gonna need the tractor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

loon

Minister of Fire
Apr 9, 2010
ont canada
just sat down for a late supper last nite and the house shook :bug:

got a chain around the split part and thats pretty much all i could do till daylight..

DSC07670-1.jpg

will post a few pics after i deal with this mess..

Terry

Not the best way to gather wood!! Be safe! Hope you don't have much damage.

Wow good thing everone alright!

Man, that's a scary photo!

Last year I had to call my dad's doctor during the weekend. He was staying with me because the ice storm had knocked out his power. While I was talking to the doc, he asked me to hang on a second. He had to say something to the tree service guy who was removing 10' of tree branch sticking through his kitchen ceiling. Apparently, even doctors have these problems.

We cut down the big box elder that was hanging over the house later that week.

Don't see anything sticking into the house from the window in your photo, so I hope you've been spared that.

That chain doesn't look like it's doing any good where it is. I'd slide that sucker further out away from the trunk and maybe prop that branch up from underneath too.

Hope the house is OK. We like our trees close to the house for the shade and live with the risk.

got it all down and everything went fine, nobody got hurt but the house lost "2" shingles %-P

had a couple feet above the eavetrough so was hoping if it dropped the chain would catch it before hand..

DSC07669.jpg

DSC07671.jpg

tractor was in the shop till 8am. pto problems.
and ya thats me in the bucket, not the safest way to do it but i didnt care :)

DSC07687.jpg

DSC07688.jpg

DSC07708.jpg

not alot of sleep last nite and i hope it never happens to any of you guys/gals on the board....

Terry

Glad that all turned out okay. As for standing in the bucket, I see no problem with that and have done it that way several times with no problem.

That looks like a Silver Maple and they are known for doing that, never camp under a Silver Maple as one person was killed on RAGBRAI about 7 years ago while camping under one.

Backwoods Savage said:
Glad that all turned out okay. As for standing in the bucket, I see no problem with that and have done it that way several times with no problem.

I've also used my bucket and feel it's safer than a ladder...but appears no eye or ear protection...that's a no no for me.

muncybob said:
appears no eye or ear protection...that's a no no for me.

...not the safest way to do it, but he didn't care. :cheese:

Glad things worked out for you, Loon. It could have been a disaster.

been cutting/burning wood for years and never been the brightest bulb with the safety side...

my old buddy driving the tractor just went in for hearing aids as he's been a farmer for the last 1000years and never wore anything :zip:

after checking out this silver maple again today i am gonna have to make a plan with this limb that would crush the house if it drops..

looks fine on the tree but i'm kinda gun-shy right now ;-)

DSC07712.jpg

Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.