good haul

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaac Carlson

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2012
NW Wisconsin
I found some wood on craigslist last night and the guy said I could have it all if I came to get it today. I asked a friend and my brother to help and they were more than eager. We showed up and found a 24 inch red oak, a small elm, and a small walnut. The oak and elm were down already and had done a number on the still standing walnut. We limbed the trunks and piled the brush so we could begin cutting rounds. The oak was very hard and a lot heavier than I remember for oak. I had the pickup and trailer just in case it wouldn't fit on one load. It was a good thing I took the trailer. We filled the truck with almost a full cord and then put another two face cord on the trailer. The floor of the trailer was damaged from the last wood haul, so it all went up front. We had roughly 5,000 lbs on the truck and another 4,000 on the trailer for a gross weight of right around 15,000 lbs. The trailer had close to 2,600 lbs of tongue weight due to the wood being up front. We had about a 10 mile drive to get home and it handled well except for a small amount of wander from the trailer being nose heavy. It was a good load and gave us a good workout. I will try to split some tomorrow if I have enough energy. Some of the rounds today were over 300 lbs. The good news is that the big rounds are on the trailer since it was lower and easier to load and the splitter table can sit on the edge of the trailer for easier splitting. I am glad we burn wood.

Like they say Pictures or it didn't happen

I have a 1991 f-250. It has 3 ton running gear under it with air suspension. I try to stay under 8,000, but have had 9,000 on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.