Good Day to be a Wood Burner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

albertj03

Minister of Fire
Oct 16, 2009
Southern Maine
20 degrees outside, 7 degrees with the windchill as the wind is blowing like a SOB and it's 71 on the first floor with the stove cruisin in the basement. I've got a nice mix of Red and White Oak going right now and will reload with Black Locust later this afternoon. Foreign oil can kiss my rear end!!

Oil over a $100/barrel yesteday. What's heating oil at?
I can't imagine the annual fuel cost in the larger homes that were going up when i moved from Scarborough '02.

Lowest price I'm seeing right now for home heathing oil is $3.28 a gallon and the high price is $3.44 which isn't all that bad. Not long ago the low price with in the $3.40's.

I've got a 1,700 sqft 2 story colonial and before I started burning wood I think I was going through around 100 gallons of oil per month in the winter. I've easily cut that in half if not more as the oil is still used for the 2nd floor and hot water.

Good Day to be a Wood Burner

You got that right!

It is bit warmer here about 28*, it's a nice 77* in the living room. Stove is at about 300* mostly coals.

The additional attic insulation I am in the process of installing ( 75% done) seems to be really helping retain the heat.

Checked HHO price, about 3.60/gl. :ahhh:

I think the last time I purchased oil was around 09, I still have around 100 gal.

The furnace has not run this season except the time I ran it to make sure it was working.

I am trying to see if I can go the whole winter with out using it at all.

Foreign oil can kiss my read end!!
^X2!!

Same here haven't had to fill the 500gal propane tank since I had the stove installed.
I ran it for 2 weeks last january-early feb, when It stayed below 35 for highs - This is unusual where I'm at.
Been seriously debating about selling the big tank, and getting some smaller 20-30gal tanks. For the really cold snaps once an year.
I look out the wonderful bay window I built a few years ago, to an unsightly tank, sitting on a concrete slab thats settled about 3inches on one end

My heating oil supplier (although I'm not sure I can really call them my supplier since I haven't ordered oil in two years) is currently at $3.53 for the "cheap stuff" . . . $3.83 for the winter blend (kerosene blended with heating oil) and $3.93 for folks who have to use kerosene.

Similar temps . . . and I'm lucky . . . wife got up early this morning and reloaded the stove for me so it was nice and toasty warm . . .and since she's off today I figure it will still be nice and toasty warm when I get home . . . probably should have left her some good wood though -- there were several pieces of poplar I brought in this morning . . . oh well, it still makes heat . . . she'll just have to reload it a bit sooner.

Yesterday was in the 20's and dropped into the teens overnight...and it was nice and warm in the Cottage with a cozy fire in the stove. Even cooked us a chicken in our dutch oven in the stove when we got home, on the coals from the AM load. Nothing better (except someone else cleaning up the dutch oven after, lol).

Every day is a good day to be a Wood Burner if you have a good supply of wood stashed away for the future.

I must be the oil companies worst enemy ;-)

woodchip said:
Every day is a good day to be a Wood Burner if you have a good supply of wood stashed away for the future.

I must be the oil companies worst enemy ;-)

Actually this is the oil companies' worst enemy. . . . ;)

Attachments

• refinery-fire-0815-ju-590x407.jpg
    refinery-fire-0815-ju-590x407.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 209
Today's oil prices are $3.77/gallon for fuel oil and $4.27/gallon for kerosene from my local dealer in Southern VT.

Glad I don't need to fill my 500 gallon tank!

Bet you're even gladder you didn't just pay to fill the one above ;-)

albertj03 said:
20 degrees outside, 7 degrees with the windchill as the wind is blowing like a SOB and it's 71 on the first floor with the stove cruisin in the basement. I've got a nice mix of Red and White Oak going right now and will reload with Black Locust later this afternoon. Foreign oil can kiss my rear end!!

I was using about 175 gallons of propane a month before the stove with the t-stat set on 65*. Now the furnace hasn't kicked on at all (except for the yearly test) and the house is usually about 72*.

BASOD said:
I look out the wonderful bay window I built a few years ago, to an unsightly tank, sitting on a concrete slab thats settled about 3inches on one end

Plant a tree!

Status
Not open for further replies.