Good deed of the month.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bfunk13

Minister of Fire
Sep 11, 2008
Wyoming
There is an old man at the end of our road who has been working away at splitting his firewood for the last few weeks. He will do 5-10 rounds per day with an axe. Not in any hurry, but not making much progress. When i passed the other day he was sitting on a stump and looked exhausted. I had to move my splitter anyways, so i grabbed my son and showed up with my splitter. In 2 hours we split and stacked all the wood he had. He was very appreciative as the splitting was very hard on the old guy.
The other night i came home from work to find he had ordered 2 large pizzas and had delivered for us.
Feels good to help out.

The Math

2 (hours of splitting)
+
2 (father spending quality time with son)
+
2 (pizzas delivered as a thank you gift)

6 (months of heating for an appreciative senior and neighbor)
+
1 (life lesson for son about the value of helping others in need)

What a great neighbor. You might even have given his heart a few extra years.

...Feels good to help out.

I'm confident that what he was saying with the pizzas was how grateful he was...not just for all the help you gave him, but really for noticing him at all. So many folks like him seem to just be invisible to the folks around them. You're a good neighbor (and a good dad). Someday some of us will be the invisible folks...I hope we have neighbors like you. Rick

Awesome.... excellent lessons learned all around !!!

Reactions: bfunk13
This is a beautiful story. Unless, of course, there were olives on those pizzas. Then it's a horrible story.

Hey Danno, I'll take the olives! ;lol

Reactions: Danno77
bfunk, thank you. You did the right thing and we know that old man really appreciated it. No doubt, like Fossil stated, he was appreciative just knowing that someone watched him and noticed that he needed some help. And one of the best parts is the lesson you gave to your son!

bfunk, thank you. You did the right thing and we know that old man really appreciated it. No doubt, like Fossil stated, he was appreciative just knowing that someone watched him and noticed that he needed some help. And one of the best parts is the lesson you gave to your son!

People like you are the reason so many enjoy this forum bfunk. I'll take friends & good neighbors over money any day. Well done! A C

You are a fire wood junkie.
Guy splits 5 rounds per day & you spot it from 500 yards & wanta go help.

You're a "Great neighbor". May many rewards come your way ;)
Thanks for sharing :)

Hey bfunk, you are always welcome to move to upstate NY. It isn't as pretty as your state and the taxes are much higher, but we would love to have you here! Great Job!

That was a nice thing to do.

There is an old man at the end of our road who has been working away at splitting his firewood for the last few weeks. He will do 5-10 rounds per day with an axe. Not in any hurry, but not making much progress. When i passed the other day he was sitting on a stump and looked exhausted. I had to move my splitter anyways, so i grabbed my son and showed up with my splitter. In 2 hours we split and stacked all the wood he had. He was very appreciative as the splitting was very hard on the old guy.
The other night i came home from work to find he had ordered 2 large pizzas and had delivered for us.
Feels good to help out.
I love to see stories like that. You're a good man, brother.

A few years ago we had a very heavy snow of about 30 inches, which we don't normally get here. My driveway is about 250 feet long, and I was kind of running out of steam (don't laugh at me, I'm old), and I could see the youngsters across the road ploughing out their lane. I waved a couple of times, looking forlorn, but no soap. I would have paid them to finish up, I have a lymphedema issue with one arm. Along came some mangy looking hoofer, he offered to help, I was down to the hard icy stuff from the state road crew, and he wouldn't take any money. I learned he was hitch-hiking back to Westminster, a good 15 miles or so. Soon as he got the rest of driveway clear, I gave him a ride to town. Maybe not the smartest thing for a lone woman to do, but I think we both benefitted that day. Sometimes you have to turn it over to a higher power and believe in the Good.

Great story Sue. Danged good of you to offer the ride too. You make us proud.

Nice job! Helping the ol gent and teaching a valuable lesson to your son.

Status
Not open for further replies.