Good engine degreaser?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NH_Wood

Minister of Fire
Dec 24, 2009
southern NH
Hi everyone - I've been buying a lot of older saws lately and end up spending a lot of time cleaning them up real well - lots of grease, grime, etc. I've been just using straight gas, but I'm getting tired of working with it all the time. Any recommendations for a good decreaser? I've seen some by Gunk, WD-40, etc. - I'm assuming the are all pretty much the same, but thought I'd ask. I assume it would be okay on the plastics as well? Thanks! Cheers!

If I get something that's really greasy and nasty , simple green works very well for me .

Reactions: gmule
If you want to remove the grime quick try some oven cleaner. Safe for plastics and paints. If you spray it on and put the part in a plastic bag for 20-30 minutes it will loosen up most everything.

I've also had good luck with magic erasers for stains in plastic.

Reactions: HittinSteel
If you want to remove the grime quick try some oven cleaner. Safe for plastics and paints. If you spray it on and put the part in a plastic bag for 20-30 minutes it will loosen up most everything.

I've also had good luck with magic erasers for stains in plastic.

Mike - great, I'll try that. What is a magic eraser? Cheers!

Here is a saw I've been cleaning up a few minutes here and there. Don't have any good before pics. But it was the dirtiest saw you can imagine. The entire recoil cover was black with at least 1/8" of black goop. Every fin was coated and the front concave part was extremely bad

Here is some pics after the oven cleaner treatment on the covers.
EdaAyTz.jpg

h3gQv42.jpg

I also did a little work on the air filter cover with a magic eraser and wet dry sand paper. I used liquid wrench and so far up to 440grit to wet sand it. Not perfect but the sheen is coming back.
ICFdpdF.jpg

Lookin' good! I just picked up a Husky 268 which is in the same condition you describe - good runner, but dirty as hell - I'll give it a shot! Thanks for the link! Cheers!

there's a cleaner called S-100 it was sold at Harley shops ,ain't cheap

Best thing about it is it won't hurt anything

Haven't had any for quite a while but I use to swear by it.

Was about $15 a Qt but lasted very well

Citrus based degreaser. Stihl dealers sometimes carry Stihl brand degreaser in a spray bottle. Stuff works great and is cheap depending on your dealer. Goof Off or similar for adhesive residue or stubborn sap.

Reactions: Butcher
oven cleaner is a good degreaser just go carefull on alloy or magnesium parts as if there polished etc the oven clean especialy if it is a caustic base will tarnish those very quick to the point where thay turn almost black ....

Great info everyone - thanks! Cheers!

Purple stuff from Walmart

pink stuff works well too.

Oven cleaner is also good for removing automotive paint...
I took an old husky clutch cover and covered it with oven cleaner, stuck it in a plastic bag for a couple days to see what would happen. Didn't take the paint off. But it did start to soften up the paint a little. And started to have slight fading of the paint.

Oven cleaner is really good, but unlike Mike my experience has been it will remove paint. It also helps if you can warm it a bit after spaying on the oven cleaner, doesn't have to be much, just let it sit out in the sun for a while.

On the EZ-Auto I resurrected I used simple green and compressed air. Worked well.

K

More good info - thanks - I think I'll avoid the oven cleaner at first if it might change the plastic or paint - most of this is for re-sale of the saws, so trying to keep them as nice as possible. Thanks again!

I use a tub of lard and a toothbrush on heavy grease on many things it comes right off. A little soap water afterwords and the object is good as new.

Pete

Believe it or not this product from home depot works awesome. It's marketed as a 100% citrus air freshener but it the best degreaser and adhesive remover i have used. One of the old timers at home depot told me about it and i was convinced.

another cleaner came to mind ,Disolvit )(misspelled) a citrus based cleaner ,safe enough to use on open wounds.Was found in grocery stores ,Much like most citrus based degreasers work well without DAMAGE!

Greatest stain remover for clothes I ever found & AGAIN SAFE ON ANYTHING NO DAMAGE ON ANYTHING OF ANY KIND!!!!!!!!!

My clean up ritual for saws is simple green, magic eraser and then meguires tire shine.

Works well on 25 year old atvs too :)

Attachments

• 2013-03-19 19.14.10.jpg
    2013-03-19 19.14.10.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 197
Status
Not open for further replies.