Good deal on almost new Cub Cadet 27 ton splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenster

Minister of Fire
Jan 10, 2010
Texas- West of Houston
Stopped at a pawn shop in Houston today to ask if they had any splitters.
They had one- an unclaimed pawn.
27 ton Cub Cadet that looks like it just came from the factory. Not a single scratch on the fenders, the slide, the wedge it tongue. Tires look like they've never touch the payment.
Owner was out but the assistant manager said it should be close to
$900. The CC website indicates MSRP of $1900.
This sounds like a really good deal even though it's probably more machine than I need.
What do you guys think? Any problems with Cub Cadet that I should watch for?
I'm going to offer even lower $$$ but for $900 I should grab it.
Probably could sell it in a few years for at least what I paid for it.
Of course, I'll take some big rounds with me for a test drive before I lay down the money.
Ken

900.00 seems high!

yooperdave said:
kenster, if it was here (locally) it would be gone! grab it!!

These sold new at home depot for 1299.00 new being int Texas 900.00 pretty High!

around these parts, they go for 1600. thats what i'm comparing the price to.
i keep hearing about these places with "cheaper priced" splitters, but always come up empty!
right now, the cheapest new price is a 25 ton mtd for 1080...and not quite happy with all the features of that one, either

Ok, new-"Buy it Now" ebay price is $1499.00. Forget MSRP, that's blue sky pricing. Have your wife call the pawnshop, ask what they'd give for a brand new chainsaw- you pick the model- and base their offer off of MSRP for that saw. Make it a good saw- not a big box store saw. See what they offer percentage wise. I've heard they only offer 25-30% of value. Go from there. I'm thinking $6-700 CASH in hand, you'll be good. You know you want it. You really want it. You NEED it! Must have it!! *frothes at mouth*.........yes, I am an enabler. ;-)

yooperdave said:
around these parts, they go for 1600. thats what i'm comparing the price to.
i keep hearing about these places with "cheaper priced" splitters, but always come up empty!
right now, the cheapest new price is a 25 ton mtd for 1080...and not quite happy with all the features of that one, either

Year maybe 18 months ago they where on sale or that was the normal price 1299.00. I would not jump in Texas for a couple cords a year for that deal.

Beetle-Kill said:
Ok, new-"Buy it Now" ebay price is $1499.00. Forget MSRP, that's blue sky pricing. Have your wife call the pawnshop, ask what they'd give for a brand new chainsaw- you pick the model- and base their offer off of MSRP for that saw. Make it a good saw- not a big box store saw. See what they offer percentage wise. I've heard they only offer 25-30% of value. Go from there. I'm thinking $6-700 CASH in hand, you'll be good. You know you want it. You really want it. You NEED it! Must have it!! *frothes at mouth*.........yes, I am an enabler. ;-)

+1 dont Jump in Texas for 900.00!

Lord knows what the shipping cost will be on an eBay purchase of that weight. The guy in the store said "these things run new from $2000 to $3000.
I knew better but was not there to buy or negotiate at that time and didn't want to get into a debate with him. It's a pawn shop. What they sell it for depends a lot on what they have into it. If they loaned the owner $700, say, they'll want to make a little profit. I have no problem with a business making a little profit off of me. I'd like to keep that at 'very little.' I may go back with cash in hand and see what I can do.

I was almost settled on a 7 ton electric from Harbor Freight. That would run about $400. I will also need 100 feet of heavy duty extension cord that will cost close to another $100. So we're talking $500 to go with a 7 ton electric or MAYBE $750 to $800 on an almost brand new 27 ton Cub Cadet.

Kenster said:
Lord knows what the shipping cost will be on an eBay purchase of that weight. The guy in the store said "these things run new from $2000 to $3000.
I knew better but was not there to buy or negotiate at that time and didn't want to get into a debate with him. It's a pawn shop. What they sell it for depends a lot on what they have into it. If they loaned the owner $700, say, they'll want to make a little profit. I have no problem with a business making a little profit off of me. I'd like to keep that at 'very little.' I may go back with cash in hand and see what I can do.

I was almost settled on a 7 ton electric from Harbor Freight. That would run about $400. I will also need 100 feet of heavy duty extension cord that will cost close to another $100. So we're talking $500 to go with a 7 ton electric or MAYBE $750 to $800 on an almost brand new 27 ton Cub Cadet.

