Good and short article on our energy saving habits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DougA

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2012
S. ON
Says it all:
http://www.vox.com/2015/6/6/8735793/home-energy-use

For those who do not want to use extra energy clicking the link -
We worry about and try to save energy on the things we interact with most, like light switches. The problem is that we consume far more energy on the things we aren't thinking about, like hot water heaters and driving around town shopping.

I remember being surprised when we got info from our utility with a listing of where the most electricity was used in the home. Top of the list was swimming pool pumps (usually 3/4 hp and on 24/7 all summer season).

I saw the article, and this one is a difficult nut to crack any further for reduced usage for my wife and I. The electric hot water heater is about 100 kwh/mo, very low. What I can do with electric hot water heater and electric dehumidifier is put them on switches so that they only operate during the daytime. There won't be a reduction in usage but the result will be that they will be substantially powered by our PV and not by coal fueled electricity from the utility. Our cooking is all electric, and that likely will remain without change, and with all the efforts my wife has agreed to on reduction of electricity use, I doubt she would be willing at this time to change her clothes washing/drying habits either for reduction or shifted times of use.

The corollary is that if you can FEEL a little cold draft around your door or window THAT must be where all your heat/air is leaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.