Good Gloves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tcassavaugh

Minister of Fire
Jan 10, 2010
Southern Maryland
Just wondering if anyone has found a pair of long wearing gloves. I seem go through a pair ever month or two from handling the wood. Most of the time its just in the fingertips. I got Wells Lamant high dollar gloves and Walmart low end and I don't seem to make much difference. I've gotten pigskin, cowhide, goatskin and buckskin and none seem to do the trick any better than the others. I got some this summer that were synthetic backing with leather fingertips and palms. They weren't too bad but cost quite a bit.....well to me anyway. Just thought I'd ask and see if anyone has found some good ones or do you just resolve yourself to buying cheap and replacing them.

Thanks

cass

With wood that going to happen but I like the all leather carharts the best.

you know, that is one brand i didn't try. love the clothes, guess i'll give the gloves a try. thanks

cass

I dont Know the brand I use but they last a while and cost about $17.00 a pair. You usually get what you pay for with that sort of thing. They are deerskin with thinsolate insolation I believe.

I've got a pair that I bought at the local feed store that are very insulated. This is the second year and one of the fingers is finally wearing thin. The are waterproof too. I feed in them, plus handle the wood with them. They are great for this time of year. I've used welders gloves in the past too.

Forget using leather for wood handling except for stove loading. I use nitrile dipped gloves. They wear well.

I second deerskin, it's what bull riders wear. I've had the same pair of deerskin gloves for five years now and I use them as my all-around work gloves, including working with horses and handling wood.

~Rose

I get longer glove life by using my pulp hooks for the majority of my wood handling. Easier on the body too. Got carharts for christmas. Seems like a tuff glove.

Will

Thanks guys. Appreciate all the feedback. Think I'll go try some Carharts or maybe see if i can find another pair of buckskin/deerskin gloves that arent lined. Thanks for the link too. That's almost a one stop shop for any type of glove. Didn't know there were so many.

cass

My Cardharts have not lasted well at all. Maybe got a month of weekending with them. Now I have 4-5 splinters in my hand that are a result of the holes in the fingers.

LLigetfa said:
Forget using leather for wood handling except for stove loading. I use nitrile dipped gloves. They wear well.

I have a pair of nitrile dipped gloves, and they wear well but aren't as warm as leather gloves. They are a whole lot more tactile (if that is the right word), because they fit close to the skin. I use the nitrile golves anytime it is moist or snowy. One thing I don't like about the nitrile-dipped gloves I have is that they don't have a wrist cuff, which I find very helpful to prevent scrapes. For leather gloves I have been using the cheap ones. Some pairs last months, others wear through very quickly. I try to look carefully at each glove before I buy, but I can't really tell which ones will be good and which not so good.

I made the switch to Ruf-flex gloves this fall and I cannot say enough good things about them. I still have not worn one pair out yet - and I bought 12. The only bad part is that the are not good enough in extreme cold - so i slide on an outer glove, the ones with the fingers already worn out. At $2 a pair you cannot go wrong.

http://www.northernsafety.com/Product/121-27505/NS-Ruf-flex-Air-Foam-Latex-Coated-Work-Gloves

You could search for older threads too on here...like this one...

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/59137/

I have used both leather and textile (kevlar) gloves from just about everywhere.
The 'mechanix' style gloves with spandex kevlar and leather are good all around gloves
for manual splitting, but for handling and stacking the wood I am with the majority and
say leather gloves wear better. I have had pretty good luck with Harbor Freight gloves,
and they are cheap so if they wear out, I will have minimal invested. For $25 for the 'premium'
work name brand gloves, I can buy five pairs of these:
http://www.harborfreight.com/split-leather-work-glove-66610.html

You can't tell me that the Kar-Hearts are 5 times better.
Plus I always have a pair to lend out to some 'helping hands' lol

jlove1974 said:
I have used both leather and textile (kevlar) gloves from just about everywhere.
The 'mechanix' style gloves with spandex kevlar and leather are good all around gloves
for manual splitting, but for handling and stacking the wood I am with the majority and
say leather gloves wear better. I have had pretty good luck with Harbor Freight gloves,
and they are cheap so if they wear out, I will have minimal invested. For $25 for the 'premium'
work name brand gloves, I can buy five pairs of these:
http://www.harborfreight.com/split-leather-work-glove-66610.html

You can't tell me that the Kar-Hearts are 5 times better.
Plus I always have a pair to lend out to some 'helping hands' lol

Dont know if there 5 times better dont really care. 3 years 25 bucks and insulated worth atleast 5 times more, that I do know.

I see where most would think like this. I just am not one of them. I also think bigger saws are better and dont care what they weigh...lol

My winter set of carharts. Those cheep pairs of gloves would have you frost bitten today.

2nd set x-mass 2007

Attachments

• gloves.jpg
    gloves.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 489
  • gloves 2007.jpg
    gloves 2007.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 461
I used to buy cheap gloves untill my dad bought me the insulated deer skin ones. defianitly worth the extra money. Not saying there the best in the world, but very good none the less.
I havn't tried the carehart ones yet.