The longer a pawn shop keeps something the cheaper it will go. Most have a price tag with dates that the item will drop on. Just seems Texas there would not be a big demand for splitters. I could be wrong though.

Eastern part of Texas is pretty wooded. Northeast is very heavily wooded. As for actual burning season, we get temps in the teens in this part of Texas and many days of sub freezing. My target temp is an overnight of 40 or lower. That's when I fire up the stove.

I grew up in the Panhandle of Texas. We often had blizzards and zero degree days. Of course, there are no trees at all up there!

Kenster said:
Eastern part of Texas is pretty wooded. Northeast is very heavily wooded. As for actual burning season, we get temps in the teens in this part of Texas and many days of sub freezing. My target temp is an overnight of 40 or lower. That's when I fire up the stove.

I grew up in the Panhandle of Texas. We often had blizzards and zero degree days. Of course, there are no trees at all up there!

Ok, I get it now...lol One of the hottest summer I ever spent was a winter in Dallas. Hate that part of Texas. lol 900.00 a fair deal.

Again, I don't NEED a 27 ton splitter. Wasn't even considering one. Couldn't even really justify a thousand dollar Huskee 22. But, for a halfway decent price not too much more than a good electric one... why not? Especially if I can get my neighbor to go in with me. Maybe I can sell him a 1/3 share! If I could afford it on my own I'd just flat out buy it and let him borrow it any time he needs it. We're that kind of friend and neighbor.

Ken, consider the time of year it is. Perhaps if he keeps that splitter another 2 months he might be a bit more hungry for those dollars. Good luck.

It's likely the same splitter as the Troy-Bilt 27-ton model but with yellow paint and different fenders; therefore, I wouldn't pay more for it than a Troy-Bilt. The local CC and John Deere dealers had them new in their respective showrooms not too long ago.

There's no warranty on the pawn shop unit, I bet. If a new unit is not much more, it may be worth it to you to get a warranty.

Backwoods Savage said:
Ken, consider the time of year it is. Perhaps if he keeps that splitter another 2 months he might be a bit more hungry for those dollars. Good luck.

I thought about that. If I can get at least one neighbor on board as a partner I may offer about $700 and see where it goes. I'd be surprised if they have even that much in it on the loan. (It was pawned.) I'm not falling in love with it but. It's more machine than I really need but why not?.... if I can get a good deal. They're not trying hard to sell it right now, though. It was in their storage building, not on the showroom floor. Not even priced yet. The guy just estimated $900 based on what they have into it, he said. Leads me to believe they have half that amount invested in it.

I assume the shop is on the level, but if the unit is unused, where did it come from? It may be hot…??? Just my paranoia showing...

TreePointer said:
It's likely the same splitter as the Troy-Bilt 27-ton model but with yellow paint and different fenders; therefore, I wouldn't pay more for it than a Troy-Bilt. The local CC and John Deere dealers had them new in their respective showrooms not too long ago.

One website, that sells both "brands" shows the Troy-built with a 208cc "Troybuilt" engine.
The Cub Cadet is a 277cc Honda engine. The Honda should be worth a bit more, shouldn't it?

CC has a 15 second cycle. TB has a 19 second cycle.

CC has "Diamond plated" steel fenders. TB has Polymer fenders.

CC as this store lists for $1599 "sale price."
TB lists for $1299.
Free shipping.

So, this particular store indicates the CC to have a more powerful engine and more solidly built.

Of course, I am not considering buying from this place. It just offered a good side by side comparison.

heat seeker said:
I assume the shop is on the level, but if the unit is unused, where did it come from? It may be hot…??? Just my paranoia showing...

I'd feel much safer buying from a reputable pawn shop than from eBay or Craigs List. Pawn shops have to hold all items at least 30 days before selling them. They have to file police forms. They can be shut down real quickly if they start fencing stolen goods.

I'm not saying that never happens. But the odds are a lot more in your favor buying from a pawn shop that has been in business a long time. They have to get I.D. from the seller and they keep a record of it.

Who knows where these things come from? Maybe he won it in a raffle at church. Maybe he bought it then had a bad stroke of luck. That goes for pretty much every item in a pawn shop. If it was stolen, I would think the guy would have sold it outright for the quick cash, rather than pawn it, pay the interest for a month or two, then never come back to pay anymore and, therefore, defaulted on his loan. So his collateral, the splitter, is now up for sale so the lien holder (pawn shop) can recoup the loss they made on the loan and make a little profit on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.