Good Day for a Wood Burner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lukem

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2010
Indiana
Temperature didn't crack 45 here today. Tonight's low is forecasted in the 20's. First fire due to an unseasonably warm October. BKK is currently measuring 550* on the stovetop.

For this year I have about 4.5 cord of 100% standing dead (in order of qty) elm, cherry, walnut, oak, and yellow/tulip poplar that was c/s/s last spring.

Finally got next year's supply done. Next year's stack is about 7 cord of ash, cherry, elm, and oak...half of which was c/s/s, again all from standing dead, last spring. Not sure how much I'll burn this year so I might have to raid it before the winter is over.

Man it feels good to be ahead!

Starting on the year after. 5 cord of free oak, most already cut to length, 15 minutes away. Alright, enough of this. Time to get back to work. :coolsmile:

Yes its a Great day for a FIRE.......Now until mid April! lol

Stove is on low and pumping out the heat. I love it.

Sorry but any day over 60F is a good day for a wood burner. Any day under 30F is a bad day for anyone but the wood burner.

lukem great job and you never have enough.

zap

Low 20's here last night....Soft maple no problem!

Lukem it sounds like you are doing well for getting ahead with the wood supply. Occasionally one also has to stop to just enjoy that wood heat.

29 when I woke up. Did not have a big blaze last nite but did burn. Just threw some small stuff and started it again today...72 degrees in the house, got to 68 last night...

I have two sons (3 actually...but the third is only 6 mo), 4 and 5 years old. Helping dad cut wood is their favorite thing to do. That really helps me enjoy the process. My 2yo daughter is not at all interested...but I'm working on that.

I grew up helping my dad put up 8-10 cord a year so it's really bringing back old times.

I fear I may be coming down with a case of CAD thanks to this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.