Good Day in the Woods, pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tfdchief

Minister of Fire
Nov 24, 2009
Tuscola, IL
myplace.frontier.com
It was a good day in the woods today. My son and I bucked up and quartered a big red oak. Then loaded it out to our truck and home. The sun was shinning, 20 °F, no wind. Really enjoyed the day.

Attachments

• Doug Rzr Cutting Wood 2012.jpg
    Doug Rzr Cutting Wood 2012.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 641
  • Doug Rzr Cutting Wood 2 2012.jpg
    Doug Rzr Cutting Wood 2 2012.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 617
  • Doug Rzr Cutting Wood 3 2012.jpg
    Doug Rzr Cutting Wood 3 2012.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 608
tfdhief, looks like you had a great day to grab some nice firewood. Nice rig, what make is it?

zap

zapny said:
tfdhief, looks like you had a great day to grab some nice firewood. Nice rig, what make is it?

zap
It is a Polaris Rzr. After my accident, my son traded his Honda Rancher for the Rzr. He was not willing to give up the ATVs and figured the Rzr gives much more protection. When I feel up to it, I want to do the same thing. I really want to do it again but won't risk it on an ATV....just to much chance of the same thing happening again, and I think that would be the death of me. :smirk:

That is a perfect firewood day!!! You guys got alot accomplished with some good wood. Father and son working firewood together is such a great way to bond and enjoy each others' company ^5s.

Good day, and good BTU's... Nice set up you've got there.

tfdchief said:
loon said:
Great looking day chief :)
It really was a good day loon. I still can't do my share, but my son doesn't seem to mind. I am getting stronger though.

Somehow I have a problem trying to picture you taking it easy Steve. And where is the snow? I thought you'd have some on the ground.

chvymn99, Thanks. It works pretty well other than we have to haul it to the woods. I have 2 woods I cut in but neither are mine and a ways from home.
Worth it though.

Backwoods Savage said:
tfdchief said:
loon said:
Great looking day chief :)
It really was a good day loon. I still can't do my share, but my son doesn't seem to mind. I am getting stronger though.

Somehow I have a problem trying to picture you taking it easy Steve. And where is the snow? I thought you'd have some on the ground.
Dang, hate it that I am so transparent. ;-) We had snow Dennis, but this up and down temp. swings gets rid of it pretty fast. Today it is all freezing rain and sleet, a real mess......and tonight thunderstorms!!!??? :ahhh:

I'm a new pellet guy and never had a wood stove, but I spend as much time on hearth.com looking at pictures of wood gathering and reading about wood splitting and stacking. I know it ain't easy maintaing a good stock of firewood, but you guys are living the life -- healthy work in beautiful environments all resulting in a warm fire. Just had to say it.

mrjohneel said:
I'm a new pellet guy and never had a wood stove, but I spend as much time on hearth.com looking at pictures of wood gathering and reading about wood splitting and stacking. I know it ain't easy maintaing a good stock of firewood, but you guys are living the life -- healthy work in beautiful environments all resulting in a warm fire. Just had to say it.
mrjohneel. Maybe we will covert you someday ;-P Us wood guys have a good time for sure.

I'd like to try a pellet stove, but it's just too much work splitting it down that small...

DanCorcoran said:
I'd like to try a pellet stove, but it's just too much work splitting it down that small...

I think Dennis has a vertical splitting trick for doing this :lol: ! Real good looking work Chief and I can't wait till my boys are old enough to really get into the hard stuff - oldest son (8) and daughter (5) are good stackers and my youngest son (2) just likes fire. Cheers!

Its always a good day in the woods when you have pleasant company & everything works well.Dad helped me a little last week,sharpened a chain for me & made a few cuts while we started salvaging some of that green White & Bur Oak the County Road guys left in the right-of-way ditches.98% of the time I work by myself (cellphone always on in pocket & parents are a few hundred feet away either inside the house or wandering outside the yard if weather is decent),so its nice for a change).Dad said "I'll let you do all the splitting,even though I seen what that X25 can do,I'm retired from that ;-) "

Glad you're progressing nicely,Chief.Just watch it & dont try to over do even when you feel great some days.

NH_Wood said:
DanCorcoran said:
I can't wait till my boys are old enough to really get into the hard stuff - oldest son (8) and daughter (5) are good stackers and my youngest son (2) just likes fire. Cheers!

That is the age that starts the bond my son and I have now. Enjoy them, they will grow up to fast. My grandsons are 6 and 8........I get to do it all over again :)

Chief it's good to see you're getting out there and gettin stronger..... it looks like you guys had a good day in the woods. I've been up on the farm playing in the snow all day with the snowmobile , getting ready to haul a load of white oak I cut up this afternoon right now..

Scotty Overkill said:
Chief it's good to see you're getting out there and gettin stronger..... it looks like you guys had a good day in the woods. I've been up on the farm playing in the snow all day with the snowmobile , getting ready to haul a load of white oak I cut up this afternoon right now..
Thanks Scotty, be careful on that snowmobile

Thistle said:
Its always a good day in the woods when you have pleasant company & everything works well.Dad helped me a little last week,sharpened a chain for me & made a few cuts while we started salvaging some of that green White & Bur Oak the County Road guys left in the right-of-way ditches.98% of the time I work by myself (cellphone always on in pocket & parents are a few hundred feet away either inside the house or wandering outside the yard if weather is decent),so its nice for a change).Dad said "I'll let you do all the splitting,even though I seen what that X25 can do,I'm retired from that ;-) "

Glad you're progressing nicely,Chief.Just watch it & dont try to over do even when you feel great some days.
Thanks Thistle, you take care of your Dad, he probably deserves it. :)

tfdchief said:
Scotty Overkill said:
Thanks Scotty, be careful on that snowmobile
Will do, my friend.....

Great Day in the woods in my book.
Bet you had to drop a layer or 2 of clothing as the day went on.
Good days work, cut & split.
Looks like you had fun too. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.