Good Deal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cross Cut Saw

Feeling the Heat
Mar 25, 2012
Boulder, CO
Is this a good deal?

http://maine.craigslist.org/for/2918859957.html

I'd probably have to spend a little bit on a truck rental to move it but it's not far from my house.

Currently in my area seasoned hardwood cut split an delivered (the only thing I'm currently able to do with my limited time and resources) is about $250-$275/cord.

If it's decent would it become good if I offered and got it for less?

I guess the real question is, in February when I'm looking at those piles of wood that were green in May would I be better off using 9 month seasoned hardwood or this?

THANKS!

" in February when I'm looking at those piles of wood that were green in May would I be better off using 9 month seasoned hardwood or this?"
9 month seasoned would get my vote. I would not pay for pine/popple mix.

Reactions: smokinj
If that read $110 for all, I would say go for it.
I know you are looking to stock up (welcome!), but I bet you might be able to find something else if you keep looking.
Also, when the fall commences, you might be able to get a good deal on Biobricks at the Tractor Supply. They are compressed wood, something like solid pellets, and will burn hot and dry; I used them to get through a lean winter with less than ideal wood. Just a thought.
Happy hunting!!

Reactions: smokinj
Around here you can get pine for free quite often.

Here in Maine pine and poplar are known as "junk wood" . . . and if someone showed up with a load of pine and poplar most folks would tell them to head right back the way they came as many folks refuse to burn this wood . . . some even believe it will burn too hot, plug up the chimney, etc.

That said . . . it's a fair price for the wood, but honestly pine and poplar are mostly good for the shoulder seasons and for use as kindling -- not as the wood you want when it's deep in the month of January. Most folks try to give away this wood and even then it's sometimes a tough sell. If they brought the price down to maybe $50-$75 a cord or sold the whole kit and caboodle for their original per cord price I might jump on the offer . . . just to allow the less seasoned hardwood a chance to season up a bit longer and would burn this in the shoulder season . . . other wise I would stick with the hardwood.

Let's say you get some higher-BTU wood later but can't get it totally dry in time; If you have this dry wood to mix in, it'll be easier to burn the not-quite-dry stuff.

Reactions: Thistle
That wood is for fall and spring burning or maybe even in winter when you are home to tend the fire. That wood will give heat but will burn fast as it is not very dense at all. Still it might be worth it to have this wood to help get through your first year of burning, but I'd definitely try to get the price down further. Good luck.

No one is going to pay him $110 a cord for pine and poplar, around here you couldnt sell oak for $110 a cord if you had to transport it yourself. Id throw him a low ball offer and if he says no give him your number and say call me if you change your mind. In the mean time keep looking for something better. Even if you find some better wood and he called you, for the right price Id still get it for shoulder season.

Pine & poplar mix here in the Northeast? I'd consider transporting the wood in my vehicle a fair price. As others have said, he'd have a tough time giving it away, let alone selling it.

Is this a good deal?

http://maine.craigslist.org/for/2918859957.html

I'd probably have to spend a little bit on a truck rental to move it but it's not far from my house.

Currently in my area seasoned hardwood cut split an delivered (the only thing I'm currently able to do with my limited time and resources) is about $250-$275/cord.

If it's decent would it become good if I offered and got it for less?

I guess the real question is, in February when I'm looking at those piles of wood that were green in May would I be better off using 9 month seasoned hardwood or this?

THANKS!

I would take a cord of that wood for maybe $80 , and 3 or more cords of this fellow's wood if it is as advertised. Bring an axe or maul and moisture meter to confirm dryness.

http://maine.craigslist.org/grd/3042556088.html

Offer 1/2, $55.
You know what it takes to get wood in & get it ready to burn. Hard work.
Having some good dry soft wood is better than wet hardwood in BTU output.
But it sounds like the price, for that type of wood in your areas, is a bit steep.
$110 delivered would be a different story.
But like you said, if needed on a cold day in Feb...... :)

If I could get $275 a cord I consider selling all my wood. It's oak and ash, any takers ? 15 cord

You can buy cut and split for $200/cord around here all day long. $300/cord gets you kiln dried. If you need some numbers PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.