Good Karma? Neighbor wants to buy some wood..what would you do? Update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My feelings on this situation might be a bit different than others, how I would respond would be based on what I would hope for in the future. If you give the wood for free that would be a very neighborly gesture and would likely be well appreciated, you can tell him it is return for help he has given you. I also believe that since he seems like an honest guy, who knows the effort you put into your wood then it will likely be the last time he asks you for wood since he won't want to feel like a freeloader. I don't see anything wrong with handling it like this, might be the way to go if you are the type who wants to be a good neighbor but also gets uncomfortable at the thought of seeing your woodpile
Shrink without feeding your stove.
If you could spare the wood and like the idea of potentially making a few bucks each fall then sell the wood, could become a regular deal. Nothing wrong with that either.

You could tell him that you won't take his money because you appreciate how neighborly he has been and you just don't feel right. If he insists, then the option you noted about if he wants, when you order next year he can get in on the cheaper green price, then take a half cord before the burning season from the cured pile. As others noted, he sounds like a good guy, and would probably offer to help. Even if he doesn't, you are out a half cord, with your tool supply doubling. By offering the next year's partnership, you are nipping in the bud any potential of him coming back for more without paying...since that could create a whole new set of problems.

You could tell him that you won't take his money because you appreciate how neighborly he has been and you just don't feel right. If he insists, then the option you noted about if he wants, when you order next year he can get in on the cheaper green price, then take a half cord before the burning season from the cured pile. As others noted, he sounds like a good guy, and would probably offer to help. Even if he doesn't, you are out a half cord, with your tool supply doubling. By offering the next year's partnership, you are nipping in the bud any potential of him coming back for more without paying...since that could create a whole new set of problems.

daveswoodhauler said:
Stump_Branch said:
Learning all about neighbors and the like here.

I would tend to agree with the give it to him. A half cord aint miuch in the long run (about a solid hours worth of spilting/stacking you were doing anyways) i also agree that some get offended by the counter offer, i would simply start by telling him how much his help has been appriecated, and that means more then money. Plus years of help and tool loaning...? try and rent some tools for $100, sounds like that alone makes it worth it. heck maybe you could even get him to help do some stacking with you next time your splitting (you mentioned he was in good shape, just dont wear him out!), that way you can give him some more wood next year and dont have a feeling one way or another about it.

This is the route I think I am going with. Basically, he used to burn more, but since he only burns 1/2 cord or so, he really can't find a dealer to deliver such a small amount. I think what I will do is tell him that next time I order wood in the spring, I will get some extra and he can pay me for what he wants to take....I suaully get c/s/d green for $175/cord....so next year I will just order some extra...if he doesn;t want it I will certainly burn it :)

Dave, I'd be curious to hear how this turns out for you. Good luck and I do think you are going the right way.

I'd take $100.00. As has been said, this is under the value of the wood & you have every right to the money. You are being a good friend for selling it to him & hopefully helping him move it, Randy

My wood may be "free", but it cost me quite a bit in terms of time and labor.

That said, good neighbors are worth a lot more than a half cord of wood or $100 . . . I'm with the "give it to him for free" camp . . . and be thankful you have great neighbors. As you can see many of us here have good neighbors as well . . . and a few do not have such great neighbors.

hmmm, reading through this I picked up on a couple points that may effect what I would do:
1) Dave has enough seasoned wood for this year and part of next year (not sure what % a 1/2 cord is of this). I know I have worked real hard to get 3+ years ahead. We all know the value of seasoned wood.
2) Dave mentioned buying wood in the spring. Did you buy this wood?

All of the points about being a good nieghbor clearly factor in. Just thinking these points may also sway the outcome.

Got Wood said:
hmmm, reading through this I picked up on a couple points that may effect what I would do:
1) Dave has enough seasoned wood for this year and part of next year (not sure what % a 1/2 cord is of this). I know I have worked real hard to get 3+ years ahead. We all know the value of seasoned wood.

All of the points about being a good nieghbor clearly factor in. Just thinking these points may also sway the outcome.

Good questions, and I'll tell you what I did and why...but to first answer your questions.

1.) I have about 4.5 cords on hand, and burn about 2 a year. Of that 4.5 cords, 3 are well seasoned...20% or less, and I have 1 1/2 cords of oak for next year. (Funny, the 1 1/2 cords of oak I have I thought would be ready for this year...cut in May 2009 and split in Oct of 2009...but you know oak)
2.)I "normally" buy 2 cords of green in the spring, but since the ice storm of late 2008 I didn't have to purchase any wood in 2009 nor this year...so I had about 3 1/2 cords that was from scrounging, families, etc...No hard scrounges, just kinda fell into my lap.

