1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Good article by Dan Barry ny times

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by jmcp, Feb 16, 2012.

1. jmcp

jmcp New Member

Loc:
    lower bucks

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Uhm... how could this couple not have the capacity to heat via wood? Did I miss something?
  3. fmsm

fmsm Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South of Boston MA
    I just hung up with the folks at Hometown Energy. I felt compelled to donate a few hundred dollars for no other reason than I have been and am fortunate that I can. I was told that many have reacted the same way as I did and that the reporter is doing a follow up story. I did make sure to mention that I saw the link for the article here, the woman said she would mention it to the reporter. I wonder how many others from here will call and give a little something?
  4. Ejectr

Ejectr Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brimfield, MA
    That's a pretty sad story that unfortunately plays out all over America today. You hear people say..."if we can only make it through this winter". Well what about the next and the next. They are bound to be worse as far as fuel prices go.

We have 535 idiots in Washington that use the oil lobby to grease their pockets, so there's no help coming there. Sad, sad state of affairs.

I'm not going to question why they can't do this or that. It may seem simple from the outside looking in. That doesn't mean it's so simple from the inside. Take the article for what it is. A glimpse of a life some of us may not have a clue about.
  5. Ok, but how do you know that you can trust that this article is telling the whole truth?
  6. silverfox103

silverfox103 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Littleton, NH
    There's a lesson for everyone there: Get off the oil, or it will take you down.

Tom C.
  7. jmcp

jmcp New Member

Loc:
    lower bucks
    Dan Barry has won a lot of awards including the pulitzer for journalism
  8. "He won like a million awards or something! I'm pretty sure it was a lot!"

Yeah I'm convinced. Didn't Walter Duranty also receive the Pulitzer Prize? :roll:
  9. jmcp

jmcp New Member

Loc:
    lower bucks
    Well I wil throw $100 if someone can tell me where to send it.This kind of stuf is terrible when an old man tries to give the title of his car to heat his home
  10. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Thread moved to give it a wider audience.
  11. forya

forya Member

Loc:
    Bucks County Pa
    And how many Billions did the oil company's get in grants and tax relief this year? Isn't Hugo Chavez still giving free oil to those who can't pay?
  12. StuckInTheMuck

StuckInTheMuck Member

Loc:
    沖縄日本
    I think I would donate $100 toward a stove or firewood for this guy. That goes toward fixing the long term problem. As harsh as it sounds, giving people money to buy heating oil is just putting your finger in the dam to stop the water. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that firewood suppliers and wood stove dealers/installers work together for each other's common interest. A firewood supplier could offer a free cord to go along with a stove purchase and the stove dealer could pick up half of the cost. That would help to sell stoves and give the firewood supplier another customer. Maybe I'm completely off the mark on this one.
  13. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
  14. Jack Straw

Jack Straw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schoharie County, N Y
    Well I'm not sure if burning wood is for them or not and we all know the reasons. The sad part is that he is waisting gas to buy expensive kerosene. He's probably run the tank dry and sucked debris into his filter and nozzle. When your knocked down its so hard to get back up.
  15. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Thanks for that, smokey (and also to the OP for the article). If you have not read the additional stuff that smokey posted - a quick recap of what is going on. The old couple has a very leaky house which a couple of volunteers are offering to fix. Donations continue to pour into the oil company that will then create a trust fund to, hopefully, help others for a long time to come.

Great story and a great response by true AMERICANS.
  16. snowleopard

snowleopard New Member

The way I see it, it is more of a housing problem than a heating problem.

Design, orientation, and insulation can easily cut in half the amount of oil (or wood) burned in houses of similar size and location where those factors are neglected.

Here's a building resource that our country is so rich in that we burn it to dispose of it:
    http://strawbale.sustainablesources.com/

Here's a program that someone started because he read about elders freezing to death in their homes:
    https://www.redfeather.org/
  17. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    A dollar spent reducing demand will go sooooooo much further than a dollar spent to donate oil (or NG or pay an electric bill). We need more subsidized weatherization/insulation upgrade programs.

Something like the MassSave program in every state. Give people who want to donate the option to donate to programs like these so we can insulate the homes of those most in need at no cost.
  18. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    And this is the first year in quite a while that we have not had anyone in dire straits and in need of wood to heat their homes. This, along with super high unemployment in our area amazes me. I have no answer but am willing to help some in our area if they indeed do need help.
  19. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Well, now that you mention it. There is an old retired guy in Virginia that could use a few dozen cords of free wood if anybody wants to contribute. :cheese: I promise to dry it sufficiently before burning it.
  20. jmcp

jmcp New Member

Loc:
    lower bucks
    Well the story seems to have generated a lot of help over 100,000 in donations America still has a heart do not know about oil companies
  21. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Would shipping via UPS be okay?
  22. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Would shipping via UPS be okay?[/quote]

Prepaid. :lol: FedEx Freight's terminal isn't far from here.
  23. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    I agree that the real solution is not help with oil bills or free firewood. The solution in subsidies for insulation and weather sealing. Efficiency is the only solution to the increased energy costs.
  24. nsfd95

nsfd95 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Eastern Long Island
    It has to be some of both. Money to help insulate and update housing and help people buy oil, NG, or electric. Because even the best insulated houses can and do run out of oil or have the electric/NG shut off. Whatever the argument is it is shame that in this day and age, citizens of this great country go cold and hungry everyday.