The OP is in Maryland and didn't specify insulated gloves, just ones that wouldn't wear out :p

BTW on Carhardtts own website, the only reviewer said they sucked. You might want to go on there and rave about them and bring it into balance Jay :)

jlove1974 said:
The OP is in Maryland and didn't specify insulated gloves, just ones that wouldn't wear out :p

BTW on Carhardtts own website, the only reviewer said they sucked. You might want to go on there and rave about them and bring it into balance Jay :)

I could care less what others think....My opion is how I spend my money. "Op asking about a good pair of glove" (your is a throw away set).....I have uninsulated one to. I will pay the money for a good pair of gloves chainsaw splitter axes or anything else I want. But You can bet if I own it, its going to be nice or I sell it.

unlike most people believe, it's all relative because it's ALL made in China ;)
look on the labels of your clothes.
My theory is, if it's all made in China, at least I paid less Yuan for it...

Also, my cheep gloves have last 2 years probably because I rotate between pairs ;)

jlove1974 said:
unlike most people believer, it's all relative because it's ALL made in China ;)
look on the labels of your clothes.
My theory is, if it's all made in China, at least paid less Yuan for it...

its not apples to apple here on them gloves heck you can tell by the pic's alone. I dont care what anyone wears, But I do know the differance between a good pair and a throw away. Heck jersy gloves I seen the other day where on sale a buck a pair I bet 25 pairs of them would be along the same thought process you going with this.
You couldnt talk me into a wild-thing either.

My problem is finding any winter work gloves! Even today, I went to the biggest Tractor Supply Store in our area. Same problem; no winter work gloves. They claimed they had some and sold lots of them. Sorry, but I was in that store in October or November and there was not a winter work glove in the store!

For years I wore Wells Lamont that were pile lined and never found anything better. I guess they still make them because I wrote to them. They even gave me a list of stores that carry them. Well, the stores will tell you a different story. End result: nobody has them so I just have to suffer through with whatever I can find. I have some that work pretty good so long as the temperature is around 30 or above but that does not help much right now.

apples to oranges = comparing a chainsaw to gloves

Jersey gloves are $1 a pair, the coated ones are $1.50 a pair, and leather/spandex with velcro cuff are $5

My reasoning is unless they are worth 5 times as much (toughness, insulation, etc) you are paying for a name.

And now, since 95% of "name-brands" are manufactured in China, tell me what you are paying for?

Yes, I agree those gloves you have pictured look like they are worth every penny. But who is to say the current
production run is made equally to yours? Remember the dollar vs the Yuan is a losing proposition.
No company is immune to it, and inflation is real. Value is king. That's just the way it is, like it or not.

Now, that being said send me a pair of those $25 gloves and I'll try my best to prove they aren't worth it.

Backwoods Savage said:
My problem is finding any winter work gloves! Even today, I went to the biggest Tractor Supply Store in our area. Same problem; no winter work gloves. They claimed they had some and sold lots of them. Sorry, but I was in that store in October or November and there was not a winter work glove in the store!

For years I wore Wells Lamont that were pile lined and never found anything better. I guess they still make them because I wrote to them. They even gave me a list of stores that carry them. Well, the stores will tell you a different story. End result: nobody has them so I just have to suffer through with whatever I can find. I have some that work pretty good so long as the temperature is around 30 or above but that does not help much right now.

Dennis, they don't sell them probably for the same reasons as I mentioned. Nobody will pay for a pair of $20 gloves when they can get a pair of $5 ones
at the local china-mart. So in turn, the stores don't carry them. TSC is no different.

But I bet you would find them at Ace Hardware, or any local stores that are along a similar vein. Fortunately for us, we have a local
store here in town and that's where I 'shop local'. But when I am bargain hunting I do it at the source (Harbor Sheight). I even shop clearance at the HF lol.

jlove1974 said:
apples to oranges = comparing a chainsaw to gloves

Jersey gloves are $1 a pair, the coated ones are $1.50 a pair, and leather/spandex with velcro cuff are $5

My reasoning is unless they are worth 5 times as much (toughness, insulation, etc) you are paying for a name.

And now, since 95% of "name-brands" are manufactured in China, tell me what you are paying for?

Yes, I agree those gloves you have pictured look like they are worth every penny. But who is to say the current
production run is made equally to yours? Remember the dollar vs the Yuan is a losing proposition.
No company is immune to it, and inflation is real. Value is king. That's just the way it is, like it or not.

Now, that being said send me a pair of those $25 gloves and I'll try my best to prove they aren't worth it.

lol I just want a "good pair of gloves"! I dont need you to prove anything. I already know what I like better. What I am showing is a good pair of gloves not 1.00 or a 1.50 pair of gloves. If its ok with you I will keep mine and you wear yours. Today would be a good test run for you! 8 degrees right now. lol again.

Status
Not open for further replies.