1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Good engine degreaser?

Post in 'The Gear' started by NH_Wood, Apr 2, 2013.

1. NH_Wood

NH_Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    Hi everyone - I've been buying a lot of older saws lately and end up spending a lot of time cleaning them up real well - lots of grease, grime, etc. I've been just using straight gas, but I'm getting tired of working with it all the time. Any recommendations for a good decreaser? I've seen some by Gunk, WD-40, etc. - I'm assuming the are all pretty much the same, but thought I'd ask. I assume it would be okay on the plastics as well? Thanks! Cheers!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Nixon

Nixon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Sunbury ,Pa.
    If I get something that's really greasy and nasty , simple green works very well for me .
    gmule likes this.
  3. If you want to remove the grime quick try some oven cleaner. Safe for plastics and paints. If you spray it on and put the part in a plastic bag for 20-30 minutes it will loosen up most everything.

I've also had good luck with magic erasers for stains in plastic.
    HittinSteel likes this.
  4. NH_Wood

NH_Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    Mike - great, I'll try that. What is a magic eraser? Cheers!
  5. Here is a saw I've been cleaning up a few minutes here and there. Don't have any good before pics. But it was the dirtiest saw you can imagine. The entire recoil cover was black with at least 1/8" of black goop. Every fin was coated and the front concave part was extremely bad

Here is some pics after the oven cleaner treatment on the covers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also did a little work on the air filter cover with a magic eraser and wet dry sand paper. I used liquid wrench and so far up to 440grit to wet sand it. Not perfect but the sheen is coming back.
    [​IMG]
  6. NH_Wood

NH_Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    Lookin' good! I just picked up a Husky 268 which is in the same condition you describe - good runner, but dirty as hell - I'll give it a shot! Thanks for the link! Cheers!
  7. JustWood

JustWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Arrow Bridge,NY
    I use super strength Greased Lightning. It's about $8/gal at Home Depot. Works good for the price.
    pen likes this.
  8. Jack Fate

Jack Fate Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northwest Ohio
    there's a cleaner called S-100 it was sold at Harley shops ,ain't cheap

Best thing about it is it won't hurt anything

Haven't had any for quite a while but I use to swear by it.

Was about $15 a Qt but lasted very well
  9. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Citrus based degreaser. Stihl dealers sometimes carry Stihl brand degreaser in a spray bottle. Stuff works great and is cheap depending on your dealer. Goof Off or similar for adhesive residue or stubborn sap.
    Butcher likes this.
  10. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
  11. geoff1969

geoff1969 Member

Loc:
    australia
    oven cleaner is a good degreaser just go carefull on alloy or magnesium parts as if there polished etc the oven clean especialy if it is a caustic base will tarnish those very quick to the point where thay turn almost black ....
  12. NH_Wood

NH_Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    Great info everyone - thanks! Cheers!
  13. Sean McGillicuddy

Sean McGillicuddy Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Easton mass.
    Purple stuff from Walmart
  14. 91LMS

91LMS Member

Loc:
    MAINE
    pink stuff works well too.
  15. backpack09

backpack09 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Whitman, Mass
    Oven cleaner is also good for removing automotive paint...
  16. I took an old husky clutch cover and covered it with oven cleaner, stuck it in a plastic bag for a couple days to see what would happen. Didn't take the paint off. But it did start to soften up the paint a little. And started to have slight fading of the paint.
  17. kopeck

kopeck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Maine
    Oven cleaner is really good, but unlike Mike my experience has been it will remove paint. It also helps if you can warm it a bit after spaying on the oven cleaner, doesn't have to be much, just let it sit out in the sun for a while.

On the EZ-Auto I resurrected I used simple green and compressed air. Worked well.

K
  18. NH_Wood

NH_Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    More good info - thanks - I think I'll avoid the oven cleaner at first if it might change the plastic or paint - most of this is for re-sale of the saws, so trying to keep them as nice as possible. Thanks again!
  19. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

I use a tub of lard and a toothbrush on heavy grease on many things it comes right off. A little soap water afterwords and the object is good as new.

Pete
  20. nate379

nate379 Guest

Stoddard solvent,
  21. seige101

seige101 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Palmer, MA
    Believe it or not this product from home depot works awesome. It's marketed as a 100% citrus air freshener but it the best degreaser and adhesive remover i have used. One of the old timers at home depot told me about it and i was convinced.
  22. Jack Fate

Jack Fate Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northwest Ohio
    another cleaner came to mind ,Disolvit )(misspelled) a citrus based cleaner ,safe enough to use on open wounds.Was found in grocery stores ,Much like most citrus based degreasers work well without DAMAGE!

Greatest stain remover for clothes I ever found & AGAIN SAFE ON ANYTHING NO DAMAGE ON ANYTHING OF ANY KIND!!!!!!!!!
  23. HittinSteel

HittinSteel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    My clean up ritual for saws is simple green, magic eraser and then meguires tire shine.

Works well on 25 year old atvs too :)

Attached Files:

24. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    Diesel fuel is a great degreaser, but you'll need something else to degrease the diesel.