomorrow is sposed to be 50 degrees so I hope I can find a shop who has rods and brushes in stock. I am sick of paying to get it done and will start doing it myself. Also, I am gonna build a wood shed in the spring, thats why my chimney keeps getting dirty, wet and under seasoned wood is the culprit due to a wet shady yard. At least a shed will keep it dry!!!!

Yeah, 18 feet of rod at Home Depot for $30 . I think the 6" brush was $18.

Warm in RI said:

I have only seen metal-wire brushes at Lowe's. Supposedly you want "poly" (plastic)
brush to avoid scratching the modern stainless-steel chimneys.

You can do the rods yourself, from PVC or electrical conduit, for less than $10
(search the "Gear" section) if you're so inclined.

Warm in RI said:

I snagged mine on sale at Home Depot. Rods were $20 and the Brush was $9.95.

I have a 6" ( I think) stainless chimney. I was wondering if HD has it but prolly moved out for spring stuff. There are a couple of stove shops near me that might have the stuff.

What size/shape of flue to you have?

I’ve seen sets of rods in Home Depot recently but they’re sort of moving the stove stuff out for the spring products.

I knew I should have bought all that stuff in Dec when I was in Home Depot, Im going this week, hopefully they still have some left, I need the extra rods since I have 26+ feet of liner.

Well I got the rods and brush. Almost $90 for everything, but it has already payed for itself with the cleaning I did today! I am not at the mercy of the chimney sweep and the charges. Lots of black stuff came out of the pipe and the cap was completely plugged! The screen of the cap is starting to break and fall apart so that will prolly get replaced in the spring. Stoves running in tip top shape tonight.

skinnykid said:
Well I got the rods and brush. Almost $90 for everything, but it has already payed for itself with the cleaning I did today! I am not at the mercy of the chimney sweep and the charges. Lots of black stuff came out of the pipe and the cap was completely plugged! The screen of the cap is starting to break and fall apart so that will prolly get replaced in the spring. Stoves running in tip top shape tonight.

You'll never escape!!! Muhahahahhahaha!!

Congrats on the rods. What did you get and where did you pick them up?

Status
Not open for further replies.