So, what did I do....I loaded up 2 trailer loads and backed them right up to his garage door. (He stores his wood in the garage for the winter)
At our last house, my wife and I didn't have the greatest of neighbors (calling the cops all the time with parties, etc...) so I figure the 2 loads I brought over are on me, and he can let me know if he wants some in the spring when I order and he can pay me for that portion. My wife and I always were always jealous of friends having real cool neighbors, so I guess my thoughts were that this was the neighborly thing to do, and I feel good about it. (Its nice to have nice neighbors)

So, if he offers me $$, I'm just going to politely decline and let him know if he wants an order for next year....if he offers me a beer, I'll probably take him up on that :)

daveswoodhauler said:
So, if he offers me $$, I'm just going to politely decline and let him know if he wants an order for next year....if he offers me a beer, I'll probably take him up on that :)

Good show, I'll let you know when a house comes on the market in my neighborhood.

daveswoodhauler said:
Got Wood said:

Good questions, and I'll tell you what I did and why...but to first answer your questions.

1.) I have about 4.5 cords on hand, and burn about 2 a year. Of that 4.5 cords, 3 are well seasoned...20% or less, and I have 1 1/2 cords of oak for next year. (Funny, the 1 1/2 cords of oak I have I thought would be ready for this year...cut in May 2009 and split in Oct of 2009...but you know oak)
2.)I "normally" buy 2 cords of green in the spring, but since the ice storm of late 2008 I didn't have to purchase any wood in 2009 nor this year...so I had about 3 1/2 cords that was from scrounging, families, etc...No hard scrounges, just kinda fell into my lap.

So, what did I do....I loaded up 2 trailer loads and backed them right up to his garage door. (He stores his wood in the garage for the winter)
At our last house, my wife and I didn't have the greatest of neighbors (calling the cops all the time with parties, etc...) so I figure the 2 loads I brought over are on me, and he can let me know if he wants some in the spring when I order and he can pay me for that portion. My wife and I always were always jealous of friends having real cool neighbors, so I guess my thoughts were that this was the neighborly thing to do, and I feel good about it. (Its nice to have nice neighbors)

I picked up on a point too..... It does make it harder when you "could really use the money". Dave, you are a good man and probably did the right thing. I have found that good deeds seem to come back to me multiplied. Hope your Christmas is a good one. A warm heart might be the best Christmas present ever! Steve

You can't buy good neighbors and definitely can not get rid of bad ones for $100. I agree with Steve - good deeds have a habit of finding their way back to roost.

Dave, may you be blessed seven fold for helping that neighbor. You probably have a good friend for life.

Good job, Dave. You are the kind of neighbor I like to have/be. I've said before that I have a couple of the greatest neighbors in the world. If I walked outside on a cold winter day and my neighbor said "I'm cold and I don't have a coat this year" I'd give him my one and only coat and tell him it's no trouble, then I'd wear layers of shirts for the rest of the season. He'd do the same. I've called over and asked if I could get some help sometime when he is available and he said sure and showed up 2 minutes later. A week later I'll be talking to his son or wife and they'll throw out a "Did you and John get that xyz taken care of the other day? He got up from the supper table without even saying goodbye to anybody!" I do the same for him when I can.

If one of my best neighbors came over to my house this winter and asked for half of my firewood (i need it all) I'd help them put it in their back yard. I wouldn't mention the hardship, I wouldn't pause to think it over. I'd just burn green wood and clean my chimney more. This rule only applies to my best neighbors. If a certain other neighbor came down I'd tell him to F off. The people across the street would get some major price gouging, and just about every one else would be offered wood at a market rate.

good neighbors are an asset that you need to invest in. I never ever forget that.

Dave,
I agree with how you handled this situation
I am sure you will benefit ten fold
karma is a great thing or bad thing
yours will be great

daveswoodhauler said:
Got Wood said:

I have to say after reading some stories here with neighbors complaining to the town/city about woodpiles, neighbors stealing wood and neighbors burning down one's wood supply I am very happy to have some great neighbors . . .

One neighbor is almost always home . . . and was able to tell me who picked up the wood that the town cut and left behind for me (long story short it was an honest mistake made by the guy and I opted to only take half of the wood that he had cut and hauled to his house.)

One neighbor has a wood fired pizza oven and he asked to borrow my splitter . . . which I did . . . since his offer a summer earlier to let me use his pneumatic roofing nailer to build my woodshed was a godsend.

Another neighbor is just an all-around decent guy.

Final neighbor is my Amish neighbor who invited folks to a Pig Roast last Fall . . . so I "paid" him back this year by providing some apple wood for smoking their meat and I let them borrow my splitter for some gnarly sugar maple.

As I said earlier . . . good neighbors are truly worth a lot more than a bit o' wood.

