Good Day Cutting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
All body parts accounted for, all bigger logs cut. Took advantage of cool temp, no bugs.

uploadfromtaptalk1433373235310.jpguploadfromtaptalk1433373254100.jpg

Good job! :cool: Some type of Maple?

Good job! :cool: Some type of Maple?
Yea, run of the mull soft maple, some peach trees in there too. Turns out I have this jig (in the background) that holds logs off the ground. If you can lift one end, you almost always can get the log in either the high or low shutes. Makes bucking easier.

Nice day's work. No bugs = bonus.

Nice one.

I was gonna like the post but noticed the Stihl saw

:p ::P

Reactions: BigCountryNY
I'd have to drive 20+ miles to get to the nearest Husky dealer; I've got a Stihl shop 2 miles away. Lotta Krauts live around here so this is Stihl country. ::-) Never ran a Husky but I'd like to sometime.

I'd have to drive 20+ miles to get to the nearest Husky dealer; I've got a Stihl shop 2 miles away. Lotta Krauts live around here so this is Stihl country. ::-) Never ran a Husky but I'd like to sometime.

Those square heads make a tidy saw for sure.

Reactions: Woody Stover
love that maple!!!, keep you splits on the larger side and that maple will treat you good.

Tell us more about this jig. How did you make it? Looks like something very useful.
I found it at the dump. It took me a while to realize it has different sides at different heights. If you spin it, the height changes., the lower level is good for heavier logs you can't lift one end very high.

Here's a closeup.

uploadfromtaptalk1433467069945.jpg

Reactions: HisTreeNut
So I used this jig for the smaller, longer branches. It Iets you stack 4-5 larger branches in the bigger side, I line them up to desired length and cut them all at once. Keep feeding them out...

I'm thinking a strap about 4" from the end will help keep them secure as you cut down to the last section.

I'm done! Only 4 rounds left, big y sections my 5 ton can't split.

~2 cords drying in the shed for this coming winter mostly red oak.

Almost 2.5 cords drying in the open for '16-'17

Bin full of uglies

~75 overnight logs left from last year.

Gonna start some serious grilling now on my new - to - me weber performer deluxe.

I found it at the dump. It took me a while to realize it has different sides at different heights. If you spin it, the height changes., the lower level is good for heavier logs you can't lift one end very high.

Here's a closeup.

View attachment 158626

You ought to post some measurements on that jig. For some of us, that might be a big help.
Nice wood you have there.

Status
Not open for further replies.