Good Deal...I Think

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Fox

Jan 12, 2006
So, I've been looking for a source to buy logs of hardwood for me to cut and split. I found a guy who will sell and deliver oak logs for $35 a ton. He delivers on a dump truck and says he get between eight and nine tons on a truck and that would run somewhere around $300 for the load. From what I can calculate, I should be able to get between three and four cords per truck load. I'm thinking that is a good deal. What do you all think? (If I like what I see I'll order another load or two). By the way, there is an add in yesterday's paper selling seasoned/split/delivered/stacked wood at the following prices: 5/8 cord of oak at $165; 5/8 cord of hickory at $225; and 5/8 cord of mixed hardwood at $135.

Yes if you dont mind the cutting/splitting/waiting its not too bad of a deal. Depending on how wet it is there may be may be 3 tons per cord so if he has 9 tons on a load your estimte of 3+ cords is pretty close.

If youre ahead already and can stay ahead of the seasoning curve to where you always have seasoned oak thats a good situation,

At the local sawmill, I can by cut and split hardwood for $80/ton. Just FYI

Yes, I do enjoy the cutting and splitting of firewood. I currently have about two years worth of seasoned splits out there ready to burn. I've tried to maintain a three year supply on hand, but wasn't physically able to put any wood up at all last year, so I'm down to two years. My goal now is to get up to and maintain a five to six year supply. With my Blaze King and our Southeastern somewhat mild winters, I heat our 1500 sq. ft. house all season, totally with the wood stove, and use two cords a season. I've got trees on our eleven acres I plan on thinning out, but want to do that to replace each season's wood as I use it.

Heck get a load and try it. 9 tons of wood dropped off for you to cut and split at your leisure sounds pretty good. Get em all bucked and split and you will be that much ahead. If youre happy with the quality then you can be a repeat customer

I don't have the tools to split wood, so I buy it. This year I'm getting 1 1/2 cords, up 1/4 from last year. This is fine with me as I burn wood to supplement gas heat. Anyway ...... when I went to buy the mixed hardwood the prices were $85 - 1/4 cord ...... $150 - 1/2 cord ....... $265 - 1 cord. So I order 1 1/2 cords and they charge me the 265 + 150 for a total of $415. I ask em why am I paying $150 for the 1/2 cord when I'm buying in larger quantity. I asked why can't I get the volume discount ? The lady looks at me dumbfounded and says she's gotta call the boss. The boss comes over and says I have a point, so he gives me a cost of $397 for the 1 1/2 cords. Now I know its only an $18 savings, but that's not the point. What amazed me is that nobody has ever before questioned this price structure. This nursery has been around forever and it seems as though I'm the only one who's ever questioned this .... go figure.

Hehheh . . . I get a kick out of the idea that 1 1/2 cords is considered "volume." For me that's a good start . . .

Of course, as you mentioned you are just supplementing the gas heater.

firefighterjake said:
Hehheh . . . I get a kick out of the idea that 1 1/2 cords is considered "volume." For me that's a good start . . .

Of course, as you mentioned you are just supplementing the gas heater.

Yep that's kinda relative I guess. Depending on when burning season starts here, 1 1/2 cord is usually good thru the shoulder season. Around Christmas I break out the oak & cherry mix till march. Volume here is usually 5 + cords per delivery to get a decent price break. Hence the reason I haven't bought any wood. Just keep the saws sharp & clean. A C

Status
Not open for further replies.