Good deal on used saws?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

caber

Feb 6, 2008
Western Maryland
Alright. I have a Husky 55 Rancher. I've decided to buy another saw (or 2) - a backup and something bigger. Craigslist has quite a few of them used locally and we have several very good Husky and Stihl shops around here to tune them up. Here's the group from this weekend that I'm looking at.

husqvarna 395xp $400

Husqvarna 268 w24 inch bar 350.00

Stihl 029 Super Farm Boss 18in bar 200.00

Stihl MS290 Farm Boss 18" bar,many chains $220

Assuming they are in good condition, any opinions on their prices versus their quality? Any really good deals in there?

Thanks all.

Neither of the Stihl saws you list would be an upgrade from what you have, and would not share bars and (possibly) chain loops. Poor choice for a back-up, and definitely not an upgrade.

The other two would be definite steps up in size, but without knowing more about their condition it is difficult to say whether the asking prices are fair. I am sure you could find a 395xp that would be a steal at $400, but could just as easily find one that isn't worth much more than $50 for parts...

caber said:
Alright. I have a Husky 55 Rancher. I've decided to buy another saw (or 2) - a backup and something bigger. Craigslist has quite a few of them used locally and we have several very good Husky and Stihl shops around here to tune them up. Here's the group from this weekend that I'm looking at.

husqvarna 395xp $400

Assuming they are in good condition, any opinions on their prices versus their quality? Any really good deals in there?

Thanks all.
husqvarna 395xp $400 very nice upgrade with this one! Thats a 93cc saw WOW!

computeruser said:
Neither of the Stihl saws you list would be an upgrade from what you have, and would not share bars and (possibly) chain loops. Poor choice for a back-up, and definitely not an upgrade.

The other two would be definite steps up in size, but without knowing more about their condition it is difficult to say whether the asking prices are fair. I am sure you could find a 395xp that would be a steal at $400, but could just as easily find one that isn't worth much more than $50 for parts...
your right there check compression on it, see how it runs in the wood

caber said:

husqvarna 395xp $400

Thanks all.

I got my Domar from ebay. A dealer called Amicks was selling a lightly used one. 275 for the saw. I'd check that out, and try to buy from a dealer on ebay that has a 7 day return policy.

Also check out the HomeDepot rental department. My buddy bought a used Makita there for 175 and it is a fine saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.