Does being a good neighbor mean that you need to buy off your other neighbor? If giving away your CSS firewood makes you feel good by all means do it. Its one thing to help a friend with a free armload of wood in my opinion & another to give him truckloads of wood. They know where to buy home heating oil & they know where to buy firewood. What if a neighbor comes over & says I'd like to siphen some of your home heating oil out? If a neighbor needed free help all day with a project I'd gladly do it, I'm not giving him my damned firewood though, Randy

Singed Eyebrows said:
Does being a good neighbor mean that you need to buy off your other neighbor? If giving away your CSS firewood makes you feel good by all means do it. Its one thing to help a friend with a free armload of wood in my opinion & another to give him truckloads of wood. They know where to buy home heating oil & they know where to buy firewood. What if a neighbor comes over & says I'd like to siphen some of your home heating oil out? If a neighbor needed free help all day with a project I'd gladly do it, I'm not giving him my damned firewood though, Randy
LoL, I hear ya Randy! I guess it must depend. I know my neighbors don't ask just for the sake of asking and wouldn't ask if they didn't need. my neighbors (the good ones, anyway) aren't moochers. There's a thin line between being a neighbor and a sucker (taken advantage of), I suppose is part of your point.

Danno77 said:
Singed Eyebrows said:
LoL, I hear ya Randy! I guess it must depend. I know my neighbors don't ask just for the sake of asking and wouldn't ask if they didn't need. my neighbors (the good ones, anyway) aren't moochers. There's a thin line between being a neighbor and a sucker (taken advantage of), I suppose is part of your point.
Agreed Danno, I guess each person needs to decide, Randy

Singed Eyebrows said:

Funny Randy.
My neighbor had offered me $100 for a half cord, and I told him not to worry about it...he's not a moocher, and wasn't looking for a handout.

An interesting side note....he bought a new lawn tractor this year, and has his old one still in the shed. (He is the type that cleans his power equipment after each use, and his garage and shed are so clean you could eat off the floor)

Anyway, he says "come over here for a minute" and we go to his shed and he shows me his prior tractor....looks to be an Ariens, bout 10 years old with a 42" deck and a triple bag (hard case)..think it was a 12 horse. So, anyway, he says that he will most likely get rid of it in the spring, and asked if I wanted it? He said that it probably needs about $100 of work on the deck, and he would help me with it. (I only have a small push mower and takes me a while as I have 1 acre...bout 3/4 lawn)
He didn't say sell it, so I'm not really clear as us men don't communicate too well :)...maybe some good Karma!

daveswoodhauler said:
Anyway, he says "come over here for a minute" and we go to his shed and he shows me his prior tractor....looks to be an Ariens, bout 10 years old with a 42" deck and a triple bag (hard case)..think it was a 12 horse. So, anyway, he says that he will most likely get rid of it in the spring, and asked if I wanted it? He said that it probably needs about $100 of work on the deck, and he would help me with it. (I only have a small push mower and takes me a while as I have 1 acre...bout 3/4 lawn)
He didn't say sell it, so I'm not really clear as us men don't communicate too well :)...maybe some good Karma!
that could end up being a pretty sweet deal.

daveswoodhauler said:
Singed Eyebrows said:

Funny Randy.
My neighbor had offered me $100 for a half cord, and I told him not to worry about it...he's not a moocher, and wasn't looking for a handout.

An interesting side note....he bought a new lawn tractor this year, and has his old one still in the shed. (He is the type that cleans his power equipment after each use, and his garage and shed are so clean you could eat off the floor)

Does your neighbor know the proper place to buy firewood? Do you think he might have wanted a "bargain" from you. Like I said, if this makes you feel good then more power to you. Maybe I'm too hard hearted when approached by the hypothetical able bodied neighbor. Helping someone who has been severly injured & needs the wood is a whole nother ballgame, Randy

[/quote] Does your neighbor know the proper place to buy firewood? Do you think he might have wanted a "bargain" from you. Like I said, if this makes you feel good then more power to you. Maybe I'm too hard hearted when approached by the hypothetical able bodied neighbor. Helping someone who has been severly injured & needs the wood is a whole nother ballgame, Randy[/quote]

Read the thread, the answers are all there.
I guess I just see the glass half full.

Does your neighbor know the proper place to buy firewood? Do you think he might have wanted a "bargain" from you. Like I said, if this makes you feel good then more power to you. Maybe I'm too hard hearted when approached by the hypothetical able bodied neighbor. Helping someone who has been severly injured & needs the wood is a whole nother ballgame, Randy[/quote]

Read the thread, the answers are all there.
I guess I just see the glass half full.[/quote] I was sure I did untill now. I guess you see your wood pile half full, Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.